Chris NottAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ł30 fine :(

6th Gear

Status

Ł30 fine :(

The inevitable happened and i got pulled this morning for my german plates. Ł30 on the spot fine and late for work grrr. Seems the police have nothing better to do at 9 in the morning. Strange thing is i got pulled over two weeks ago and the guy asked about my plates. I said they were for show and he let me off.

Rant over and cheque in the post
    Built in Germany, Perfected in England

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    I got the same once for a dirty number plate. Think it was more to do with the copper following me for about 8 miles on the M27, but couldn't do me for anything else, oh and also when he asked if I could read my number plate of course I couldn't resist!

6th Gear

Status
    Thats stupid. All these foreigners about with latvian an polish numberplates are fine but if ours get dirty of have a small 'd' to the left of them £30 fine.

6th Gear

Status
    Your plates are illegal for a uk registered car... simple... get over it and stop whining... you break the law you take the punishment.

6th Gear
    Candy Tetris Champion, Mahjong Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Status
    auroan you obviously don't know this is a rant thread.
    "Swallow your pride occasionally, it's not fattening." - Frank Tyger
    "Avoid making irrevocable decisions while tired or hungry." - Robert Heinlein

Big Ron

Status
    lol

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    Your plates are illegal for a uk registered car... simple... get over it and stop whining... you break the law you take the punishment.
    I don't think his issue is with the legality of the plates, but more to do with tax payers money financing a pretty pointless cosmetic exercise which has nothing to do with safety, while something like 1 in 6 vehicles on the road is actually dangerously illegal - either unroadworthy, uninsured or unregistered.
    We are constantly told police resources are stretched to breaking point but they still find the time to do this shyte, while round the corner Mrs Miggins is getting mugged.
    When resources are stretched you prioritise.

6th Gear

Status
    And I don't think the majority of people understand why the police pull people over for things like this.

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Status
    And I don't think the majority of people understand why the police pull people over for things like this.
    They do it because its llegal an no body on here is under any illusion that its not.
    Its just that when your in your car that is in tip top condition regularly serviced and well maintained and this happens and while at the side of the road a 20 year old ford fiesta that is being held together with the bird **** its covered in drives by issuing a large smoke screen and the police dont even react to that.
    That is what annoys people. Yes they know there car has illegal plates but are the illegal plates really that bad compared to a car that is not fit for the road?

Status
    Thanks for the explanation - I feel enlightened!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    Thanks for the explanation - I feel enlightened!
    Your welcome. I for one and not an expert on this... but I have a fair incling why police do it, just can't be bothered to explain it as in general on here IMHO most people are anti police... so whats the point.

6th Gear

Status
    They said some **** about speed cameras not being able to read the plates. £30 fine won't put me off though they look good so i'm keeping them on.

6th Gear

Status
    Good on you I'm ordering some plates from dubmeister tommorow.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

German Hardcore

Status
    You can usually get round the fine by doing what I do, keep a set of legal plates in the boot, feed them some bull about being at a show the day before and you were in a rush and you forgot to change them, if you offer to change them there and then 9 times out of 10 you will get away with it.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Turbo
    You can usually get round the fine by doing what I do, keep a set of legal plates in the boot, feed them some bull about being at a show the day before and you were in a rush and you forgot to change them, if you offer to change them there and then 9 times out of 10 you will get away with it.
    Yea i had some in the boot but he wasn't having any of it. Oh well.

Does anyone know if you get more than a fine if you get caught more than once?

4th Gear

Status
    If you get caught twice you risk up to a Ł100 fine and the number plate being withdrawn. Should this be the case you car will be issued with a Q plate making it virtually impossible to sell.

i know this because my own private plate was correct in every aspect with the exception of no space between the number and the last three letters. I got a letter after being spotted by one of the NPR systems stating the above. I avoided a fine but had to have new plates made up and taken to the local DVLA office.

Be careful !!
    Last edited by marms; 17th July 2007 at 23:11.
    I'm an optimist but I don't think it helps much.

A3 8P 2.0TDi S-Line Sportback DSG

6th Gear

Status
    It's not a personalised plate it's just a pressed aluminium german style. Or do the same laws apply?

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah I'm sure the same laws apply. You are effectively misrepresenting the registration number. that is the term used on the letter I got from DVLA. The fact that it was/is a private plate is irrelevant really. Perhaps your number plate doesn't have as much meaning as a private plate but if you loose the number and it's put on a 'Q' plate I don't think you'd be too happy.

6th Gear

Status
    No true maybe i will swap them over and keep the german plates for shows. Cheers buddy.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah I think thats the way forward. Seems a shame really as the German style plate do look good. But as they say ' The law is the law', regardless of whether we like it or not.

I certainly wasn't going to risk loosing a plate that I paid £250 from DVLA and recently had an offer of £2.5k

well you better unsell them, sharpish!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomjim
    The inevitable happened and i got pulled this morning for my german plates.

2003 2.0 FSI SE A4 Avant

A pint of Diesel please!

Status
    Have you tried putting a GB badge over the D part of the badge so it looks like an english plate, except for the pressing? Not sure what it would look like or if it will stop a fine, but...................
    LISTEN TO THE Bluehorses THEY ROCK!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Les 51
    Have you tried putting a GB badge over the D part of the badge so it looks like an english plate, except for the pressing? Not sure what it would look like or if it will stop a fine, but...................
    I might do that because i really like the pressed aluminium look. Then order a set of fully german plates with holders for shows.

Status
    Your welcome. I for one and not an expert on this... but I have a fair incling why police do it, just can't be bothered to explain it as in general on here IMHO most people are anti police... so whats the point.
    "on here" most people are a bit cleverer than your average chav and can handle a 30 quid fine easy so why don't you explain the point?
    vehicle infringement = EASY
    arresting any criminal doing a real crime = SWEAT

5th Gear

Status
    there's some pretty restrictive and definitive rules behind the make up of a number plate. the spacing and number size is clearly defined in the regs as is the overall size, distance to the edge of the plate and the reflective qualities, i'd guess the german ones don't meet many of the regs.

and just my 2p but i think as long as there's no silly sizes or fonts i can't really see any issue with german plates. the jerries are a lot more stringent than we are on safety issues and they work ok for them.
    Dave

"If that's the Turbo Fairy knocking tell Her I'm not in"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomjim
    They said some **** about speed cameras not being able to read the plates. Ł30 fine won't put me off though they look good so i'm keeping them on.
    Yes, it's petty that the police pulled you for the plates, but don't make a bad situation worse. If the same cop pulls you, they'll probably chuck a producer at you and then things get start to get silly - and expensive. Is it really worth it?
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Status
    They don't issue producers anymore now everything's computerised.

2nd Gear

Status
    once again, there is a loophole that makes genuine (i.e. TUV approved) German plates completely legal....
    - Andrew

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BaBs
    once again, there is a loophole that makes genuine (i.e. TUV approved) German plates completely legal....
    Go on.......

2nd Gear

Status
    It's been detailed before...

Schedule II, Part 1 of the "The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001" statutory instrument which is:

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,
    And since GENUINE German plates will be TUV approved... this can be interpreted that German plates are fine on UK roads, for UK cars.

However, it can be countered by saying that the font is of the wrong size, regardless of the legality of the "plate" itself. But considering that German plates are pressed rather than printing, you could argue that the the German font is allowed under the aforementioned Schedule II, Part 1.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I know a bit. I've not heard of anyone using this, but it might be worth a shot
    - Andrew

5th Gear

Status
    I've just swapped mine back to the normal UK types - car's going in to be assessed for the insurance job tomorrow so don't want to give them any ammo not to pay out!
    Justin

2001 VW Golf 2.3 V5 (170) Highline, Indigo Blue - standard, for now...

A4 (B5) SE with a few slight amendments here and there (sold)

Imthegod

Status
    I have got German plates on my car but keep the original plates in the boot just incase. I have white plates on the front and the back but i've been lucky so far as i've had them on for 5 months and havent been pulled! Hopefully my luck continues!

Nick Light

1st Gear

Status
    I see a few (modern) cars with the really old style black with white lettering. As far as I know, that's illegal too. My father in law is a driving instructor and he says there's no law about font, only size and spacing.

Anybody got definitive views on those two points?
    A million-mile fall from grace; thank God we missed the ground

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees
    "on here" most people are a bit cleverer than your average chav and can handle a 30 quid fine easy so why don't you explain the point?
    vehicle infringement = EASY
    arresting any criminal doing a real crime = SWEAT
    As already mentioned. Things like NPR cameras can't read the plates. In todays anti-terrorist climate I think that goes some way towards explaining it.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Les 51
    Since when has "GB" represented England?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nivagh
    I see a few (modern) cars with the really old style black with white lettering. As far as I know, that's illegal too. My father in law is a driving instructor and he says there's no law about font, only size and spacing.
    Anybody got definitive views on those two points?
    Post September 2001:
    "Characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide with a stroke of 14mm. Intercharacter gap is 11mm and the space between the two parts of the registration number is 33mm.The only font allowed is based on the "Charles Wright" font.
    Once again these regulations apply to number plates FITTED after September 2001 .So your car could be 1974 but it would still need to comply IF THE NUMBER PLATES ARE CHANGED.
    It has never been legal to use screws etc to alter the appearance of the characters on the plate and the only other option when buying them is the EU emblem with a national flag e.g. Saltire."

Number plates must be replaced if they have been customised with:
    Stylised letters and/or figures such as italics
    Number plate fixing bolts that alter the appearance of the letters and/or numbers
    The law states that,
    You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
    Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC). Offences may result in any or all of the following:
    A fine of up to Ł1,000
    The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
    The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test
    http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/lea...mberplates.pdf

That's pretty definitive, but then enforcing it is another issue

A pint of Diesel please!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff
    Since when has "GB" represented England?
    Ummm I may be english, but I'm still British!! And I'm proud of it.
    LISTEN TO THE Bluehorses THEY ROCK!

Status
    Doesn't it depend on whether you're talking about tennis or football?

6th Gear

Status
    Got another one last night lol, think i'll call it a day on the german plates. Not risking a 3rd time. Was chatting to the copper for about half an hour turns out he had a B5 2.8Q. Thats 5 times i've been pulled now i must be have a police magnet on my car somewhere.

Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine

Status
    MOT law is different from "police" law....thats what bugs me.
    If the car passes the MOT then surely they should be "road" legal.
    MOT law states that the digits must be a certain height, certain spacing and readable from "i think" around 30 yards.
    The digits width cannot change ie narrow or get wider.
    I will get a copy of the section in the MOT reference book and post it.
    And in reference to people being "anti police"...maybe the police want to have a good think why so many people are "anti them"

Freelance Automotive Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast