Selling olympic torches on eBay

Gazthesparky

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just felt I had to have a rant at the fact that there are lots of people selling their olympic torches on.

I feel is outrageous that people who have been granted the privialage to run with the Olympic torch are quite happy to make a profit from selling them. It's not a small profit neither they are selling for thousands of pounds. These people were nominated and lucky enough to be given the Opertunity to run and be able to keep their tourch afterwards as a momento. I find the whole torch relay a farce as it must be costing US tax payers a fortune not only in torches but the 300 crew that are touring the country with the torch. Just for the lucky chosen ones to Opertunity to profit from it it's Outragous!!!! What is even more Outragous is that people are already listing their torches and uniform in Scotland and Wales and they havent even ran there part yet

What I do find funny though is that there are scammers on eBay selling photos of the torch and dumb people are bidding on them the most I've seen for sale is a picture of the torch which the listings at 1500 pound lol

I don't know why I am suprised that this is another thing our country has F***ed up at.

These people who are profiteering from selling there torch should be stripped from the list and have there torch taken away from them

Oh it makes me mad sorry rant over
Your thoughts ?

Still not right and they should have it taken away from them that one you have linked to hasn't even been used

And secondly why the hell would you want to buy one ? "Oh look kids I brought this off eBay for stupid money years ago"

I work in the Tv and film industry if I sold stars old items I would be thrown off the job and sacked because I was profiteering due to working with the stars so why should these people be aloud ?

Isn't it buyers who fulfill the market for things like these torches though ? Given there are so many torches being used, and you can buy them anyway, I personally think buyers are foolish or misguided over any value in excess of a couple of hundred quid for the souvenir factor ...

Martin

I totally agree with the OP and do see a level of disrespect by selling the torches on, however I cant say I wouldnt snap up the opportunity of sinking an easy £111,000 in my pocket.

Yeh it is the buyes fault I suppose I carnt see that they will be that valuable in the future because as you say there's so many of them 8000? Plus all the souvenirs

It is yours to do as you wish. You can keep it for 40 years and let your grandchildren sell it when you die, or you can sell it now and have a good pi55 up.

tbh i cannot see a problem with it.......

if you lucky enough to be chosen to be a torchbearer, it means someone has nominated you for something good you have done, they not rapists or muggers?

if the torchbearers wants a torch to keep or sell... they pay for them, so its not coming out of tax payers money!

....and some are doing more good by giving the money (what they sell it for) to charities they support..
good luck to them id say

A friend of mine is carrying the torch. Not sure if he's selling his, but if not I'm sure he'll probably auction it at his next charity fundraiser. Like it or not greed will prevail for some people and they will cash in. But I don't see a problem with using it for more good. The question is, if you ran with the torch then someone offered you the kind of money that would pay off your debts and put an RS4 on the drive, would you take it?

Meh, if people are willing to spend the money buying then, more fool them... You would be stupid too not sell them if the money could really help, obviously if you were stinking rich, you would keep it.

1. you have to buy the torch, and the uniform, making it yours to do what you like with

2. its the buyers that are stupid

3. who cares?

I still cant believe the prices there going for its crazy.

at the end of the day you are not given them, you have to buy them! making it yours! paid for legit etc,
if some mug wants to fork out shed loads for one and it would benefit your pocket and not your mantlepiece, then so be it i say!
you would not be the first and you wont go to jail or hell for it!
i wish i had one...............................................

if i had one, id sell it.

i wouldnt want such a bling naff object like that cluttering up my house.

Last edited:
To be honest, I thought the whole point of an Olympic torch was only to have one.
The fact that a load have been made defies the point in my opinion.