Personal Plates

Are Personal Plates worth bothering with

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

RGBArgee

What's all the fuss about PP's. I can recognise my motor without one and can remember my Reg.no. so What's the point? Discuss...... Cheers

R:sorry:

I wouldn't say they are wonderful.

But i got one for my 18th so i could keep it for the rest of my life.. from car to car.

And if i'm driving about my mates see the plate and know who i am. Also. to anyone who doesnt know audi's ages. it could be a fairly recent car and not a P reg.

For me personally, it's the finishing touch to a modded car, and one that makes it individual to other cars of the same shape/model. I'm talking nice private plates here though, not P567ABC, and it reads "DANNYBOY" with a few nuts and bolts.

yeah , but i also dislike tacky ones.

I think mines alright (although i am biased)

C7 which is just random, but makes the car have no specific age and SRK which are my initials.

I already know my name, I know what car I own, and can recognise it in a carpark.

If I want other people to know my name, I'll tell them myself free of charge.

jojo said:
For me personally, it's the finishing touch to a modded car, and one that makes it individual to other cars of the same shape/model.
True true

Seems PP's are winning . How come most Audi's I see don't have them?

TT

jojo said:
For me personally, it's the finishing touch to a modded car, and one that makes it individual to other cars of the same shape/model. I'm talking nice private plates here though, not P567ABC, and it reads "DANNYBOY" with a few nuts and bolts.

Surely if it's modded that makes it individual? :sorry: still don't get it.

It's just personal opinion mate, some people like it. some people don't.

or they just cannot justify spending 500quid on a little bit of personalization.

If you don't want one, don't moan about why people have them lol..

Sam-K said:
It's just personal opinion mate, some people like it. some people don't.

or they just cannot justify spending 500quid on a little bit of personalization.

If you don't want one, don't moan about why people have them lol..

I am not moaning Sam. Seeking an opinion that's all. Though I would rather spend the dosh on B&O or Bose music or a holiday myself. It's fortunately a matter of personal choice and sorry I don't get it although wish I had kept a few nos I'd had in the 1970's 11 D** and 441 G** sold with cars for less than £100 each!!:bye:

Sam-K said:
well either way, I'm quite indifferent about them.. as mine was bought for me.. so just take it for granted really :)

I still prefer BOSE or a holiday but each to their own.

TT:icon_thumright:

Rick Glover said:
I still prefer BOSE or a holiday but each to their own.

Same for me. If people like them then good for them but I really cant see the point. I'd rather spend the cash on another more useful mod for the car - If the car didnt need anything then I'd buy the kids a treat instead!

lol.. I didn't know i was getting it.. and if someone is going to give me something, i'm not exactly going to well.. hey.. err. can i have one of those instead..?

Actually. why am i sounding bothered about this.?

i like them. and don't really care about what music sounds like in my car.. haha. i could sit at home listening to it on the b&o system.. in the car i like engine noises. or a conversation.

A few years ago when they were rather rare I thought they were quite cool, these days though there seems to be loads, Ive seen an awful lot on Audi A4/A6 estates that tend to be short but look ok to chavvy complicated ones with dodgy fonts, using the screws that hold the plate to the car to spell something on Beemers and kevved up Subarus.

Guess its about personal choice.

I have a personal plate on both my cars. Hides age and people soon know the car buy its plate. I dont see the point in spending 1000's on a plate a few100 is ok.

The down side to it is if you crash the car it is a bit of a pain and changing it over to another car.

Just my opinion

Craig

this is true the dvla try to be as difficult as possible.. when i crashed my civic it used to be on , it took about a year to change it to the a3..

And a NO NO is that retarded italic fonts, theres a guy with a vanquish down the road and it reads PAULY i just think. what a bell end. that looks so ****. and nouveau riche.

I thought it was mainly BMW drivers who went for PP's... Is this survey representative?

Sam-K said:
this is true the dvla try to be as difficult as possible.. when i crashed my civic it used to be on , it took about a year to change it to the a3..

And a NO NO is that retarded italic fonts, theres a guy with a vanquish down the road and it reads PAULY i just think. what a bell end. that looks so ****. and nouveau riche.

A Vanquish doesnt need a private plate imho.

Rick Glover said:
Does any nice motor? (Only asking!!)

:hubbahubba:

I dont think they do unless its a very special or unique plate but then again, its all about personal taste, how many times have any of us been out and about and seen a nice car only to go yuck when you see totally crap alloys on it or naff tints?

unkle said:
I dont think they do unless its a very special or unique plate but then again, its all about personal taste, how many times have any of us been out and about and seen a nice car only to go yuck when you see totally crap alloys on it or naff tints?

Agree.. I may be a SOG but I like genuine original motors, with factory OEM's,... It seems a shame to spend so much dosh on tints, wrong alloys naff tints etc and PP's IMHO... but then again I am a GOM or SOG!!!

It's the car I am looking at not the add ons. Not to say a bit of engine enhancement is not of interest.

Cheers

R . PS I never had disco dangly dice either.:sorry:

Some people like to personalise their cars some don't.

Some people like expensive clothes, other people can't see the point in dropping £3k on a watch etc

We are all different. Horses for courses.

I've got private plates on mine and my wifes car. I've had mine for the last 15 years and will keep it. I bought my wifes one about 4 years ago and she is planning on keeping it.

J.

My mates family all have personalised plates an it does look kinda cool but it just screams bmw 5 series and playing golf to me. Dunno why.

my mates dad's garage is as follows:

Ferrari 612
355 Spider
Bentley Continental GT
Arnarge
Azure
Jag XJ220
Range sport
Cayenne..

All of which are numbered from 1 to about 8.. (there are other cars) then they guys three initials. in normal font, looks quite cool when you see them all together.

jdp1962 said:
I already know my name, I know what car I own, and can recognise it in a carpark.

If I want other people to know my name, I'll tell them myself free of charge.

This I like!!:applaus:

Sam-K said:

Ferrari 612
355 Spider
Bentley Continental GT
Arnarge
Azure
Jag XJ220
Range sport
Cayenne..

All of which are numbered from 1 to about 8.. (there are other cars) then they guys three initials. in normal font, looks quite cool when you see them all together.

tell me, what good are they just lookin at em....:jester:

Sam-K said:

Ferrari 612
355 Spider
Bentley Continental GT
Arnarge
Azure
Jag XJ220
Range sport
Cayenne..

If he sold the plates he might have nearly enough for a nice 57 Reg R8 as well !!!!

TT
R:hubbahubba:

well recently my mate said they were looking at one , but are going to go for a gallardo superleggera.. :D

And Funkidiva, looking at them is fine for me, he's not gonna let me drive them is he haha!

Rick Glover said:
If he sold the plates he might have nearly enough for a nice 57 Reg R8 as well !!!!
Looking at the cars he already owns i doubt he would need to sell his plates to buy an R8.He must be loaded.

Im glad ive got my private plate as it helps me remember my name and before you tell me i could BOSE or a holiday,i can afford an holiday and a private plate and would not waste any money on BOSE as i have a much better set up already.

I think its like any mod/alteration some like them some dont.

I've got 'S4' followed by my initials, it doesn't mean I'm aspiring to an S4 although I wouldn't say no to one if I discovered oil in my back garden, my plates were a present from the wife and at the time she correctly said it was one of the few car related presents I could keep for life as I change my motor so often. I love my plates and the exclusivity I think they offer me and I think if its affordable to you its worthwhile. I also like expensive watches when a Casio from Argos for £10 does the same thing, I guess its just personal taste, I'd rather spend a lot of money on something I 'love' rather than compromise with something I 'like'.

I hate tacky plates and often laugh out loud at italic lettering or poor spacing but if the owner is happy thats there porogative.

Out of my personal possesions I would list my plate follwed by my brietling as tops and they are the only things I can see me owning 10 years from now.

:happy: :p
Sam-K said:
well recently my mate said they were looking at one , but are going to go for a gallardo superleggera.. :D

And Funkidiva, looking at them is fine for me, he's not gonna let me drive them is he haha!

and why not?????

Don't see the point in private plates myself. Screams "monied Kevin" IMO.

On the subject of the non-standard fonts, italics etc, these are supposed to be MOT failure points now. Hopefully this will be the death knell for these ridiculous plate styles...

I have a private plate which my Dad bought me as a present when I bought my first car. Because of that it has lots of sentimental value. When I got married I bought the wife a matching plate (they both are B2 plus our initials). Both my folks have matching plates too, so it has become a kind of a family thing.

I have to say, there is great fun in pulling in to the dealership in your old car with a private plate and seeing your new car waiting there with the same plate on it :)

Dan

dbm said:
I have a private plate which my Dad bought me as a present when I bought my first car. Because of that it has lots of sentimental value. When I got married I bought the wife a matching plate (they both are B2 plus our initials). Both my folks have matching plates too, so it has become a kind of a family thing.

I have to say, there is great fun in pulling in to the dealership in your old car with a private plate and seeing your new car waiting there with the same plate on it :)

Dan

I love driving out of dealer with new car and new numberplate. Would have thought you PP folks could recycle the old plates, now that would help to :hubbahubba: save the planet!!

Rick Glover said:
Queens Roller (BMW) doesn't have plates at all. Now that's cool!!:happy:
Yeah that is cool.
She still needs them on her privately owned cars though.

Rick Glover said:
I love driving out of dealer with new car and new numberplate. Would have thought you PP folks could recycle the old plates, now that would help to :hubbahubba: save the planet!!
If i wanted to save the planet i would get a push bike.