Stupid Car Names

smee

Reaction score
To follow on from Smitch's thread regarding the fact that people give their cars names. How about some of the stupid names which manufacturers give cars??

I for one would not be seen dead in either a Misubishi Carisma :puke2: or a Skoda Superb :wtf:

Anybody got any other suggestions of sad or misguided names?

Nissan Qashqai.

What's that all about??????

SsangYong Kryon is my favourite ludicrously named car, shortly followed by the Rexton.

Toyota Picnic
"Yes of course long journeys are a breeze in the picnic"
"pound for pound my Picnic will see off most of the other people carriers on the market, it came top in the Which guide in both blandness and dullness"

I always liked the baby Puma they used to do - the Ford Weasel

Another good new one is the Kia Cee'd. A car name with an apostrophe! Whatever will they think of next? Ampersand??? ("&")

Don't forget the Kia Pride! Who could have pride on one of those!...

How about the Honda Legend? Or - great one this - the Mitsubishi Carisma??? Oh, the irony!!!

The Reliant Kitten always makes me laugh
BMW cocked up with the X5, I understand they wanted to make an M version but can't because Mazda own the MX5 name, shame.

Here are a few from japan;

Daihatsu Applause.
Daihatsu Cube. Not a bad name, considering that this car is pretty much a box with wheels.
Daihatsu Move. I should hope so.
Daihatsu Naked. A mini-SUV ("one box") very popular among the ladies, who generally freak out when I tell then what it means.
Daihatsu Rugger. I guess the upholstery is a key sales point?
Honda Acty. At least they didn't call it "Seizey".
Honda Joy Machine. For a the slightest fraction of a second I had this confused with the Hitachi Magic Wand.
Honda Life. If you have 1,800,000 yen to spare, you too can get a Life!
Honda Mysterious Utility. Indeed.
Honda Stepwgn. "wgn" is pronounced "wagon", of course.
Honda Street. Where exactly are you supposed to drive a Street?
Honda That's. How can a relative pronoun be a name? (I think it might be a play on words for "zatsu", as in "zatsuyou" - capable of many different tasks.)
Mazda Bongo. Pretty hard to beat that. Har!
Mitsubishi Bravo Exceed. Car or giant robot?
Mitsubishi Canter Guts. A light freight truck.
Mitsubishi Delica. The name would be slightly less hilarious on a car that wasn't a turbocharged diesel, 4WD behemoth van, complete with a full-steel bumper / rambar that looks like it could give a brick wall a run for its money.
Mitsubishi Fighter Mignon. Some kind of play on words? Is this supposed to be the filet mignon of trucks or something? I don't think I need to mention that "mignon" means "dainty" in French. Oh, the woes of randomly combining foreign languages...
Mitsubishi Pajero. According to Mitsubishi, "Named after a mountain cat that inhabits the Patagonia plateau region in southern Argentina." Unfortunately, it's also a minimal pair for "Pakero", "one who masturbates". I think it was renamed to Montero or something for foreign markets, but they still make new Pajeros in Japan, including the Pajero Jr. and the Pajero Mini.
Mitsubishi Starion. According to rumour, was supposed to be "Stallion".
Mitsubishi Super Great FP-R Ultra-Economical Motorway Tractor. A very heavy freight truck. It had to be big to fit the name on it.
Mitsubishi Toppo. How many clowns will fit in the trunk?
Nissan Homy. I wouldn't try driving this through the 'hood.
Nissan Sunny. No, it's not solar powered...
Nissan Vanette. At least it is a minivan, so this kind of makes sense.
Suzuki Every.
Subaru Impreza Gravel Express. This mini-SUV wagon, well known for its offroad abilities, can now handle gravel!
Toyota Coaster. "To move without power", or "a defunct CD" - take your pick.
Toyota Comfort. Actually, it is pretty comfortable. If you've ever been to Japan, you've see this car -- it's the standard taxi. It's also the car you use to take your road test.
Toyota Picnic. A 7-passenger utility wagon... that's a damn big picnic. From the pamphlet: "When it comes to the cabin space, it's a joy for claustrophobic."
Toyota Starlet. A wannabe performer? (Actually, I have one, it's not too bad. Update: Before leaving Japan, I sold my Starlet. Three years of hard driving on a 1992 vehicle, with only a burnt-out headlight and one bad wheel bearing. Better than any north american car I have ever owned. What kept this out of the world market? Maybe the name.) Yamaha Vino. A motor scooter. Do you have to get loaded to drive it?

Ok, point taken, back to topic.

Suzuki Whizkid (I think it was a suzuki) or more recently, a Ford probe :wtf:

Nissan did a special edition(?) of the Micra called the Wave :wtf: . Then there's the Isuzu Big Horn (Trooper to you and me) and the Mitsubishi T-Box (say it quickly!)

Or the suzuki cappucino from a few years back. Even had cappucino written the length of it's side.

Nissan did a Nissan Cedric and a Nissan Gloria. His and Hers versions of the same car.

One that baffles me is the Rover Streetwise..????? Nothing Wise about it.

Love that car - take a Rover 25 and stick bits of a plastic dustbin to it to give it that rugged look, then jack the suspension up for that all important off road look.

I must agree with you there Andy, what a pile of **** this is.

Looks like it did a ramraid on the early learning centre

My mateflew in from abroad hired a superb from the local airport went to visit his brother, who said he had never heard of a super B before

Seems to be a pattern here, Mostly japenese cars with daft names, is it due to the translation?? or are just given daft names to wind up the rest of the world???
(this thread LOL)

Here's an italian one to add to the mix...alfa quattrofoglio verde..!!

I'm pretty sure thats a pizza though ???

And what about good old Vauxhall with their "Enjoy" trim level?

Dont know if I would like driving around in a Vauxhall Agila Enjoy!?!

hmm I think its abd enough to name a car Octavia, but a friend of a friend decided to name their new-born daughter after it..

Bash_A3 said:
hmm I think its abd enough to name a car Octavia, but a friend of a friend decided to name their new-born daughter after it..

I agree that naming kids after cars is a bit strange. One of my sons mates is called Karmann :think:

Mate of mine's called Marcos - he's actually a member on here but doesn't log on very often. His loss...

Well, i'm seeing a girl at the mo who's little girl is called Sunny.

Nothing to do with Nissan i hope!!!

I was working in Stevens vauxhall near broadbridge heath some time ago and they had a poster (several actually) advertising the new Vauxhall Zafria, I asked the salesman what a Zafria was and he told me it was a new people carrier, I said isn't that the Zafira? he said it was, so I pointed to the poster and then he twigged, they'd had it up like that for months.

Dodge Charger sounds pretty cool. :cool:

I always thought Mercedes B class sounds a bit sub standard.