eBay rant

smudge_don

Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with some people on eBay!?

I've had 2 items sell over the weekend, both of which i now have problems with.

1st of all, the headunit from my Mondeo ST was sold and i specifically put in the listing that i will only ship to the UK. So who wins it? Some knob from Turkey with 0 feedback. So i now have to wait 10 days to relist the thing before eBay will refund me my listing costs

2nd of all, a set of S4 alloys with tyres. I clearly described the wheels as having curb marks and that the tyres have around 2-4mm of tread. The guy wins, pays via paypal and arranges to pick them up. Great! So far so good. Picks them up, i point out the curb marks and show him the tread on each tyre. He seems satisfied, loads them up in his car and then takes them away

I now get a snotty email from the git saying that the curb marks are more than what i described and that all of the tyres will need replacing. YOU JUST SAW THEM WITH YOUR OWN EYES YOU ****!!! If he had said that he wasn't happy with the condition at the time of picking them up, then fine. I wouldn't have any problems

But why open a case against me now that you've got them home!? AFTER SEEING THEM!?

My ****ing lord some people are annoying!!!!!! :mad:

Same story here mate, it stems from the fact that that the seller can't leave negative feedback to the buyer, the very people who pay these ebay charges are getting done over basically!

I wasted 7 days listing an item, another 7 days waiting for the seller to pick them up, then a further 7 days to open a case against this **** so I could relist the stupid item after I opened a case against them. All the buyer did was stay silent, and there's nowt you can do! Luckily for me, after relisting the item, I had a genuine buyer click on 'buyitnow' and came to pick them up the following day!! And it was a coincident that he happened to be a fellow member on here, so a big thanks to you, you know who you are. :icon_thumright:

Some people are total twats on ebay.
He's rasied a case now cause he can claim for the money back from paypal and try and keep the alloys.

Why did he not pay cash if he was collecting them?

The bad thing is that you got no cover as a seller, it all goes to the buyers favour over yours.
its a big crock of ****!!

Same story here mate, it stems from the fact that that the seller can't leave negative feedback to the buyer, the very people who pay these ebay charges are getting done over basically!

I wasted 7 days listing an item, another 7 days waiting for the seller to pick them up, then a further 7 days to open a case against this **** so I could relist the stupid item after I opened a case against them. All the buyer did was stay silent, and there's nowt you can do! Luckily for me, after relisting the item, I had a genuine buyer click on 'buyitnow' and came to pick them up the following day!! And it was a coincident that he happened to be a fellow member on here, so a big thanks to you, you know who you are. :icon_thumright:

Sounds like you got lucky!

Some people are total twats on ebay.
He's rasied a case now cause he can claim for the money back from paypal and try and keep the alloys.

Why did he not pay cash if he was collecting them?

The bad thing is that you got no cover as a seller, it all goes to the buyers favour over yours.
its a big crock of ****!!

He wasn't originally going to pick them up apparently, he was going to arrange his own courier. Then he had to travel to London on business so arranged to pick them up

I don't understand how he can spend 15mins inspecting the wheels with me, and then put in a fecking claim once he's taken them!?

So the 'he inspected alloys and took them away satisfied' is not a good enough for paypal to honour the payment?

That's what i've put on my response to the case, but i'll no doubt get shafted!!

Sorry to say but paypal and ebay are in favour of buyers
my guess is he will get a refund and you will have to go and collect the wheels
hes probably banking on you not collecting them ,A few weeks time and they will be for sale on ebay .Its an absolute joke Ebay is run by gangsters for gangsters .(scammers)

I've had 2 issues I sold a surround sound to a guy who wanted me to pick him up from the station bring him to my house to see it working.....Like the hell thats gonna happen then when we agreed a compromise (I play it to him down the phone and send pictures of the front during operation......I ask you the extremes we go to!)
He then arranges collection via a friend............ I still had to go to the ****** station to meet the guy!!!
Issues me with good feedback and txt me saying its great......."soddin well should be Sony surround sound for about 60 notes!!!" then about 2 or 3 days later opens a case against me saying it doesn't work!!! well he got it both ****** barrels I tell you, and when I e-mailed ebay they suggested a refund..........**** OFF he got nothing and we both moaned at each other via feedback!!! funny really!!! and more recently I have listed a few items that have ran for a week with bids and watchers and then about 2 hours from the end e-bay removed the listing saying it was a breach of rules or something.......well if thats the case why accept it in the 1st place and let it run for a week!!!!!!!!!
God the more I think about it the more I lose it
God damn you fle-bay

If he's collected them then PayPal and eBay should uphold to this and accept your end of the arguement. Especially if he has taken the item with him. In every listing I always make sure I state that I will NOT be reponsilble for any damage during any delivery and that they are sold as seen. But as Lingy said they favour buyers - fortunately I have never some accross any buyer/seller issues expcept for one and that was sorted personally without involoving eBay (one lad failed to mention tyres on a set of wheels were lifeless - this was the first time I used eBay).

eBay winds me up something rotton especially when people take about 10 years to give feedback back for something they have bought off you. It kinda helps to know if they have receieved the item.

eBay actually asked me to comment on whether I would recommened it to a friend and the reason why I gave my rating - I bascially blunty told them they are a bunch of rip of merchants when it comes to fees on ebay and PayPal. It cost me around £15 in fees to sell something for £110 plus £10 postage. It's an absolute joke especially considering ebay and PayPal are the same company.

I'd have bought the S4 wheels smudge :p Well, maybe not, but i'd love some, ha! Surely if some dude has collected them from you he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Had you shipped them I could see why, but if he inspected them first then he MUST be a ******.

As for eBay, i've all but given up on it. I have a few bike bits to sell, but can't bring myself to stick them on eBay. I'd rather do it through forum friends/ associates and hope for the best. Even if I was to lose out once in a while it'd still be cheaper than eBay crap.

Lets start an auction site for used items where honest people can bid on things and win bargains. We could call it electronic-Bay. :think:

There are other auction sites out there but sadly nothing as easy or as well known at ebay.

I got loads of random bits of crap I need to sell but apart from ebay I'm not 100% sure on the best way to unload them.

Ebay has shafted itself. You used to be able to get a bargain on it but now it's just full of over priced crap and anything that's any good will end up fetching near enough what you would pay for it new. Part of the reason is ebays own greed, the fees are now so ridiculous as a seller that it's near impossible for most people to make a profit off anything unless they sell it at an inflated price. The whole feedback process is a farse now as well, people used to care about it and it was a two buyer/seller thing but none of it is believable anymore.

My old man used to put a lot of his business through ebay but the fees and the amount of time wasting fannies buying then not paying or asking for an engine to be shipped to Argentina have put him right off. Ebay had a really good thing but it just seems like their own greed will eventually kill them.

The problem with eBay is that you can now advertise an item to billions of people worldwide. So it's never going to be beaten is it

This is the guys message to me in the paypal dispute:

The item was significantly different to the ebay auction description:
'All wheels are in excellent condition, with a few kerbing marks on 1 or 2 of the alloys, but nothing major. All come with Pirelli tyres which have around 2-4mm of tread left, however the spare is almost bald and will need replacing.'

Four out of five wheels have significant damage, tyre tread depth is below the legal requirement on three tyres (excluding spare) & the one tyre with tread as per description is flat. Damage to the wheels includes severe scraping on the wheels spokes, significant 'curbing' to the rims, paint defects and lacquer damage.

All the damage has been photographed and the wheels will be stored inside for the duration of this dispute.

I have contacted the seller who initially maintained I had checked the condition of the wheels and was satisfied. I disputed this fact and the last message I received suggested I was acting maliciously: (quote) 'otherwise you would have common sense to check the item before loading it up into your car'. I bought the item in good faith as per auction description and under ebay rules.

To which my reply was:

Buyer came to pick the item up from me as requested within the eBay listing. During this time, the buyer had PLENTY of time to thoroughly inspect the items, i even pointed out some of the scuff marks to him on the wheels to which his response was "ye that's fine"

I do not understand how he can be disputing the item when he actually saw them with his own eyes when picking the item up from me. If the buyer was unhappy at the time of seeing the item, then i would have happily refunded the money. The fact that he has had the opportunity to say that he was dissastisfied, yet he was clearly happy with the condition of the wheels as he loaded them into his car and took them away, makes me think that the buyer is trying to falsely claim his money back and keep the item for himself, leaving me out of pocket and without my item.

The buyer clearly had a perfect opportunity to turn down the completion of the sale at the point of picking up the item from me, but declined this opportunity as he was satisfied with the condition of the wheels.

I therefore do not feel that a refund is fair and that this whole thing is a complete waste of time. My eBay feedback is 100% and i have had an account for years. I have always been a trusted seller and i am not happy that this buyer is trying to make a false claim against me

He's really aggrivated me now. He's clearly trying to pull a fast one the cheeky w@nker

I don't think he's out and out trying to rip you off, I reckon he's had a PROPER look at them now and decided he doesn't like the damage or someone has said something out it to put him off.
I felt the same when I bought some wheels, but didn't have the cheek like this guy to try and get a refund. I just took the hit and made sure I didn't do the same again.

Why not offer to give him a refund minus your fees (or 50% of them as a compromise) on the condition that he returns the wheels to you. If you don't want to risk ebay/paypal making a decision, that is.
Otherwise stand firm.

I don't think he's out and out trying to rip you off, I reckon he's had a PROPER look at them now and decided he doesn't like the damage or someone has said something out it to put him off.
I felt the same when I bought some wheels, but didn't have the cheek like this guy to try and get a refund. I just took the hit and made sure I didn't do the same again.

Why not offer to give him a refund minus your fees (or 50% of them as a compromise) on the condition that he returns the wheels to you. If you don't want to risk ebay/paypal making a decision, that is.
Otherwise stand firm.

I don't see why i should have to refund anything seeing as it's his ignorance that has lead to his problem

save his user name then when he sells something screw him over job done tit for tat :sly:

Dont get me started on ebay jerks, will just make me extremely angry, the word USED usually denotes an open box, so hows that make it new, you cretin ******!!!!!!!

Anyway always ring paypal about your claim as its mostly automatic, recently I rang & got the wrongly opened case against me closed in my favour in 2 minutes flat, certainly shutup the buyer very quickly, now thats not for all you understand, but paypal's auto decision is usually to allow return end of, challenge it if your case if valid.

Problem is as a seller you're almost blackmailed without a word uttered to you, given if you dont do as the buyer wants you most likely would lose the case & also get negative feedback, the feedback system is absolutely ridiculous now, complete farce, I had 1000 deals with perfect feedback & one non english speaking t055er ruins it all because of his lack of the english language.

Dont get me wrong its helped me out many times, its a great business idea that I wish I'd thought of, but its also become way to greedy & steadily becoming a place people are beginning to turn against with fees being so high & CS is absolutely terrible.

Anyway, given he collected, they should fall in your favour as he visually inspected, which is why you should ring paypal immediately & explain that fact clearly, they should accept this & close case, now should they be on a thick headed day, they will ask the buyer to return the item to you, at that point I hazard a guess he will think again, he wont get the money & the wheels end of as you have to accept that as a suitable solution, if you dont allow then paypal wont give him both.

ebay/paypal now offer a return service that they would pay for if you complain about paying return costs, as a buyer that is.

One thing that always ****** me of with ebay as a buyer, if someone sells you a faulty item, sends wrong thing, fake etc etc, you're liable for the return costs, which is totally unfair if its the sellers fault for sending it incorrectly as such, that really ****** me of chronically.

Accepting Paypal for items being collected is a no no. Paypal only accept "electronic proof of delivery" as evidence in any case of goods not received by a buyer.

So, if your man was trying to rip you off, that's what he would have done.

Sounds like he was too much of a pussy to complain at the time he picked them up, and then got buyers remorse when he got home.

Compromise. If he gets them back to you, you will issue a refund. Then relist them on eBay. Headache gone away!

I sold some joker a pair of brand new in the box never used indoor outdoor 100v JBL speakers £380 worth, he paid £80 and as i work in London I even took them into the city and handed them over to him for cash. His feedback to me - negative with one word "Disappointing" what the hell did he want, I contacted him and got an e-mail from e-bay telling me to stop hassling him, wont be selling any more as I cant deal with ar$e h*les any longer.

I don't see why i should have to refund anything seeing as it's his ignorance that has lead to his problem

You "shouldn't" have to, but it might be wise to. There is a difference.
You'd have your wheels back for resale and will only be somewhere between £0 to a few quid out of pocket.

Or continue with the fight on principle and see what happens.

Dont get me started on ebay jerks, will just make me extremely angry, the word USED usually denotes an open box, so hows that make it new, you cretin ******!!!!!!!

Anyway always ring paypal about your claim as its mostly automatic, recently I rang & got the wrongly opened case against me closed in my favour in 2 minutes flat, certainly shutup the buyer very quickly, now thats not for all you understand, but paypal's auto decision is usually to allow return end of, challenge it if your case if valid.

Problem is as a seller you're almost blackmailed without a word uttered to you, given if you dont do as the buyer wants you most likely would lose the case & also get negative feedback, the feedback system is absolutely ridiculous now, complete farce, I had 1000 deals with perfect feedback & one non english speaking t055er ruins it all because of his lack of the english language.

Dont get me wrong its helped me out many times, its a great business idea that I wish I'd thought of, but its also become way to greedy & steadily becoming a place people are beginning to turn against with fees being so high & CS is absolutely terrible.

Anyway, given he collected, they should fall in your favour as he visually inspected, which is why you should ring paypal immediately & explain that fact clearly, they should accept this & close case, now should they be on a thick headed day, they will ask the buyer to return the item to you, at that point I hazard a guess he will think again, he wont get the money & the wheels end of as you have to accept that as a suitable solution, if you dont allow then paypal wont give him both.

ebay/paypal now offer a return service that they would pay for if you complain about paying return costs, as a buyer that is.

One thing that always ****** me of with ebay as a buyer, if someone sells you a faulty item, sends wrong thing, fake etc etc, you're liable for the return costs, which is totally unfair if its the sellers fault for sending it incorrectly as such, that really ****** me of chronically.

Never thought of ringing them before. Will do that on my lunch today

Don't give in the buyer sounds like an idiot! I'm with you he saw the wheels and if he didn't like them he should have sais so before taking them. In my view he should "put up or shut up"
Stick to your guns buddy

I've currently got an issue on eBay. I bought a part on eBay which I also saw was listed on PistonHeads however, the eBay acution had two days left on it so being a thinking man, figured I'd bid there in the hope of beating the price they wanted on PistonHeads. Auction ended and I got the item for 50% less than the PistonHeads listed price, GREAT! Payment sent immediately yet thus far nothing received and no indictation of postage. I've contacted the seller and asked when they will be sending this but I've heard nothing back. It just p*sses me off as what I suspect is happening is that they want more than the price I paid, well tough sh*t as you should really know the risks of an auction or set a reserve.

I've currently got an issue on eBay. I bought a part on eBay which I also saw was listed on PistonHeads however, the eBay acution had two days left on it so being a thinking man, figured I'd bid there in the hope of beating the price they wanted on PistonHeads. Auction ended and I got the item for 50% less than the PistonHeads listed price, GREAT! Payment sent immediately yet thus far nothing received and no indictation of postage. I've contacted the seller and asked when they will be sending this but I've heard nothing back. It just p*sses me off as what I suspect is happening is that they want more than the price I paid, well tough sh*t as you should really know the risks of an auction or set a reserve.
How long ago did you win the auction?

About 5days ago with estimated delivery time stated as 3-4 days via first class post. I appreciate we've had a weekend in between but it would be nice if the seller has sent it if he'd mark is as 'dispatched' at least. One more day and I'll file for my money back.

Last edited:
Allow little bit longer tbh, could of had family emergency, also ebay also allow longer before claim can be opened usually, just send them a message stating you'd like an update on the parcel, tracking info within 3 days or you will have to ask ebay for a refund, simplesss, no need for animosity over 5 days with a weekend in between.

Kind of desperate for the part TBH, I calculated the end time and delivery estimate before making the purchase. I'll give it until Thursday, that's a clear eight working/postal days. A little frustrating as when I sell my stuff, it's already boxed and ready to go right away.

Feedback.

Positive/Neutral/Negative

Hmmmm, wonder which one you will be choosing LOL

ANd don't forget the Star ratings, communication lol

The guys probably reeling from the price .Hence hes slow to deliver
Just give it time then do as Nige said mate

I did a similar thing to you and got my item for around 40% less, plus the seller had to pay ebay charges, so a double whammy! Difference was I went to pick the item up, the guy was desperate to move them on though, so didn't mind taking a hit to shift them!

some people are complete scammers, sold a phone, explained it needed a new battery as the one with it conks out after an hour, the women who bought it emailed to say she isnt happy the battery runs out so quick and wants £40 compensation..... WTF

Lol, well I won't give negative feedback if it manages to turn up this week but I think they've pretty much ruled themselves out of a positive review based on the lack of communication. When you sell something on there you pretty much become a little business for that transaction and need to honour an agreement/treat the purchaser as a customer IMO. C'mon lad, get the bits to me so I can complete the friggin' build!

Be patient! Did it mention anywhere on the listing how long for postage from end of auction?? Some listing state posted within 5 days of auction end, then you would have the time to actually get delivered! Just a thought!

We sold some car bits. The buyer waited 2 weeks before paying, we messaged asking when payment would be made. When he eventually paid late one evening, after no replies to us, we posted his item the next morning . He left us negative feedback because we were slow to post out!!! Idiot! As a seller you cant leave negative back!

Yep, the listings do say "Delivery:estimated within XX working days"

Can't rely on others, only on yourself.

Any news mate?

Paypal have said to the buyer that he must return the item to me and provide a tracking number, at which point i'll have to issue a refund

This was on Friday, and i've heard nothing yet. I bet he doesn't go through with it, which is fine with me