Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75

    Angry MOT Center Bull****?!

    Partners VW Polo went in for a retest today after a failed MOT.
    The car failed on a could of patches of rust, slightly seized brake and a bulb was 'darkened'.
    Anyway, so we got a quote from the MOT center for the repairs (£500!), wasn't happy with that price, so took it to a indy that i have used in the past.

    Moving on to today, they car goes in for the retest, all work done. and the MOT center fail it again, due to other rust patches?!

    Now can they actually do this? effectively go hunting for more reasons to fail in a retest?!

    </rant >

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    miw615's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    446
    It all depends how long the repairs took before you had it re-tested......................see this info..................

    If Your Vehicle Fails Due to Other Items
    If the vehicle is left at the MOT testing station for repair and is retested before the end of 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed for which no fee is charged.

    If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged.
    In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged.
    Only one free partial retest is permissable per full examination.
    Malcolm

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by miw615 View Post
    It all depends how long the repairs took before you had it re-tested......................see this info..................

    If Your Vehicle Fails Due to Other Items
    If the vehicle is left at the MOT testing station for repair and is retested before the end of 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed for which no fee is charged.

    If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged.
    In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged.
    Only one free partial retest is permissable per full examination.
    Sorry, i should of mentioned, the initial test was on Saturday and the retest was today.. So, 5 days..

  5. #4
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Great Melton Norfolk
    Posts
    1,356
    They should only retest the areas that failed on the old MOT test, but the new rules started yesterday so who knows now what they can do.

  6. #5
    miw615's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    446
    There must be an appeal / advise telephone number - ssems a bit rough to me
    Malcolm

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

  7. #6
    miw615's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by gen.heinz guderian View Post
    new rules started yesterday so who knows now what they can do.
    Any idea what the new rules are - do they relate to cases like this?
    Malcolm

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

  8. #7
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by miw615 View Post
    Any idea what the new rules are - do they relate to cases like this?
    the main change is regarding warning lights on the dash.
    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...RCH%202013.pdf

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by miw615 View Post
    There must be an appeal / advise telephone number - ssems a bit rough to me
    tried calling the vosa number, just rang for 15 minutes with no answer...

  10. #9
    miw615's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by revilo View Post
    tried calling the vosa number, just rang for 15 minutes with no answer...
    Be on the phone first thing tomorrow - good luck !
    Malcolm

    Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line Sportback

  11. #10
    StateOfPlay's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,230
    Happened to me once, failed because of rust on the sill, they failed on the retest as the welding wasn't up to their standard. Took it away and had it tested at another garage and it passed first time. My Dad used to work at Ford Dagenham, and he welded it to a higher standard than he used to on a brand new Ford!

    Some garages are just dodgy.
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

  12. #11
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,121
    Either go to another mot centre for a test to be sure or fix the issues failed on & retest, they would of failed on valid items, not for personal reasons, so that's down to yourself I'm afraid.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  13. #12
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Either go to another mot centre for a test to be sure or fix the issues failed on & retest, they would of failed on valid items, not for personal reasons, so that's down to yourself I'm afraid.
    im going to take it elsewhere tomorrow..

    But if they are failing on something that wasn't spotted in the first test, surely that's neglegant on their part?

  14. #13
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,121
    I know this isn't what you'd like to hear, hate to say it, but ultimately the state of your car is your responsibility, not there's, if it has rust in areas that would fail on, then its for you to check all areas after an advisory.

    I understand you're frustrated, but its not really there fault the cars in a state that's not roadworthy, sorry but its fact, which is why it failed.

    Just take it on the chin, get the car fixed & retest, its not worth the hassle as VOSA will clearly say, does it have rust in the areas noted that's reason for constant failures, you say yes, they say ok then its a failure, game over.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    I know this isn't what you'd like to hear, hate to say it, but ultimately the state of your car is your responsibility, not there's, if it has rust in areas that would fail on, then its for you to check all areas after an advisory.

    I understand you're frustrated, but its not really there fault the cars in a state that's not roadworthy, sorry but its fact, which is why it failed.

    Just take it on the chin, get the car fixed & retest, its not worth the hassle as VOSA will clearly say, does it have rust in the areas noted that's reason for constant failures, you say yes, they say ok then its a failure, game over.
    i haven't had a chance to check their claims yet, but it still doesn't figure why they're adding something on now. Surely they should of checked it the first time round?
    all other areas should of been checke my default anyway right?

    either way I'm not going to dwell on it anymore, I've raised the complaint to VOSA and will leave things at that..

  16. #15
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    RETFORD, NOTTS
    Posts
    1,753
    Can we see the actual fail sheet? Do you know 100% the garage completed all work on that fail sheet? is it 100% a new rust patch?

    MOT is always at testers descretion, was it the same guy retested it?

    Either way, the tester initialy should have spotted ALL areas affected, be it fail or advisery. Within one month of an MOT pass you have the right to appeal if you feel the car shouldnt have passed, but for rust its within 3 months of the test.

    I once went initiated the process on a mk1 mr2 which suffer in some areas very badly, and a hole was not repaired and was obviously a failure. I had just bought the car and suspected the previous owner had given a back hander to the tester. The time and inconvenience this was going to cause my nominated garage for vosa to visit was so great they offered to repair the area to MOT standard for free, rather than have to deal with the vosa appeal.

    Maybe the repairer even dislodged or removed parts showing other failure points, remember the tester is limited to what he can see and is unable to remove trims or components.


    Edit:
    The reason for your appeal will not get you a pass, and tbh will just upset the garage and nominated second garage that vosa visit. The repair will still need to be completed. Any photos of the new area and repaired?
    Last edited by @udi A3; 22nd March 2013 at 00:12.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Fix for Center Console Creak
    By hwmin in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th July 2013, 00:31
  2. RS4 Replica Center Cap
    By CaTFiSH in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th December 2003, 17:47
  3. LOOKING FOR 2000-ISH A4 CENTER CONSOLE COMPONENTS
    By 97AUDIA418TQ in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th October 2003, 21:16
  4. center console / ash tray
    By simonhenchie in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th July 2003, 21:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO