EM TuningAH Fabrications

View Poll Results: Are Personal Plates worth bothering with

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not on yer life

    21 22.83%
  • Maybe

    27 29.35%
  • Yes they are wonderful

    44 47.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 97

Thread: Personal Plates

  1. #1
    RGBArgee
    Guest

    Personal Plates

    What's all the fuss about PP's. I can recognise my motor without one and can remember my Reg.no. so What's the point? Discuss...... Cheers

    R

  2. # ADS
    ADS
     
  3. #2
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    I wouldn't say they are wonderful.

    But i got one for my 18th so i could keep it for the rest of my life.. from car to car.

    And if i'm driving about my mates see the plate and know who i am. Also. to anyone who doesnt know audi's ages. it could be a fairly recent car and not a P reg.


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  4. #3
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,846
    For me personally, it's the finishing touch to a modded car, and one that makes it individual to other cars of the same shape/model. I'm talking nice private plates here though, not P567ABC, and it reads "DANNYBOY" with a few nuts and bolts.


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  5. #4
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    yeah , but i also dislike tacky ones.

    I think mines alright (although i am biased)

    C7 which is just random, but makes the car have no specific age and SRK which are my initials.


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  6. #5
    jdp1962's Avatar
    Grumpy Old Man

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cruising on a mountain of torque
    Posts
    5,317
    I already know my name, I know what car I own, and can recognise it in a carpark.

    If I want other people to know my name, I'll tell them myself free of charge.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.


  7. #6
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,624
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    For me personally, it's the finishing touch to a modded car, and one that makes it individual to other cars of the same shape/model.
    True true

  8. #7
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Seems PP's are winning . How come most Audi's I see don't have them?

    TT

  9. #8
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    For me personally, it's the finishing touch to a modded car, and one that makes it individual to other cars of the same shape/model. I'm talking nice private plates here though, not P567ABC, and it reads "DANNYBOY" with a few nuts and bolts.
    Surely if it's modded that makes it individual? still don't get it.

  10. #9
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    It's just personal opinion mate, some people like it. some people don't.

    or they just cannot justify spending 500quid on a little bit of personalization.

    If you don't want one, don't moan about why people have them lol..


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  11. #10
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    It's just personal opinion mate, some people like it. some people don't.

    or they just cannot justify spending 500quid on a little bit of personalization.

    If you don't want one, don't moan about why people have them lol..

    I am not moaning Sam. Seeking an opinion that's all. Though I would rather spend the dosh on B&O or Bose music or a holiday myself. It's fortunately a matter of personal choice and sorry I don't get it although wish I had kept a few nos I'd had in the 1970's 11 D** and 441 G** sold with cars for less than 100 each!!

  12. #11
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    well either way, I'm quite indifferent about them.. as mine was bought for me.. so just take it for granted really


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  13. #12
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    well either way, I'm quite indifferent about them.. as mine was bought for me.. so just take it for granted really
    I still prefer BOSE or a holiday but each to their own.

    TT

  14. #13
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Glover
    I still prefer BOSE or a holiday but each to their own.
    Same for me. If people like them then good for them but I really cant see the point. I'd rather spend the cash on another more useful mod for the car - If the car didnt need anything then I'd buy the kids a treat instead!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  15. #14
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    lol.. I didn't know i was getting it.. and if someone is going to give me something, i'm not exactly going to well.. hey.. err. can i have one of those instead..?

    Actually. why am i sounding bothered about this.?

    i like them. and don't really care about what music sounds like in my car.. haha. i could sit at home listening to it on the b&o system.. in the car i like engine noises. or a conversation.


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  16. #15
    unkle's Avatar
    Beer God

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,238
    A few years ago when they were rather rare I thought they were quite cool, these days though there seems to be loads, Ive seen an awful lot on Audi A4/A6 estates that tend to be short but look ok to chavvy complicated ones with dodgy fonts, using the screws that hold the plate to the car to spell something on Beemers and kevved up Subarus.

    Guess its about personal choice.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

  17. #16
    K7ERG's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bridge of Earn
    Posts
    350
    I have a personal plate on both my cars. Hides age and people soon know the car buy its plate. I dont see the point in spending 1000's on a plate a few100 is ok.

    The down side to it is if you crash the car it is a bit of a pain and changing it over to another car.


    Just my opinion

    Craig
    Audi A6 2.5 5Cyl tdi Quattro running 180ps 370Nm @0.9bar soon to be over 200ps

    AUDI URS4, URS6 and A4 1.8T breaking Lots of spares available at good prices. Large parts require collecting.

  18. #17
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    this is true the dvla try to be as difficult as possible.. when i crashed my civic it used to be on , it took about a year to change it to the a3..

    And a NO NO is that retarded italic fonts, theres a guy with a vanquish down the road and it reads PAULY i just think. what a bell end. that looks so ****. and nouveau riche.


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  19. #18
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    I thought it was mainly BMW drivers who went for PP's... Is this survey representative?

  20. #19
    unkle's Avatar
    Beer God

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    this is true the dvla try to be as difficult as possible.. when i crashed my civic it used to be on , it took about a year to change it to the a3..

    And a NO NO is that retarded italic fonts, theres a guy with a vanquish down the road and it reads PAULY i just think. what a bell end. that looks so ****. and nouveau riche.
    A Vanquish doesnt need a private plate imho.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

  21. #20
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unkle
    A Vanquish doesnt need a private plate imho.
    Does any nice motor? (Only asking!!)


  22. #21
    unkle's Avatar
    Beer God

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Glover
    Does any nice motor? (Only asking!!)

    I dont think they do unless its a very special or unique plate but then again, its all about personal taste, how many times have any of us been out and about and seen a nice car only to go yuck when you see totally crap alloys on it or naff tints?
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

  23. #22
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unkle
    I dont think they do unless its a very special or unique plate but then again, its all about personal taste, how many times have any of us been out and about and seen a nice car only to go yuck when you see totally crap alloys on it or naff tints?
    Agree.. I may be a SOG but I like genuine original motors, with factory OEM's,... It seems a shame to spend so much dosh on tints, wrong alloys naff tints etc and PP's IMHO... but then again I am a GOM or SOG!!!

    It's the car I am looking at not the add ons. Not to say a bit of engine enhancement is not of interest.

    Cheers

    R . PS I never had disco dangly dice either.

  24. #23
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Some people like to personalise their cars some don't.

    Some people like expensive clothes, other people can't see the point in dropping £3k on a watch etc

    We are all different. Horses for courses.

    I've got private plates on mine and my wifes car. I've had mine for the last 15 years and will keep it. I bought my wifes one about 4 years ago and she is planning on keeping it.

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  25. #24
    Randomjim's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sussex, Uk
    Posts
    2,747
    My mates family all have personalised plates an it does look kinda cool but it just screams bmw 5 series and playing golf to me. Dunno why.
    Built in Germany, Perfected in England

  26. #25
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    my mates dad's garage is as follows:

    Ferrari 612
    355 Spider
    Bentley Continental GT
    Arnarge
    Azure
    Jag XJ220
    Range sport
    Cayenne..

    All of which are numbered from 1 to about 8.. (there are other cars) then they guys three initials. in normal font, looks quite cool when you see them all together.


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  27. #26
    funkidiva's Avatar
    big up and respect to all mankind, one love

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    118

    lol

    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962
    I already know my name, I know what car I own, and can recognise it in a carpark.

    If I want other people to know my name, I'll tell them myself free of charge.
    This I like!!
    funkidiva

  28. #27
    funkidiva's Avatar
    big up and respect to all mankind, one love

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    my mates dad's garage is as follows:

    Ferrari 612
    355 Spider
    Bentley Continental GT
    Arnarge
    Azure
    Jag XJ220
    Range sport
    Cayenne..

    All of which are numbered from 1 to about 8.. (there are other cars) then they guys three initials. in normal font, looks quite cool when you see them all together.

    tell me, what good are they just lookin at em....
    funkidiva

  29. #28
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    my mates dad's garage is as follows:

    Ferrari 612
    355 Spider
    Bentley Continental GT
    Arnarge
    Azure
    Jag XJ220
    Range sport
    Cayenne..

    All of which are numbered from 1 to about 8.. (there are other cars) then they guys three initials. in normal font, looks quite cool when you see them all together.
    If he sold the plates he might have nearly enough for a nice 57 Reg R8 as well !!!!

    TT
    R

  30. #29
    Sam-K's Avatar
    Has a throbbing red german.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Near Aylesbury (home) Stafford (uni)
    Posts
    473
    well recently my mate said they were looking at one , but are going to go for a gallardo superleggera.. :D

    And Funkidiva, looking at them is fine for me, he's not gonna let me drive them is he haha!


    I like "Posh Fiats"

  31. #30
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Glover
    If he sold the plates he might have nearly enough for a nice 57 Reg R8 as well !!!!
    Looking at the cars he already owns i doubt he would need to sell his plates to buy an R8.He must be loaded.

    Im glad ive got my private plate as it helps me remember my name and before you tell me i could BOSE or a holiday,i can afford an holiday and a private plate and would not waste any money on BOSE as i have a much better set up already.

    I think its like any mod/alteration some like them some dont.

  32. #31
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    I've got 'S4' followed by my initials, it doesn't mean I'm aspiring to an S4 although I wouldn't say no to one if I discovered oil in my back garden, my plates were a present from the wife and at the time she correctly said it was one of the few car related presents I could keep for life as I change my motor so often. I love my plates and the exclusivity I think they offer me and I think if its affordable to you its worthwhile. I also like expensive watches when a Casio from Argos for £10 does the same thing, I guess its just personal taste, I'd rather spend a lot of money on something I 'love' rather than compromise with something I 'like'.

    I hate tacky plates and often laugh out loud at italic lettering or poor spacing but if the owner is happy thats there porogative.

    Out of my personal possesions I would list my plate follwed by my brietling as tops and they are the only things I can see me owning 10 years from now.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  33. #32
    funkidiva's Avatar
    big up and respect to all mankind, one love

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    118

    te hee hee, hoo hoo hoo bar humbug

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-K
    well recently my mate said they were looking at one , but are going to go for a gallardo superleggera.. :D

    And Funkidiva, looking at them is fine for me, he's not gonna let me drive them is he haha!

    and why not?????
    funkidiva

  34. #33
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London-shire
    Posts
    55
    Don't see the point in private plates myself. Screams "monied Kevin" IMO.

    On the subject of the non-standard fonts, italics etc, these are supposed to be MOT failure points now. Hopefully this will be the death knell for these ridiculous plate styles...

  35. #34
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by mal79
    Don't see the point in private plates myself. Screams "monied Kevin" IMO.
    Doesnt the royal family have private plates?

  36. #35
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by james0808
    Doesnt the royal family have private plates?
    Queens Roller (BMW) doesn't have plates at all. Now that's cool!!

  37. #36
    dbm
    dbm's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Preston, Lancs
    Posts
    483
    I have a private plate which my Dad bought me as a present when I bought my first car. Because of that it has lots of sentimental value. When I got married I bought the wife a matching plate (they both are B2 plus our initials). Both my folks have matching plates too, so it has become a kind of a family thing.

    I have to say, there is great fun in pulling in to the dealership in your old car with a private plate and seeing your new car waiting there with the same plate on it :-)

    Dan

  38. #37
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbm
    I have a private plate which my Dad bought me as a present when I bought my first car. Because of that it has lots of sentimental value. When I got married I bought the wife a matching plate (they both are B2 plus our initials). Both my folks have matching plates too, so it has become a kind of a family thing.

    I have to say, there is great fun in pulling in to the dealership in your old car with a private plate and seeing your new car waiting there with the same plate on it :-)

    Dan
    I love driving out of dealer with new car and new numberplate. Would have thought you PP folks could recycle the old plates, now that would help to save the planet!!

  39. #38
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Glover
    Queens Roller (BMW) doesn't have plates at all. Now that's cool!!
    Yeah that is cool.
    She still needs them on her privately owned cars though.
    Last edited by james0808; 27th December 2007 at 11:41.

  40. #39
    james0808's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Glover
    I love driving out of dealer with new car and new numberplate. Would have thought you PP folks could recycle the old plates, now that would help to save the planet!!
    If i wanted to save the planet i would get a push bike.

  41. #40
    RGBArgee
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by james0808
    If i wanted to save the planet i would get a push bike.
    Was that with or without a PP (and a bell)?

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO