getting beyond a joke!!

craigynett

Reaction score
in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of hu
right, not sure if anybody has this happen to them but it's seriously starting to get on my nerves!

I run my own business which i started myself, didn't get any help from anybody else & have pretty much taught myself most things with the exception of doing 1 course to make sure i had a certificate for insurance purposes.

Anyways, I get phone calls most weeks from people that have seen my adverts & want to start their own business doing the same thing. At 1st i would give a bit of advice etc to the ones that had phoned from a landline & they were quite a distance away. My phone shows their area name under the phone number so easy to figure out but now as i travel all over the country with work i've stopped doing that.

Then you get those that phone from a mobile. 1 guy said he was from a different country even though he spoke with what i'd class as normal English accent & his number was an 07 mobile so clearly in the UK!

I can't believe these idiots think you're going to happily give advice/info on what equipment to use etc when they're basically going to be a rival company. I've even had my customers asking me if i'd help them set up. 1 of which is only 20 miles away in an area i cover on a regular basis. Asked if i'd train somebody for him, for a fee of course. Said he'd pass me work on for jobs he couldn't do. Erm...... yeh i bet that would happen

Everything i've achieved i've done on my own. Paid my own way. Made my own mistakes & learned from them! How hard is it for other people to do the same instead of expecting you to make things as easy as possible for them so they can benefit from your hard work

Ever thought of becoming a Business Advisor? There must be money to be had. :superman:

P.S: If you do, I'll need payment for that advice. :thumbsup:

So what is it that you do? How do you do it? What do you use?
Just kidding mate ;)

Reactions: sliced
Know how you feel mate. I run my own business and people/clients/competitors expect me to teach them. You have to be brutal in this game, I believe, and I've found it's quite difficult to switch off from that. I barely trust anyone as I always think they have some underhand tactic on the go (and I'm usually right when I think that). It's basically theft and I hate thieves.

Just keep doing what you do. Do it better. Keep learning and getting better and no one will be able to catch up.

Then just hang up on them?

Within the first 5 seconds of the call you can tell whether they are a customer or a leech. The time they are on the phone you might lose another customer. So don't give them any chance, time is money.

I'd like to think you were to thank for me starting up craig! ! If you'd like to post me your black book of contacts would be great though! I'll pass you all my bristol/brum jobs haha .

Seriously though, I've tried to give a little back to you when I have something you don't, like the tools you recently bought after I'd tested them!!!

I have found with the exception of one person locally everybody in the industry has time for everybody else. even though I know you have better things to do I appreciate u have time to answer my stupid questions as long as I'm not poaching your tt forum customers lol.
I would have liked to go the apprentice route but I'd rather pick and choose the jobs tbh. I'm trying to steer clear of the service and repairs work though. Just diagnostics clocks and keys for me.

I've only had one real waster asking me a million questions about a job that NHN covered in great detail on this forum. . I ended up blocking that number. ill help anyone but I'm quickly learning that doesn't pay the bills!

Nearly every other week I feel like chucking it all iin then today I made a weeks wage. its all good in the end!

Your precode tools are still superior to mine.
Im looking for funding to buy abrites now though, I was hoping to go to ALEX this weekend but i think thats out of the question atm.

I only have to put up with people trying to take my customers, but that's just typical business really.

Competition is healthy for us customers but for the said competition asking for help ??? Hang up every-time is the only option.