TV "reality" shows & "F" list celebrities

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Why oh why do people keep putting these things on the tv? - does anyone actually watch this shyte apart from my other half???

e.g - celbrity love island - why would i want to watch these muppets sat in paradise for two months complaining about how rough they've got it?

And where do they get these people from? - there not famous for doing anything useful!!!!

e.g paul danann (he was the little weedy moaning pr@t who'd try to fight everyone when he'd had a half pint of shandy and then run off in tears) - ok, he used to be in a soap (i believe) about ten years ago but thats it, he's done nothing of note recently except waste oxygen.

I won't even get started on the big brother contestants

Rant Over.... (for now)

I like watching Big Brother... Mike A3 please carry on ranting...

Somebody told me the other day that Chantelle off Celeb Big Bro (the dumb non-celebrity one) has written a book, an autobiography or something.

:wtf:

What the hell has she done that's worth reading about, in the year she's been "famous"? :scared2:

its just another way of making big bucks... dullards like her AREN'T REALLY DULL... think about it.

big brother is **** for the record !

why do people sit at home watching people sit in a house ?

Ming Blue said:
I like watching Big Brother... Mike A3 please carry on ranting...

Your wish is my command - none of these people add anything to society IMO - the "celebrity" shows are bad enough - these people are not famous anymore for a very good reason - no-one gives a flying **** about them.

As for big Brother - how can you like it? - it's the worst acting i've ever seen (and i once saw eldorado before they cancelled it!!), as an example take that ex pron "star" (and i use the term "star" in a very very loose sense - no pun intended) leah from big brother, she's apparently a mum with a 12 year old kiddie and she's on national telly talking about how much she wants a good boning - THE POOR KID!!, i'll bet he's bullied rotten at school because his mum has the iq of a goldfish with learning difficulties and can't keep her mouth shut.

MikeA3,

With you all the way on this one. First up against the wall come the revolution I reckon. The whole lot. No mercy. 'Beg for your life **** Off Big Brother!' 'Please let me live. My mother loves me!' 'Well I don't! Mmmwwaahahaha.............' (some sobbing then machine gun fire)

I scan the TV schedules and write off whole channels because the programmes that jump out at me are all the same inane Z list ***** every night. And while we're sort of on the subject W..T..F!!! is that quiz ******** that takes over ITV every night from about ten o'clock!!!! They might as well put up a test card or a message telling everyone that they really can't be bothered anymore. And who do you complain to? It's ITV, they can do what they like so long as they show sodding adverts.

...and breathe...

Rich - I saw that quiz tv thingy once and i know where your coming from - absolute rubbish IMO - bring back ceefax, at least it kept you occupied

I like watching big bro as I've never seen someone crack up live before. It's really car crash tv. It makes you glad you're normal

Geordie Mike said:
It's really car crash tv.

True. It appeals to the lowest common denominator. We really should strive for more though.

"I like watching big bro as I've never seen someone crack up live before. It's really car crash tv. It makes you glad you're normal"
If I wanted to spend 24 hours a day waiting for a car to crash I could do it quite happily on a bridge over the M3. Why don't I do this? Because I've actually got a life.
Anyone who's "into" Big Brother and all the other tabloid, no cost TV that pervades out airwaves these days should really take a long hard look at their own lives rather than the "lives" of a bunch of would be misfits who just want to be briefly famous. There was a time when people wanted to be in a famous band or be a famous singer, now we are breeding a whole generation of people who just want the fame without actually doing anything. Mind numbing, brain damaging shyte for the masses churned out daily because it costs nothing to make. Next stop: "city centre web cam" 24/7 coverage of your local shopping precinct. If you're into this then become a security guard and at least get paid to fry whatever is left of your brain..

batwad said:
Somebody told me the other day that Chantelle off Celeb Big Bro (the dumb non-celebrity one) has written a book, an autobiography or something.

:wtf:

What the hell has she done that's worth reading about, in the year she's been "famous"? :scared2:

its for peeps who watch "ukliving" channel and read "hello" magazine... it started with big bro and now theres celebraty love jungle....Make me a Model, Make me a Footballer, strictly come dancing,x-factor.. join the circus... infact they have even doen one when you pretend to be in a circus..:confused:

MikeA3 said:
Your wish is my command - none of these people add anything to society IMO - the "celebrity" shows are bad enough - these people are not famous anymore for a very good reason - no-one gives a flying **** about them.

As for big Brother - how can you like it? - it's the worst acting i've ever seen (and i once saw eldorado before they cancelled it!!), as an example take that ex pron "star" (and i use the term "star" in a very very loose sense - no pun intended) leah from big brother, she's apparently a mum with a 12 year old kiddie and she's on national telly talking about how much she wants a good boning - THE POOR KID!!, i'll bet he's bullied rotten at school because his mum has the iq of a goldfish with learning difficulties and can't keep her mouth shut.

Late in the evening, you chill out in front of the tv, switching over and there's nothing else on! cos most of the goddamn channels are taken over by Big Brother! (I know thats not true)... keep ranting.. get it all out

Hey, we should try and get on a Grump Old Men - Audi Owners Special :)

I must admit i did watch the first ever big brother now and then and i thought that was actually quite good as the people involved didn't know the show would have the following it did, they were there for the experience, not to get famous.

it's just tragic it's deteriorated into the farce it now is

it's now just used to show what i consider to be the worst of the british public to the rest of the world, and when they evict people on any of these reality shows WHY THE **** DO THEY PAUSE FOR FIVE MINUTES BEFORE TELLING THEM!!!!!!!! - that really annoys me.

I'm going to have to change my username to grumpy old B@stard :)

:applaus: I can't stand the whole celebrity following in general, never mind Z-list ones! What about these low lifes that get paid by news channels to swat up on celebrity gossip?!?!:wtf: Get a REAL job ***! As if I want to sit & listen to who's going out with who & where for half an hour solid! :blahblah1:

Personally I couldn't care about the people on it, but it is escapism pure and simple. I suppose you're anti computer games too, as they have no end product. How about tread mills, you get nowhere? You're only looking at one point of them here.

If I was a psychologist, I'm sure I could spend years making papers on what you actually see on big brother. I'm really not sure about the others, I must say I haven't watched them.

Do you think some people thought the same about professional football when it started? To some people football is nigh on a religion, and for what, ultimately.

Too much of anything is a bad thing, and people who are obsessed with TV need to get out a bit. But just because something is easy and makes you laugh, is that a bad thing?

Mike

Mike, I think the original BB concept was good but it's all the muppets they keep putting in the house now that gets me angry - they keep trying to put in more "interesting" people every year - are they interesting - IMO - NO, not in the slightest and they seem to use the show as a way of getting "famous" without working for it like other celebrities - as an example - chantelle - why is she still in the papers & tv i don't understand it?, she doesn't sing/dance/act/present etc and IMO she's not good looking

You've got to admit, over the past 4/5 years the number of these "reality" shows is increasing and there running out of ideas, I think the latest one is about hairdressing - why ***? - whats next celebrity plumbers?

MikeA3 said:
Mike, I think the original BB concept was good but it's all the muppets they keep putting in the house now that gets me angry - they keep trying to put in more "interesting" people every year - are they interesting - IMO - NO, not in the slightest and they seem to use the show as a way of getting "famous" without working for it like other celebrities - as an example - chantelle - why is she still in the papers & tv i don't understand it?, she doesn't sing/dance/act/present etc and IMO she's not good looking

You've got to admit, over the past 4/5 years the number of these "reality" shows is increasing and there running out of ideas, I think the latest one is about hairdressing - why ***? - whats next celebrity plumbers?

Agree entirely, and can't be bothered with them. Nothing beats the 1st big brother, it can't match it now, as it's lost it's unknown factor.

Well even more good news that Im a celebrity (more like Fuckwhit) get me out of here starts this weekend.
Great!!!:keule:

Will there be any celebrities on it??

I doubt that very much.

Geordie Mike - to equate football or computer games with BB is quite a leap, one I don't think many people would make.
It's not the end product that's the issue, otherwise all TV would be classed as pointless.
Computer games are escapism, BB is not. That's not an opinion that's just plain fact.
Computer games are great as you're actually controlling what's going on in something usually exciting i.e. not trapped in a house. . If you are trapped in a house then you usually at least have a machine gun to cut the feckers to ribbons.
Football is a sport, football is not escapism (unless you're in a wheelchair) and the words don't exist to describe someone who would equate it with BB.
If I really need to point out the difference then I think I'd be wasting my time.
Someone farting is cheap and makes me laugh but I wouldn't necessarily want it on the box 24/7.

Andy,

Equally as big a leap to assume all people play football. What about those who watch it, support a team. What element of control do they have there? And you could also say you have the control on BB of who gets voted out.

I took some stretched examples to make some kind of point. You can't say watching something to switch you brain off is not escapism, fact. That's plain wrong. It may not be for you, that's all. Don't get me wrong, I would go nuts watching it 24/7. Watching people sleeping is pretty damn dull. Is BB any more pointless than Eastenders?

Mike

Well you have a very dumbed down idea of what escapism is. So in your world sleeping is a form of escapism which just makes the whole concept ridiculous. And to say people actually feel they have control in the pointless voting procedure just confirms the IQ of the average viewer.
Escapism as defined by the OED is "the avoidance of reality by absorption of the mind in entertainment or in an imaginative situation, activity, etc"
It is definately not just switching off your brain.
Keywords there are "entertainment" and "imaginative", neither of which could possibly describe BB. I would go further and say escapism is usually defined as something you would not normally be able to do as part of your daily life i.e. far removed from not only the drudgery but also what is realistically possible.
I wasn't assuming all people play football, I was stating that they could if they wanted to unless there was some physical disability preventing them.
Not a huge fan of Eastenders either, but it has a story/plot and I assume some form of talent in the actors. Basically BB is eastenders without any talent, plot or story, but more annoying in that the cast are picked solely for their lack of talent/intelligence and purely to amuse the sad viewers who can then feel superior to them, desperately failing to see the irony of the whole sorry situation.
I just feel it is incredibly sad that this is the route TV broacasting is being forced to take, giving people what they want is very rarely a good idea in any walk of life, just look at America. It's a real shame that we are now producing a whole generation of people who have no attention span, no imagination and no creative ability. BB is just one tiny element, I'm not suggesting it is solely responsible, but it is certainly indicative of the current trend of shallowness & trivia rife in UK society.

Exactly - avoidance of reality. Everyone knows BB is not real. It is scripted as much as they can. As far as something I can't do all day, I know I can't sit on my ar5e watching tv - I have to go to work, things like that. Can't stand Eastenders, I would say that was more far-fetched than BB etc. how many murders can 1 street have? I'd much rather have all the soaps off the TV that BB.

I'd agree with you that the whole "look at me, I want to be famous" is pointless. We'd be better off if all BB contestants were sterilised on application. But it's more harmless than people getting off on drugs and things. Of all the things that is wrong with this country, BB get's nowhere near.

Those people who rant and rave about BB being the source of all evil need to take a better look; maybe they're not getting it. Plainly we're not going to agree here, so be it.

To get to the original point, they do it to make money. Just like most things in the world. How can the Sun be the most popular newspaper in the country??? They just want the money, so go for broad appeal. If you don't like it, watch something else, or go out somewhere, whatever. Just don't make sweeping assumptions on the state of society based on 1 hr/night of muppets on TV being controlled. You're extrapolating way beyond the range of the data, and that's the type of thing in the Daily Mail, clearly an example of a balanced view.

Try reading the post again mate, and the words in it. I think all I said was that BB was one tiny element of a landslide culture in the UK and because of it's success has spawned a whole disease of similar shyte that pervades our screens. But don't underestimate it. Kids see self centered nobodies on TV acting like complete ******* and getting famous. That's pretty compelling stuff.

The point still stands in my mind. Kids also beat the crap out of old grannies and record it on their mobile, lets get on you-tubes case shall we? It is the reaction of these people to BB (and all the other shyte) that is the issue. If we got rid off all reality TV (and and lets get rid of DIY, clothing & the rest, please!!!) it's not going to change a damn thing with them. They're brought up with no ambition, spoon fed through school just waiting to go on the dole and have kids to get more money out of the state. The media report what they want, and people were famous for doing f-all before BB. Perhaps that all these programmes are still running is a relection of how society already was, but I don't agree that it is the cause.

BB is made to seem worse by all the copy cat shows which are just there to make some more money, just like all those damn quiz shows. Just like when changing rooms started there was loads of DIY shows on the TV. One producer has a nit of imagination, they all copy the success.

Mike

"BB is made to seem worse by all the copy cat shows"
I think you've just argued yourself into a corner there.
If BB hadn't ever happened we wouldn't have the copycat shows! Durhhh!

AndyMac said:
"BB is made to seem worse by all the copy cat shows"
I think you've just argued yourself into a corner there.
If BB hadn't ever happened we wouldn't have the copycat shows! Durhhh!

No, just a thing back to perception, and my take on that is BB itself still is good, it's just seems bad as it's tarred with the same brush etc....

Are we happy to say we ain't gonna agree on this one and move on? We seem to be going in circles now, saying roughly the same things in different ways. At least it's all been kept civil and hasn't had to be locked down like other threads today..

Besides which, I'm going on hols, so it's gonna stop anyway.

Cheers,

Mike

I'll finish then with one final comment.
BB by its very nature could only work once. I tried to watch it but to be honest could think off a million things I'd rather be doing/watching. Fairplay, it was an interesting concept, didn't work for me obviously, but as an experiment I guess some people would be intrigued.
The big mistake was to then carry on with it, once everyone knew the format and how it worked. It then became a total farce as it was no longer "real" and has become just the laziest platform to, what passes for, "celebrity" these days and is as tired and desperate as all the copycat rubbish.
Have a good holiday!