Child Parking rant

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled into the child parking space this morning,got out of the Audi and a pink t-shirted gentleman with his wife and kids greeted me with "no children eh!"
My daughter right on cue just got out of the car I pointed to her and said "ermm what do you call that smart ****" and he sheepishly walked away looking the tool he was.

Rant Over

I know this one, my mate was waiting for one of these spaces and sent his wife with 3 kids into Tesco's to get their prescriptions, so went to park in a childspace as soon as one free up. The woman behind him, waiting for the same space decided to protest with her car horn on non stop! He just stayed there until the other half with kids in tow came back 2 minutes later, then the horn stopped!

Hello! So annoying isn't it. My wife is now disabled, and we are amazed at how much attitude we get from people. We have a blue badge, she is clearly disabled, yet they still give out attitude.

I disagree with people who don't need to use these bays, using them. However, a mate, well more of an acquaintance, pulled into ASDA one day straight into a disabled bay. He has a bit of a short fuse and can be a funny bu66er. A middle aged bloke said to him, "OH AYE MATE! What's your disability then?" Without batting an eyelid, Chris replied, "I've got Tourettes, F*** OFF!"

Its a funny one.

If you saw someone park there, and a bloke and his wife get out and walk off without any kids, you'd probably think "feckers". If you were a certain type of person, you'd probably say something as this guy did.

Ok in this case he's jumped the gun, and you did have kids with you, but i'm not sure whats worse? Turning a blind eye to someone who shouldnt be parked there is also fairly ****y?

never an easy call and it does make my blood boil when I see a big fat overweight guy dripping in gold stick his brand new merc in these spaces so it doesnt get damaged and I have a car full of kids with no more child spaces free.

I do think that they should make disabled and child spaces dual purpose. The amount of disabled bays that are empty at the supermarket near me is beyond belief. However having said this they do have an entire double row where as the child spaces are a single row and always full.

Also suprising on how many blue badge holders park in the spaces then walk, unaided to the shops. Surely if you can walk unaided and drive a car you cant be that disabled ?
Before I get flamed I know you can get a badge if you have a disabled relative, but why park there if they are not with you and abuse it.

just my 2p FWIW

I was also at KFC the other day and the car park was pretty empty. I parked with 2 vacant spaces either side of me, to return to a Merc ML320 shoehorned right next to my car so I coudl barely get in it. The space in front of me was free and no cars either side.

I left the idiot with a folded in mirror and a post it not under his wiper, which read something I will not repeat on here !

Anyone look at the YPLAC website ?

One thing that really surprises me is people that make comments about people who are disabled using disabled bays with a disabled badge. You are not medically trained, you have no idea what you are talking about, and it would be far better if you let the real Doctors decide who gets a badge, rather than you making the decision based upon how the person looks when they get out of the car.

Remember, the badges are given to those who are less able than you. Be magnanimous about it, it is the right way to be.

I knew I would get flamed. However the flip side of he coin is with so many benefit cheats and fraud going on, you can easily see how it looks. I mean a friend of a friend of mine has a blue badge due to an old issue with his ankle. He milks it. He is just as able bodied as me and plays five a side football twice a week so why does he get one.

Go figure but I suppose that's society today. Too many liars about.

Reactions: morgan306
Also suprising on how many blue badge holders park in the spaces then walk, unaided to the shops. Surely if you can walk unaided and drive a car you cant be that disabled ?
Before I get flamed I know you can get a badge if you have a disabled relative, but why park there if they are not with you and abuse it.

Not 'flaming' you but people have disabilities that are not so obvious, such as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) which may make walking a lengthly distance impossible due to the incapacity of the lungs, these people do not always need a walking stick or wheelchair so might not seem disabled to the average Joe Bloggs. As for relatives using a blue badge without the blue badge holder being present this is wrong and against the rules of the blur badge scheme. The documentation thats supplied with a blue badge clearly states if this happens the blue badge can be taken off them and the holder/relative fined, I believe this can be quite a substantial amount too.

If in doubt, don't shout or abuse the person, report them.

And the rule states that a blue badge can be used if necessary when acting on the business of a disabled badge holder. For example, if you were picking up oxygen cylinders for a disabled person, you could quite rightly use their blue badge to allow yourself to park closer to the place you are getting them from. You could not use it to go and do your own shopping.

I don't see why it is okay to be mad at disabled people just because there are some liars out there.

Lets be honest here, some people just don't like it that other people can park closer to the store than them. Get a grip!

I do think that they should make disabled and child spaces dual purpose.

+1 on this there are far to many disabled bays and not enough parent and child spaces, but that is just to sensible for the car park authorities.

I for 1 will use a blue badge space if there are no parent and child spaces and lots of disabled spaces.

I actually had an argument with a parking attendant he watched a female in an x5 pull into the last parent and child space with no kids(she returned while we were still arguing and drove off) then he had a go at me for pulling into a disabled spot when i had my 2 boys with me and there was more than a dozen empty ones available. I did eventually move my car into the spot the x5 came out of after I finished with the parking attendant and he went over and reserved the space until I got there.

I may get flamed for this but what the hell, I think that this would be better planned if they put the parent and child spaces at the back of the supermarkets, as really it's a squabble to park nearest the supermarket doors as that 60 seconds walk to there car is such a huge time loss they have to get as close as they can lol. I mean there is no reason parents can't park at the back and walk along the pedestrianised walk ways to the store, granted disabled spaces are at the front for a genuine reason, but I can't think of a reason why parent and child spaces really need to be at the front as well. My local asda have done it perfect disabled spaces are plentyfull and close to the doors, and the parent and child at the rear, the amount of times I go in and I never seem to see a time where non of the bays are empty are virtually never, and the parents happily park up and trott in with there little ones.

Thanks, Chris.

i cant believe people are so bothered about parking close to the store (excluding disabled, obv).
how lazy are people, jeeeez, if anything, if you love your car and are very protective of its shiny paint work, then parking far from the door, and other cars is the best thing to do, which is what i do :superman:then i can simply fly to the door

I always park at the furthest spot from the front door as it keeps me away from the majority of shyte parkers, MPV's and other miseries that could potentially get in my face.

With respect to parent / child spaces, I kind of understand the rationale of them for people with babies who have to physically lift children out of a car, but once a kid is old enough to undo its own belt, are they still a real necessity?.... The only saving grace for me personally is knowing where these spaces are means I can avoid them like the plague.

As for disabled spaces, yet again it's the w@n<ers who buck the system by 'faking it' who ruin it for those who are genuinely entitled. There should be far more focus on identifying these people who abuse the system and backing convictions with serious fines (say £2000+). There do seem to be a large proportion of spaces in this category that remain unused, but until parking systems get smarter shops will always be quota driven.

What stories like this (with respect to Jase's example) reinforces is that there are still an unfortunate % of Brits that feel the need to lead with the accusative tone, jumping in without facts, wanting to get moral high ground, trying to be smart. If they spent as much time looking reflecting on their own lives and habits rather than picking fault with everybody else's this country could be more like it has been during the Olympic 2 weeks, and less like a miserable **** hole. Great end to the story Jase; beautiful justice!

The link shows why you should report those who you think may be taking the pi55:

Stanmore bank manager fined for blue badge fraud - Harrow Observer

If I am not with the wife, I park as far away from the front of the superstore as possible. Too many frantic yummy mummys looking to crunch their huge SUV's into child parking spaces. You seen how they open them doors? You seen how they reverse and stop once they hit something?

One benefit of the Blue Badge is that we do get noticed a lot. I suppose I should have a special T-Shirt made up so the to$$sers who stare at us have something to remember us by.

I park far away when not with my kids

Funny how when we grew up, there was no such thing as parent and child parking bays. Our parents somehow managed to cope????

Funny how when we grew up, there was no such thing as parent and child parking bays. Our parents somehow managed to cope????

LOL I was thinking that! Mind, we never had big supermarkets when I was a kid, just a local Londis or Bishops/Budgens. And when we went to the main town, my Dad always parked in a side street as it was free.

Thats because we used to walk to the little corner shop Jase,all these big supermarkets never existed,we used to have factories there.

I used to sit in the front of the car without a seatbelt before it became law as a young'un! And sometimes I could almost see out the front window if I wasn't clouded in a haze of my parents chaining fag smoke!

How the world has changed, my nephew gets the dog on if he's not buckled in a Recaro child seat and we park too far from the shops (hence why I don't have any of my own!).

Ours - 1977 Volkswagen Passat LS automatic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Was silver like this, reg HUP 782T, bought new from Minories of Durham.

Fair point about no out of town supermarkets. We used to park in the multi-story under the Milburngate Centre in Durham and shop in Hintons or Fine Fare. Or Frank Dee in Gilesgate which is now a Sainsbury's Local.

Last edited: