Neighbours!!!

enoliver

Reaction score
So, here's the story...I moved in with my partner, and put my house on the market; it didn't sell so I started renting it out. there is a fence between my house and the next door neighbour. It is a larch lap fence, and it was erected in 1995.
The neighbour has a large unfriendly dog, which has managed to get through the fence, and "terrorise" my tennants' dog!!
The neighbour contacted me, and together agreed to replace the offending panel. I left it to her to get a tradesmean in, and I paid half of the cost to repair the fence.
2 weeks ago, my tennant called to say that the dog has found another way in, so I went around to see. The fence is certainly on it's last legs, so I spoke with the neighbour, who suggested that the entire fence should be replaced. I agreed, and I went home and checked the deeds, to see that it is actually a party fence, and we are both responsible for the maintenance. So I rang her, and tolld her that I had found someone, who would do the entire fence for around £700. I pointed out that it was a party fence, - she flatly refused to accept this, insisting that it is mine, we discuss viewing the deeds, but hers are with her solicitor!! I offer to go around with mine, to show her, or invite her to call her solicitor, to clarify it with him.
10 minutes later, she rang me back, now accepting that it is a party fence, agreeing to pay half, - but only if we put up close board fencing! as it will last longer.- An extra £50 each. I point out that this fence is nearly 20 years old, and surely is good enough, but no. So, in order that I can get the job done, I agree. but now, she wants to meet the tradesman, to show him which plants he must not tread on! He agreed to go around after work to meet her. Her dog was in the garden, and being viscious, she went to get it, so that he could go and see the fence from her side, but after over 10 minutes of trying, she couldn't catch the dog! and asked whether he could come back another day! Needless to say, he declined, and said that he would be there Friday to do the work. Oh No!! She can't do Friday!! Luckily the fencer said that it was going to be Friday, and she would have to put the dog in the house while he did the fence.
Then I received a number of calls from her, which I didn't answer, until thursday, when I was bombarded with questions such as "what time will he start?" "how will he be able to dig out the posts?" "which side will the face be?" by this time, you may imagine, I was beginning to feel a little irate. She then started asking about paperwork, (and I know she discussed this with him) so I pointed out that he had agreed with her to give her a copy of the invoice, (and found that as with so many other of her questions, there was no point to the question.)
she kept saying things like he won't be able to do this or that; I replied that he is the professional, and if he says he can, then that's good enough for me. She wanted his phone number, and I asked whether I could call her back with it, on the number she had called me on, but that was not acceptable, as it was her work number. What am I meant to do? In the end i had to cut our conversation short!!
Am I going mad? Really, all I want is a f*ing fence!

These things are always tricky. All I would say is that it is sensible to spend the extra on close-board rather than lap panels. They will be far stronger, last longer, and be considerably more large unfriendly dog-proof.

This is why I just don't do pets, what a hassle they cause. I'm with the other two above ;)

shoot the dog, keep the vicious one, no wonder its vicious lol