Refueling Groans

Trev241

Reaction score
People who don't use both sides of the pump really **** me off, they seem to think the only way to fill the tank is to wait until they can park with the filler cap pump side, leaving other pumps blocked and unused while every other poor ******* sitting behind has to wait, often resulting in cars queuing onto the highway.

"the nozzle reaches the other side of the car if you pull the ****** thing"
:think:

It does but whenever I attempt to pull the nozzle round, it keeps clicking unless you hold the level steady at just half-way. Perhaps this puts others off. But I do agree with you though, it does cause pointless queues.

Used to own a 1984 Ford Fiesta when I was a student, which fills up on the left-hand side, and since few other cars have this, I always seemed to get a free pump quite easily!

What annoys me more though is how drivers manage to get the fuel on the handle in the first place. I'm sick of picking up the nozzle to find it's sopping with diesel. I know they provide gloves but more often than not there's never any left, quite apart from the fact it takes longer to fill up.

I am one such person (wont pull the pipe over the car, not getting fuel all over the handle) - there is a reason for this.

While yes, the pipe will reach, it's normally covered in cr4p and leaves it all over the car, or hits the paintwork and scratches it. Standing for 5 mins holding the pipe up at arms length is not something I would volunteer to do, so I will wait until there is a pump free.

Anyway - if everyone is queueing for a specific pump it must leave the other one(s) free so quit your whining cos you are one of the ones who will use it on either side!!!! :icon_thumright: Either that or there is a queue for all the pumps in which case it makes no difference to you at all anyway :)

OutLore said:
I am one such person (wont pull the pipe over the car, not getting fuel all over the handle) - there is a reason for this.

While yes, the pipe will reach, it's normally covered in cr4p and leaves it all over the car, or hits the paintwork and scratches it. Standing for 5 mins holding the pipe up at arms length is not something I would volunteer to do, so I will wait until there is a pump free.

Anyway - if everyone is queueing for a specific pump it must leave the other one(s) free so quit your whining cos you are one of the ones who will use it on either side!!!! :icon_thumright: Either that or there is a queue for all the pumps in which case it makes no difference to you at all anyway :)
You not strong enough to hold the pipe ? :weight_lift2:
I never manage to scratch my lovely S3 but I do get all the crap on the unleaded pump handle from careless oil burner drivers.

TrevS3 said:
You not strong enough to hold the pipe ? :weight_lift2:
I never manage to scratch my lovely S3 but I do get all the crap on the unleaded pump handle from careless oil burner drivers.

Spence, flex those pecks!:hubbahubba:

I admit i am the guy that doesnt mind holding the pipe for 5 mins.I hold it clear of the bodywork and fill up and drive off before some have even made it to a pump hehe

Byzan A4 said:
I admit i am the guy that doesnt mind holding the pipe for 5 mins.I hold it clear of the bodywork and fill up and drive off before some have even made it to a pump hehe
Simple ain't it:icon_thumright:

It's people queuing for the same pump that blocks the forecourt so no one can get to the other side. That's the problem. If everyone used both sides there would be no queue - it's not really that complicated to work out!

Yep - it's simple, so do it and stop complaining about those who don't want to bother.

I'll wait the extra 5 mins in the car.... Watching you get irate :lmfao:

TrevS3 said:
lol.. they must be careless if they are using the unleaded pump!!!

AndyMac said:
It's people queuing for the same pump that blocks the forecourt so no one can get to the other side. That's the problem. If everyone used both sides there would be no queue - it's not really that complicated to work out!

But surely, roughly 50% of cars have the flap on one side and 50% have the flap on the other?

I just can't see it - I don't think it's ever happened to me personally so I guess I have either been lucky or maybe it's because I fill up at 2 in the morning most days :o.k:

I do think that the petrol stations should go pay at the pump though - that will cure a lot of the queues you guys are all seeing....

"But surely, roughly 50% of cars have the flap on one side and 50% have the flap on the other?"

Eh? not unless 50% of the cars on the road are Japanese!

also what if you use a certain type of fuel and have to queue for that pump?

esp lpg users all queuing up for one pump, and whenever i go to the shell? theres only ever 1 optimax pump on??? or tesco's where there's only 1 in 2 pumps that do the super grade fuels and two of the 6 pumps are pay at pump only?why is that? these appear to be the cause of pump rage as far as i've seen

i usually fill up very late at night/early hours of the morning... no queues at all :)

i always laugh at the idiots who lift the pipe after they finish, in an attempt to get the fuel out of the flexible pipe not realising the stop valve is in the handle

Ah thats easy to get around. Just cut the hose.

an extra 5cl of derv for no more money. Jobs a good un.

Not that simple- a good few of the garages i know only have hoses that are 4ft or so and won't fit around to the other side of the car. So usually i have to wait. But to be fair often i find there's a mix of cars that need opposite sides to fill so it balances out.

I'm agreeing with spence here, I will never pull the hose around my car, why take the risk on it scratching my paint, i'll wait for the pump on the right side. Everybody else can go forth and multiply, i'm not risking my paint for anyone else's advantage.

I'm one of those people, the mess the hoses make of paint whenthey are dragged over it is awful!!

I just lift it over the back of the car and rest it across the rear window. No paint scratches, it's really not that complicated!

on another note in america the nozzle locks in and on so you dont even have to hold it while you are filling up.

oh and I try to avoid holding the pipe across the back of the car, Id rather turn the car round just find it better.

one last thing I do hate is when you use a non self service pump (not many around now but still te odd one) and the fing petrol man leans on your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fingermouse said:
on another note in america the nozzle locks in and on so you dont even have to hold it while you are filling up.

oh and I try to avoid holding the pipe across the back of the car, Id rather turn the car round just find it better.

one last thing I do hate is when you use a non self service pump (not many around now but still te odd one) and the fing petrol man leans on your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AYE

Can't say i've ever thought about it before.

Women **** me off at petrol stations, why don't they sort through their handbag BEFORE they get in the ****** car and why do they always adjust their seat and mirror every sodding time they get in as well?!?!?!?!

Booth_S3 said:
whats wrong with reversing in to the pumps backwards if you filler is on the wrong side?

There's nothing wrong with this, but if you need togo to the pump on the otherside, it would men the petrol station is more than likely busy, so when was the last time you had the room and time to reverse your car to the said pump? probably with other cars waiting behind you no. :p

smitch said:
Can't say i've ever thought about it before.

Women **** me off at petrol stations, why don't they sort through their handbag BEFORE they get in the ****** car and why do they always adjust their seat and mirror every sodding time they get in as well?!?!?!?!

we keep the gun in the bag - so if we're suffering from PMT and decide to rob the joint that day, the bag has to be accessed prior to refuelling...

and as for adjusting the mirrors?...thats coz the vapors from the petrol cause us gals to gain an inch in height!!

hope that helps!! :p

TrevS3 said:
but I do get all the crap on the unleaded pump handle from careless oil burner drivers.

Why would a diesel driver put unleaded in their car?

Also as per topic three point turn or re-enter the forecourt facing the other way problem solved...

unkle said:
Why would a diesel driver put unleaded in their car?

Also as per topic three point turn or re-enter the forecourt facing the other way problem solved...
Of course not, but they do seem to have a habit of splashing residual fuel over the unleaded pump handles whilst replacing the diesel nozzle back into it's clip.
Don't know how they manage it but I have often had diesel covered hands after handling the unleaded pump, maybe it's time to start wearing the gloves provided when filling up with unleaded.

AndyMac said:
I just lift it over the back of the car and rest it across the rear window. No paint scratches, it's really not that complicated!

Not one to try with diesel !!