£30 fine :(

cal1470 said:
MOT law states that the digits must be a certain height, certain spacing and readable from "i think" around 30 yard

Andymac's post has already confirmed what the digit requirements are...

Andymac said:
Post September 2001:
"Characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide with a stroke of 14mm. Intercharacter gap is 11mm and the space between the two parts of the registration number is 33mm.The only font allowed is based on the "Charles Wright" font

The problems start with the German plates because the letters aren't based on the 'Charles Wright' font (whoever the frig he was?) and if you have the stadt stickers on that's even worse.

I'm just waiting to get stopped for mine...

"Sorry Orofice, er, I mean Officer. I didn'trealise..."

I think next time i get stopped for my "perfectly readable illegal" plates, I'm gonna get out of the car with my hands up and lay speadeagle on the floor face down! Afterall, isn't that what "criminals" do when they are stopped!:no:

They tried to say that the plates weren't readable by the towns cctv so if my car got nicked they wouldn't be able to spot it. But somehow they managed to spot my plates from about 200ft away.

AndyMac said:
Post September 2001:
Once again these regulations apply to number plates FITTED after September 2001 .So your car could be 1974 but it would still need to comply IF THE NUMBER PLATES ARE CHANGED.

Thats not quite true mate, cars produced before 1974 can display vintage plates, to quote: "Vehicles constructed before 1.1.73 may display traditional style ‘black and white’ plates i.e. white, silver or grey characters on a black plate." http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

I wasnt sure the police could do you for having a D on the car instead of GB as all the law says is it must display the distinguishing sign of the member state? Then again I'm not a lawyer or police officer :busted_cop: