Managers

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Another rant - I must be getting old - these are turning into a weekly occurrence!

I should be doing work now, but to be completely honest - im not in the right frame of mind!

Today's rant is about my manager, I like to think of myself as an open person, who is not easily wound up or offended, but the correct thing will utterly miff me - like this one!

Basically I run an IT department at my place of work, we have 3 sites around the UK, 130 users, 96 computers and a total of 11 servers.
When I say I run it - I actually do run it, from the top to the bottom, there is nobody else on the IT team.
Along with this I also look after and programme our PBX phone systems, leased lines - mobile phones, anything technical really as-well as the maintenance and upkeep of our main building anything from contracting roofing companies for repairs to changing light-bulbs - health & safety.etc.

I dedicate a lot of time to my work, often working very long days and weekends, I haven't had a day off ill for years.
As far as im concerned, I work to the best of my ability and provide a good service for the company. My line manager knows little about IT, has never been in the server room and basically doesn't know what I do day-to-day.
The only time we meet is to have our "weekly meeting" and when I need approval for license renewals, large purchase orders, new contracts.etc - I guess so it makes it look like they are "pro-actively" managing ICT.

Before I go on a few more paragraphs, ill cut to the chase.
One of our providers is hosting a seminar not to far away regarding current external threats to business via the internet, after this event at the location there is a round of clay pigeon shooting.
I accepted the event (I don't go to very many - perhaps once a year!) and popped it into my calendar, forwarded my manager the invitation for reference.
I then received an email from my manager (whilst they were sat in the next office) stating that they didn't want me to attend the event due to "conflict of interest" due to the "social leasure activity"

I did push back on my chair a little - so I went and asked why, the excuse I got was "well, the directors don't attend this type of event" I made sure I gave the impression I was not happy in the slightest and bit my tongue.

So this is called a conflict of interest, even though the directors get invited out by the bank to "meet" in restaurants and they happily attend regularly.

Its is one of those times where it would have been a nice little change for a day to attend something like this and would have really enjoyed it, as a break from the day to day hard graft.

Felt like grabbing my stuff and calling it quits earlier, like I have felt like doing on a few other occasions.
Not a good company to work for, a lot of my other colleagues have left over the past year - I feel I may be next.
The pay is good, that's the only thing keeping me here at the moment, but to be fair I would rather take a pay cut and enjoy my job, have peers and be managed correctly.

End.

Don't believe the line given by the government that the recession is over! It's not and anyone moving jobs should be certain of having a soft landing" before making the jump! Other than that... Maybe it's time to take some of the sick leave you've been avoiding for so long! That'll focus minds and add to their appreciation of what you do.

Reactions: NHN
Trust me, the lack of the shooting isn't worth quitting your job over. As a Firearms instructor I have coached at many of these kind of events and its poo. You will spend a lot of time just stood there getting bored watching everyone miss and get frustrated and embarrassed. You will get 25 shots at most and little to no instruction, as the instructor is quite possibly doing it as a favour to the shoot ground in exchange for free practise.

The only reason they are hosting the clay shoot is to encourage people to attend their very boring meeting, most who will attend the meeting will arrive late or for the last hour, so they can go and shoot.

If you really want to bust some clays that bad get your *** to Brum one Sunday and I will take you. £50 will get you a good few hours shooting with around 200 clays, and my free instruction, after which you will be confident enough to apply for your license and take it up as a sport if you so desire.

Reactions: NHN, Sandra, MrBones and 1 other person
I hate it when employers don't know what you do, don't understand what you do, and don't care; I am in a reasonable job, but feel put upon on occasion. I am not as hacked off as you, but I am looking for a change. It can't hurt to look, and you're entitled to time off for interviews. That little interview may be enough to make your manager sit up and rethink his attitude. He may ask you why you are looking to go, and you can give him both barrels.
What can he do? He can't sack you; he can't employ someone else in readiness, because you may not go, and then he is employing two people. That's what I will be doing anyway. Hope you get sorted soon mate.

Trust me, the lack of the shooting isn't worth quitting your job over. As a Firearms instructor I have coached at many of these kind of events and its poo. You will spend a lot of time just stood there getting bored watching everyone miss and get frustrated and embarrassed. You will get 25 shots at most and little to no instruction, as the instructor is quite possibly doing it as a favour to the shoot ground in exchange for free practise.

The only reason they are hosting the clay shoot is to encourage people to attend their very boring meeting, most who will attend the meeting will arrive late or for the last hour, so they can go and shoot.

If you really want to bust some clays that bad get your *** to Brum one Sunday and I will take you. £50 will get you a good few hours shooting with around 200 clays, and my free instruction, after which you will be confident enough to apply for your license and take it up as a sport if you so desire.

Thanks for the offer!
You are true - but its not the event I'm missing I was disappointing over - its the plain attitude of my manager I was having a rant at.
It could have been an afternoon swimming in a freezing lake. - would have been nice to hear "go and enjoy yourself" Ah well.