driving like a spanner in a quick car!!

stokeballoon

Reaction score
Yesterday, whilst driving through Basingstoke, on the ring road.

In the outside lane, 55 mph (in a 60), cars in front, artic on the inside, on the stretch just before the A33 turn off, i was tailgated, he was so close i lost his headlights. then he flashed me, what could i do? Cut the car on the inside up?

So i carried on, and pulled in as normal, when safe to do so.

He charges by, gesturing, and tailgates the guy in front.

Well he was driving an RS4 Avant, sounded lovely.

But right place, right time please!!

rant over

Dave

Ah, I wondered if there was anyone from the Amazingstoke area on here! Im pretty sure the RS4 driver isnt a member on here, obviously thinking he is more important than you were, prat!! Im a big fan of slowing down if im ever tailgated, dont do the slamming of brakes on, just take foot of accelerator & casually slow down! Childish it may be but I dont care, people shouldnt tailgate! Came into the 'stoke yesterday taking the little one to the cinema, was a nightmare for traffic trying to park up & go xmas shopping!

It was a black one, didn't get the reg, the weather was awful, and very dark. He did go past at a large rate of knots, right up until he slammed on, up the 'aris of the next car.

I guess he was a Leatherman - A complete tool.

Dave

If someone's tailgating i like to blip the break pedal usually makes them dig their foot into the floor. and you see the nose of the car dive. love it.. usually bmw owners really!

I don't see a major problem with getting close to a car that is clearly lane hogging and giving them a friendly flash. But when that same car then can't move out of the way anymore you should drop back and give them time to overtake.

You guys would hate germany though. 2 lane autobahn, travelling 120mph in the outside lane while there's a queue of lorries and old people in the inside, and then some tw@ in a big merc will come within a metre of your rear end flashing his lights like a disco.

Sam-K said:
If someone's tailgating i like to blip the break pedal usually makes them dig their foot into the floor. and you see the nose of the car dive. love it.. usually bmw owners really!
Spot on! Works wonders. As for the original post, I think a quick flash you're welded to the outside lane when everything inside is free is fine, but in a long line of cars it's largely pointless.

However, it does depend on the circumstances. Years back a friend injured herself badly at home and after calling 999, they couldn't get an ambulance out to them. So her Dad drove her to hospital 15 miles away in his 911, headlights ablaze at speed and flashing everything in sight. So you never know ...