Stopping smoking

coatesy

poking badgers with spoons
Reaction score
Right then iv smoked for years since I was 13/14 I'm 22 now, tbh I don't like it, want to stop as its a nasty *** habbit.

My problem is all day I haven't had anything to smoke and all its done is turn me in to a grade A nasty *******. Also had a massive headache all day.

I don't want to take tablets or stuff off the doctors as I don't really believe in that stuff.

Anyone on here been there done that, what did you do to stop your self going postal and hulk smashing things and people.

I stopped in 1996, after smoking for fifteen years, and twice attempting to stop before then. There's no special secret formula, and every person is different and will have their own reasons to quit, so what worked for me won't necessarily work for anyone else. But in case it's any use, this is what I did.

Firstly, I didn't decide to give up smoking; that was far too big and intimidating a challenge to set myself. I just decided not to have a fag that day (& yes, I was like a grizzly bear with a spike up my backside by the end of the day). But the point was, by only setting myself a small target, I got through it. Next morning, I figured I'd have another go at not having a fag that day.....and so on.

So I gradually strung together a series of individual days without a fag. About a month in, it got hard. I was feeling a bit healthier, albeit not massively, but worse still, I didn't feel any wealthier. I should have been £30 better off a month, but I couldn't see it. So, I realised I needed an incentive. (I keep saying "I", but in fact this was me and and my wife together.)

We went into our local electrical store, and treated ourselves to a brand new TV & VCR, and signed up to pay for them in instalments of £30 a month. The Tv was enormous (22inch, if I recall correctly), plus it and the video were NICAM stereo (imagine that!). Every evening when we sat down to watch this huge screen, and bask in glorious stereo sound, we were reminded this was our reward for not having a fag that day.

It worked.

Reactions: robbiemac
I stopped smoking 3 years ago.

I smoked 30 B&H Gold a day for 25 years. At weekends I probably smoked more than 30 a day.

When the law changed around smoking indoors, I found myself enjoying smoking less and less. What used to be a nice social experience changed to make me a social pariah. I was fed up of having to find somewhere to sneak a fag, and constantly listen to people moaning. Everybody used to look at me smoking, and some would look with disgust, and others would say "that will kill you" and "I used to smoke". Work, pubs, restaurants, all were now a nightmare. Freezing cold weather and I was outside having a smoke freezing my nuts off.

I got so fed up with people moaning that I started to wonder why I even bothered smoking. I realised the craving for a cigarette was controlling my life. And that's why I wanted to quit.

I did use the patches, and when I was bad I also had a lozenge. Every time I was about to buy a packet of cigs I would have a niquitin lozenge. I was on them for a few months, but it was worth it.

They say you are more likely to remain a non smoker if you use a nicotine aid than if you go cold turkey.

Mate, you will go through times when you are climbing the walls. The craving will last for a few minutes, then it will go and come back later.

Good luck.

I'm 6 months into quitting now. I have tried all sorts in the past but by far the best has been Nicorette Gum ( the new one, ice mint 2mg).

Good luck :)

well done you guys that have stopped, well today is the second day, so hopefully i wont rip anyone head off again today lol

just going to keep my self busy at work and avoid the fag smokers !

Good on you mate, if you get really weak, pop into a chemist and buy some nicotine gum. Better you do that than borrow/cadge/buy a ciggie.

I stopped in 1996, after smoking for fifteen years, and twice attempting to stop before then. There's no special secret formula, and every person is different and will have their own reasons to quit, so what worked for me won't necessarily work for anyone else. But in case it's any use, this is what I did.

Firstly, I didn't decide to give up smoking; that was far too big and intimidating a challenge to set myself. I just decided not to have a fag that day (& yes, I was like a grizzly bear with a spike up my backside by the end of the day). But the point was, by only setting myself a small target, I got through it. Next morning, I figured I'd have another go at not having a fag that day.....and so on.

So I gradually strung together a series of individual days without a fag. About a month in, it got hard. I was feeling a bit healthier, albeit not massively, but worse still, I didn't feel any wealthier. I should have been £30 better off a month, but I couldn't see it. So, I realised I needed an incentive. (I keep saying "I", but in fact this was me and and my wife together.)

We went into our local electrical store, and treated ourselves to a brand new TV & VCR, and signed up to pay for them in instalments of £30 a month. The Tv was enormous (22inch, if I recall correctly), plus it and the video were NICAM stereo (imagine that!). Every evening when we sat down to watch this huge screen, and bask in glorious stereo sound, we were reminded this was our reward for not having a fag that day.

It worked.

Exactly what I did. I told everybody I haven't packed up, 'I'm choosing not to smoke today'............ I also kept a packet of fags in the car, so I didn't get 'twitchy'. I've still got them today,, nearly 10 Years later...! :)

Ha.Tried hypnotherapy as im able to go under.The therapist was an attractive blond so you can imagine where my mind was.That didnt work.Tried zyban, had to stop taking them as mr hyde came out and id have told the queen to f off.Tried champix and it seemed to work until i was sizing up windows at work as to whether i could jump out of them (had an insight into depression with them and it isnt nice).Ill try accupuncture next i think, but its purely down to willpower.Tried the electronic fags....i think this is the way to go, but you need to be 100% committed.Im 99% at the mo and its not enough.Good luck

After smoking for nearly 20 years and several dalliances with NRT I used champix and stopped completely after 3 days. Never smoked since in 2 years. Would rather have done willpower alone but they worked for me!

well i still haven't had one three days woo lol and today i haven't had the crappy headache that iv had for the past two days at around lunch time then for the rest of the day ! slow but good progress. thanks for all the good lucks :thumbsup:

Good luck and well done.

I've never smoked but I lost my father 2 1/2 years ago to lung cancer as a result of him smoking a pipe for about 40 years. He wasn't a heavy smoker - used to smoke about 2 ounces a week - which I think is around 40 ciggys equivalent (although no filters on a pipe).

If you want some motivation, visit a hospital and see what years of smoking does to you in your 50's, 60's and 70's.

1st off, Well done for wanting to quit, thats the hard bit over and done with,

The only way to understand what is going on is this, its a drug you are taking, when you feed your drug habit then you feel ok, when you quit you feel grumpy and angry for about a week, Just like when you cant get food,

When you feed your drug habit with the drug it craves then you become happy, and the beat goes on,

But why feed your drug habit with the same drug but in another form? Patch Pills etc etc, I mean you would not give a heroin addict heroin in any other form would you ? no, So why do it with nicotine ?

So TBH 100% with you my friend, you got to go cold Turkey on this one, and concider every day that you continue as a non smoker as an escape from the dirty drug habit that has had you trapped for long enough,

Also when you see your pals all smoking outside the pub in the winter, dont envy them, pitty there sorry arssse that they are still trapped and you have escaped,

Good Luck with your escape, remember why it is that you want to quit, every time you feel like a fag, remember whyat it is that makes you want to quit, I carried a photo of my newly born daughter in my wallet, So every time i wanted to light one up, i looked at her photo and told myself that i was now a non smoker and not a drug addict anymore,
I was a smoker for 16 years and sucked B&H at 40 to 60 a day, then when living in Turkey where fags was 20p a pack i quit, i read a book, Allen Carrs EasyWays to give up smoking, Highly recomend it to anyone,

Stick with it, it will get better.

I gave up 7 years ago now, had no intention of doing so but the day before I did I watched my father return from a quadruple heart bypass he was a smoker a gave up years ago in the 80's.
The shock of seeing him unconscious with the surgery wound uncovered was enough to stop me.

Again well done for taking the first steps.

Its called wheel power, boom boom lol, once you stop, it gets easier & eventually you'll hate the effing thing.

Just ask yourself, whats so attractive about it, do you really like the smell of smoke on your clothes, stinking breath, people avoiding you cause of the habit, trust me it happens, also, IMHO stick an ashtray next to you full of used fags & ash & see how much you like the look & smell of it & I can assure you after a while it will be the most despised thing you can think of, when its up close to you for a while seeing the remnants of smoking, it hits you how disgusting it really is.

Social drinking is the worst, so if you can go out for a few & not feel the urge, you will have conquered it.

Last edited:
thanks lads, well iv done over a week of no smoking fags.

only thing is iv got that chewy head ache back iv had it for days now :( go to bed with it and wake up with it, since it seems like a pretty sound place to get things out iv also on my fourth week of smoking no weed :D that im proud of.

to reward my self for this im looking at buying a mk2 golf to put my time and effort in to, once my a3 is done.

only down side to this stopping smoking is i haven't seen any of my mates for weeks, but i just don't think there bothered about stopping smoking anything!

thanks again for your helpful words.

thats fantastic news mate, your mates will still be there for you later when your ready to re-surface, a goal is a great way of getting what you want, a mk2 golf sure is a sweet reward, heres my mk2 16v that i saved from the crusher,

Image025.jpg

only thing is iv got that chewy head ache back iv had it for days now :( go to bed with it and wake up with it, since it seems like a pretty sound place to get things out iv also on my fourth week of smoking no weed :D that im proud of.

only down side to this stopping smoking is i haven't seen any of my mates for weeks, but i just don't think there bothered about stopping smoking anything!

That is also a ****** good thing to stop doing mate, so kudo's.

You have to ask yourself fella, these mates, are they also tree smokers & if so are they mates that you only hang about with because of this habit, if so, its maybe a good idea to stay away atm, I used to party hard years ago & when I stopped the mates I thought were mates were in truth only mates because of what we did together as such, so I'm glad I made the decision a long time ago to give that life up.

I have smoked on/off in my life, but I gave up for good fair few years ago now, one day just said, no thanks, why bother & havnt smoked since, so if you really want to give up, then you just stop end of, no need for the patches etc, thats just the mind.

Reactions: hartey
I just stopped, same time i broke up with the ex in fact so a double whammy but as she was partly to blame for the smoking (!) that helped + i focused on getting fit instead! It all comes down to will power i think. I do have the occasional one if i have too many beers but fortunately that doesn't happen much !! Stay off the drink to begin with as i was always at my weakest after just a few beers, so cut that out for a few weeks until you get passed the worst of the no smoking!

That is also a ****** good thing to stop doing mate, so kudo's.

You have to ask yourself fella, these mates, are they also tree smokers & if so are they mates that you only hang about with because of this habit, if so, its maybe a good idea to stay away atm, I used to party hard years ago & when I stopped the mates I thought were mates were in truth only mates because of what we did together as such, so I'm glad I made the decision a long time ago to give that life up.

I have smoked on/off in my life, but I gave up for good fair few years ago now, one day just said, no thanks, why bother & havnt smoked since, so if you really want to give up, then you just stop end of, no need for the patches etc, thats just the mind.

cheers dude! these are mates that have been mates since we were born so i don't have that to worry about, its just they need to get there heads out of the clouds lol

I just stopped, same time i broke up with the ex in fact so a double whammy but as she was partly to blame for the smoking (!) that helped + i focused on getting fit instead! It all comes down to will power i think. I do have the occasional one if i have too many beers but fortunately that doesn't happen much !! Stay off the drink to begin with as i was always at my weakest after just a few beers, so cut that out for a few weeks until you get passed the worst of the no smoking!

yeah man i have been staying a way from drink, even though i did buy my self a bottle JD the other day i had some and didn't get the craving for a fag.

i was giving it until October then i was going to set goals and hit the gym, to keep me occupied and get fit!

thats fantastic news mate, your mates will still be there for you later when your ready to re-surface, a goal is a great way of getting what you want, a mk2 golf sure is a sweet reward, heres my mk2 16v that i saved from the crusher,

Image025.jpg

dude that is a beauty i wish i had space like that to play with cars and tools all day long

Still have not smoked woooo!

Also taken the gym back up so iv been two weeks back at the gym everyday.

also taken up drinking green tea and avoiding caffeine and fizzy drinks !

Well done mate, great to see you are doing something really positive.

Treat yourself to a new tracksuit for the gym, or a pair of dark glasses so you don't get caught watching the tight little butt cheeks of the women going up and down on the step machine :lmfao:

When I decided to stop I didn't tell anyone I was stopping so I didn't have them looking on disappointed if I failed and I used a family holiday to Florida for 2 weeks as my start point if i could make 10hrs or so on 2 plains then i had a start so i had my last fag before going into the airport and when we got to Florida I was to busy running after the kids I just didn't have time for a fag and I didn't really feel dr. Hyde coming out as I was in a relaxed holiday albeit chasing the kids. The other bonus to this was I couldn't take the car as I wasn't insured to drive it so couldn't go to the garage and get fags.

A bit of a costly quitting method but worked for me.

I did try a few times before but I think the fact I was not relaxed about quitting and the normal daily stress kept me smoking as it was my way to escape for 10mins didn't help. Stupidly I even tried a cup of coffee ever time I wanted a fag really not recommended by the end of the day I was that jacked up on caffeine I had the shakes and needed something to calm me down

Small steps and take it at your own pace.

I quit smoking recently (after about 20yrs of smoking about 7-10 fags a day)! I used electronic cigarettes after a mate quit using these. I used a company called magicig (although loads about nowadays). Really good and I honestly didn't even notice the transition, way way WAY easier than patches / gum / cold turkey!

Reactions: StateOfPlay
I'm a month off the fags tomorrow. Quit after 25years smoking.
I'm almost 40 so have been a smoker longer than I haven't.
I took my kicking like a man and went cold turkey, I got the patches and lozenges and
put them on the kitchen table where they stayed. In my mind it was like giving up drinking
beer for scotch in order to lose a beer gut. In the long run you're no better off.
Gave them away last week to someone else who I have inspired to quit *proud :) *
I stopped smoking weed last year and am nearly 6 months off of that.
If I'm honest, it was the weed keeping me on the tobacco. As soon as that was no longer
an issue and I was able to get my head right, I quit the fags too.
I've put on some weight, but am trying to get that off now with some strict dieting.

Reactions: NHN and StateOfPlay
Great stuff! Two more ex smokers. It was the toughest thing I ever did, it drives you crazy, but after a few weeks it gets easier and easier.

What do I notice now? Well, I was at a party in a boozer Saturday night, and one guy had to keep popping outside for a ciggie and I realised how desperate it looked. I don't get so distracted at work now, I don't need to stop working when I get stressed and run out for a puff. I have no trouble now with public transport, and flights, as I no longer crave a ciggie all the way through the journey. My car smells nice as it hasn't been smoked in. I have more energy, I can walk for longer, run, swim and feel generally much healthier. My clothes don't stink. I don't even know how much a packet of 20 B&H Gold cost nowadays!

I congratulate you both, well done and good luck for the future. If you need to de stress, just post on this thread as there are a lot of ex smokers on here who totally understand.

Well done that man, keep up the good work, even better you got of the weed aswell.

I stopped when i started stripping asbestos. The 5% chance of dying of respiratory problems is increased to 50% in smokers. London Underground is full of asbestos, i stopped then no further motivation required!

That's some nasty shxt asbestos aswell.

Im same stopped last yr best thing i ever did keep it up its worth it not smelling all the time been able to taste food