What's with all the de-tuning?

G

_G_

On behalf of the nation of Wadiya I am outraged that the Audi 1.8 TFSI only offers 160 PS???
Yes the CO2 is lower and the Earff is in trouble but the 2.0 TFSI has 200 and can easily be mapped to 240-245??

Have I missed something.

You have to also bear in mind that cars are tuned to fit in with Audi's marketing strategy, ie to compete with similar offerings from other manufacturers yet not verge on the same territory of other cars Audi sell.

but surely if they sold a more powerful car at a competitive price it would be better? I'm not a marketing guru as you can tell.
these manufacturers!!! there are quite a few engines out there now where the lump is sold as a 1.8 but its just a de-tuned 2.0 for example.

You're assuming everyone 'wants' a more powerful car. For more and more people in this day and age, economy and running costs are more important.

On behalf of the nation of Wadiya I am outraged that the Audi 1.8 TFSI only offers 160 PS???

It feels quicker than 160PS though. And stick £500 worth of remap on it and you've pretty much got the 2.0 TFSI's 200bhp.
People are too hung up on power figures. In my opinion the 1.8T feels only slightly less powerful than the 2.0T, and with a stage 1 remap is probably quicker than one.

I think the 1.8T and its 160bhp has done very well. Especially when you consider it against other cars with similar power figures... i.e. the TDI 140 and 170, and the non turbo 2.0. The 1.8T is a second and a half quicker in acceleration than the 2.0 and TDI 140, and about the same as the TDI 170.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't swap my 2.0T for one, but having been in one I was impressed with how it performed.

Reactions: _G_
im not assuming... im having a rant... at what part did i say that people want this or people deserve that...?? my gripe is with all the manufacturers who stick a 1.8 on a 2.0... and my gripe is that if you get a 1.8 then yes as mentioned above you can stick a remap on it... and yes it will still have the same co2 figure even after the remap (same figure after remap is my assumption)... and my final point is that if they have been selling 2.0's capable of mapping to 240-250 then why have they made a 1.8 that can only be mapped to about 200? Anyhow... im out... dont want no arguements... had my rant :p

Valid rant, but if all cars were as good as they could be from standard thered be no remapping to revitalise your love of your car when you get used to it. And all engines would be turbocharged as standard. Then they'd all have to be limited to stop bad drivers from killing people at rediculous speeds. Well maybe not that extreme, but you get my point.