Fuel panic buying begins...

To be fair, we have a government minister recommending we store emergency supplies in a milk bottle in the shed.

To be fair, we have a government minister recommending we store emergency supplies in a milk bottle in the shed.

that just made me lol :)

first ive heard of this though, whats the crack? before anyone says no i dont watch/listen/read the news i find it depressing, full of death and destruction!!

This smacks of the panic buying before the fuel blockade in 2000, and makes about as much sense; very badly thought out comment by the government though.
I get back to the UK on the 15th, apologies for being selfish but it will hopefully be all over by then

Well, i have just filled the car up, i guess this means im panick buying then!!

I'm panick buying because im not driving round on fumes and i choose to fill up my car just when they happen to announce strikes in 2 weeks!

Unless someone is standing and filling up 10 jerry cans then how can you say people are panick buying.

I remember the last fuel strikes, my dad was the only one driving around as we had a diesel tank at the bottom of our garden, had a couple of thousand litres in lol

LPG conversion time, nearly half the cost/litre, can be tuned to v.nearly same power etc.. 1000quid conversion on a 4 cylinder. You can do the maths..

Luckily i live 2 miles from work and the weather is nice, so ill be biking in for the next few weeks.

Leave the car on the drive with a full tank just incase i need to use it.

Dazmo:1537138 said:

I'm panick buying because im not driving round on fumes and i choose to fill up my car just when they happen to announce strikes in 2 weeks!

Unless someone is standing and filling up 10 jerry cans then how can you say people are panick buying.

I remember the last fuel strikes, my dad was the only one driving around as we had a diesel tank at the bottom of our garden, had a couple of thousand litres in lol

Just filling your car up I wouldn't class as panic buying but your example of filling 10 jerrycans at the same time will happen soon, human nature probably. My main point was if the government are saying people should stock up 'in case' then that our the height of stupidity and will cause the 'panic buying'. All this with the caveat that the media blow everything out of proportion

Just filling your car up I wouldn't class as panic buying but your example of filling 10 jerrycans at the same time will happen soon, human nature probably. My main point was if the government are saying people should stock up 'in case' then that our the height of stupidity and will cause the 'panic buying'. All this with the caveat that the media blow everything out of proportion

I love how the media show a photo of a busy petrol station, probably from rush hour, as is normally the case at that time anyway.

The annoying thing is these strikes are not even about the price of petrol!, so we gain nothing from all of this.

People are panic buying,which is then leaving fuel stations having to close multiple numbers of pumps!

Frankly speaking, i would think its an excuse for many people to take a few paid days off work citing no transport as a reason to bunk off!!!

People are definitely panic buying i've never seen the petrol stations in my area this busy! Every single one has a que, regardless of price.

Just been to fill up after the school run at my local (normally not too busy) Shell station...queuing off the forecourt ***

Couple of people approached from opposite side of road before thinking better of it, then some pr*ck in an A5 tried to jump the queue. He got stared out by everyone then compounded his misery by nearly putting unleaded in his TDI :haha:

I see on the news this morning that certain governmental elements have now said they were wrong with their 'stock up' advice.

No sher ****lock!:mad:

Still, let's look on the bright side. All the time people are panicking over whether they can even get fuel, they're not kicking off about how much it costs.

(I should have been a politician.)

Ive read that fuel spending over the last 2 days has gone up 50%...........that'll make a nice injection into the puplic purse strings given that its nearly the end of the financial year............mmmmm

UK's economy has recovered! Job done!! lol :laugh:

But seriously, got up this morning to go to the wholesalers for stock, petrol station queues along the main road. On the way back 3hrs later, even the most expensive petrol station was jammed up. Had my lunch and fixed 2 cars on my drive then went for dinner at Harvesters @6.30pm, still queuing! What are these people thinking?! You wasted a fiver of fuel just waiting 30 minutes to get to the frikin pump!

Lucky for me, I'm fueled for the next two weeks for what I need to do, Easter weekend might be interesting though...

All the pikeys know now that every car will have a full tank and are now going drilling tanks, this is until they get to mine... Mines empty and will be for the time being :) just because of the pikeys!!!

Not sure if it's true, but I heard that they have to give 7 days notice before they strike. So all these people filling up now will probably have to fill up again before they strike. There really is no need to panic. I am worried that they'll worry about stocking up on normal unleaded though, and neglect us super users.

Not sure if it's true, but I heard that they have to give 7 days notice before they strike. So all these people filling up now will probably have to fill up again before they strike. There really is no need to panic. I am worried that they'll worry about stocking up on normal unleaded though, and neglect us super users.
Thats correct,7 days notice has to be given for any industrial action

Thats correct,7 days notice has to be given for any industrial action
Spot on! So basically all these people who've been panic buying, sat outside the petrol stations with 3/4 of a tank will need to fill up again in a week and the madness will start all over again, and until its confirmed if the strike is going ahead or not. I made a joke yesterday that people will be sat at motorway exits waiting for tankers and then following them.............i didnt think for a second id actually be flipping correct but it seems some people are actually doing it! Quite clearly these people dont work! Also heard a story today of someone who had sat at a petrol station around here for about 45 mins, filled up then went bragging to their friends basically saying "well thats me filled up till June!" There werent enough swear words around for me to cover that one!

Well the majority of stations near me and my workplace are all sold out of everything now!!

On the BBC site they have just have announced that the strike is off (for the time being at least)

Bunch of panic buyers!!

Apparently there have been fights/road rage/burns incidents etc...what is the world coming to over some petrol??

Im getting near to filling up, so thats going to be fun!!

Well last night I did my usual work run last night (manchester, glasgow, edinburgh, newcastle, home leeds) 12am Golden fleece services jct 42 M6 usually not a car in sight just lorrys and the odd van, I turned up to find cars, cars, and more ****** cars!

When I eventually filled up and went to pay COS I HAD TO, I said to the woman at the counter "your a bit busy" she responded with "they are all idiots and will be back next friday when there emergency fuel from this week has gone and before the strike actually starts (if it starts) next friday, they are all coc*s".

..... and that was the best thing a service station assistant has ever said to me lol.

Anyway for the car I have my black bin and green bin full of petrol now, was a right ball ache wheelin em from the petrol station!

I panick bought last night. I was panicking that I only had 10 miles left in the tank, so I bought fuel.

I think it's more then a coincidence that after a mass injection of money into the economy because of all the fuel being bought, the strikes are suddenly off. Will be interested to see what early April's figures show...

Someone at work lives near a Morrisons and was woken up this morning at 4.00am by a queue of cars beeping trying to get into the 24hrs Petrol Station, and by queue she meant more than 20 cars!!!

CRAZY PEOPLE

Just gone for some petrol as I NEEDED some, 530am tesco and a q for petrol, c'mon this is madness!

Its not happenin people!

Grr

They are just crazy. I drive 150 miles aday to work and back so i need to fill up every 3 days wet to morrisons que was was about 20 cars long. so i decided to go get a bite to eat on my way asda was empty so drove straight in and away with no problems and now que and the fuel was cheaper as well result :)

saw loads of garages around my area jammed packed full of people and then later on the same all of them closed due to having no fuel god dam fools wtf is this country coming to get a sodding grip like lol , bet the government are going to have a nice month long holiday now due to all this extra money they have all of a sudden got funny how they suggested it at the end of the financial year though isn't it lol

well i actually went and filled the car up because i didnt want to run out of fuel becuase of these ****** stock pilers,asda had run out round here. the car was half full so would have lasted me another week and a bit

Everyone still going mad today had to wait as I really needed fuel :( and most places have run out to

All of this makes me laugh tbh. Lorry drivers get upto 46k a year and are moaning "it's not enough" what about the guys in the army risking their lives day in day out to keep us safe? Government have 20% of the fuel prices so the past few days they are making a nice bit of profit and then you get the tools who are worried. The strike is going to happen in around a week and a half and everyone is panic buying now? Ever thought you may be low on fuel in 2 weeks time?