cyclists!

quattro1

Reaction score
im gonna keep this short and sweet because i could rant for hours about these *****!

dont get me wrong, a family out on a bike ride - not got a problem with

but these helmets that go out in huge crews and ride 3 in a row down country lanes, i could honeslty mow down. im getting worked up just thinking about it! was stuck behind some of these gimps on saturday for atleast half an hour, beeping and showing my....displeasure and they were lapping it up!!

cant the police do them for like, obstructing traffic or something?! lol

thats what gets me the most, i didnt want to mention it because it makes my blood boil! and have you seen the ones that have the little red stick poking out of the side of their bike to show how much room they want?! no word of a lie one guy had one about 4 feet long! lol ARGH!! id love to sneak up behind one and slap him/her round the back of the head with a fish

Its illegal to ride more than 2 abreast iirc. At least thats what the coppers told me when I was younger.

They were being prats. Whenever I go out with my cycling mates as a group we never ride like that - as soon as you can hear a car behind we all string out single file. It's just being courteous to other road users.

see if all cyclists were like that then there wouldnt be a problem in the slightest! but literally ALL of them around here get really arsy even when you safely overtake them! which is all well and good but when you have a guy in stupidly tight spandex giving you a load of abuse, its abit of a surreal experience :) lol

Absolutely does my head in too!

But you know what kills me more??? Cyclist who ride in the road when there is a perfectly good cycle lane two foot to the left of them!!! :banghead:

Near to where I live there is a two way road which is pretty narrow, so the council have painted the cycle lane on the pavement instead (which is pretty wide).
But do these cyclists use it??? Nope.
All of them ride in the road, totally ignoring the cycle lane.

It makes it a real squeeze sometimes getting past them without colliding head on with a vehicle coming in the opposite direction.

So what do I do??? I hold my line when approaching the bike from behind and if I get a little too close for their comfort.... it's their fault.
Also, just as I am level with them I.... HHOOOOONNNKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

There's a set of traffic lights at the end of the road so sometimes the cyclist that I've given a near heart attack catches me up. Some of them try to have have a go at me. I tell them to "F*CK off or face death".
Nobheads.

Lmao or face death that's brilliant! I'd love to retrofit a full Auto bb gun behind my grill and just own them If the twats are in anything other than single file!! Lol

We've been here before on 'why don't cyclists use cycle paths'. To recap my previous argument, people on bikes generally fall into 2 camps:
1. The person using a bike to get from A to B, likely not to be riding that fast;
2. The person who is riding a bike for sport, who is likely to be riding fast.

I fall firmly into the latter category and I do not use cycle paths unless they mirror a very busy road or have been properly designed as in effect a completely separate lane. Most UK cycle paths are poorly designed and are simply there so the local authority can meet some sort of quota or qualify for extra cash.

Painting a white line on a footpath and calling it a cycle path is acceptable to those in group 1, but for those in group 2 they are dangerous. If I'm doing 20mph - I'd rather be in the road with the cars than on the footpath with dog walkers, pedestrians with ipods who have no idea of what is around them, people reversing out of their drives etc.

I appreciate that may cause some slight delay for others, but I keep to the left and wave people past. And yes, I do stop at red lights. And yes, I don't weave through traffic unless it is completely stationary - i've been knocked off too many times. And yes, if I see some other people on bikes behaving like prats I shout 'It's people like you who give cyclists a bad name.' I've even done that in France (although my spur of the moment attempt at translation had the rest of my mates creased up with laughter).

Ultimately our roads are bordering on the third world in terms of their surface quality, and are getting busier all the time. The utopia of empty roads is something we are never going to have again (unless fuel prices people off the road), so we've just got to get used to journeys taking longer and chill out.

Road rage can end in tragedy - here is a case that's in the news at the moment - Cyclist admits manslaughter of Hove grocer (From The Argus)
Car driver opened door causing a cyclist to swerve, argument followed, cyclist punched driver, driver fell backward and banged head, driver very sadly dies, cyclist has admitted manslaughter. There are of course, cases the other way around with the cyclist ending up injured or dead.

Unfortunately there are always t**ts out there, be they cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, car drivers etc. Just treat others with the respect that you would expect to receive yourself.

Thing is Jase, I don't mind the individual cyclist, I can pass one easily in the right car, though I would have to pick the right moment, if you can ride @20mph, to pass you safely! I've had problems with multiple cyclists riding side by side or practically one behind another, doubling their length in the process down a narrow road, which annoys the hell out of me! And yes, they come in to the number1 catagory of riding @10mph max getting from A to B.

Rider's like yourself are almost a godsend, as even stuck behind you, I'm at least making some sort of progress.

Cheers.

We've been here before on 'why don't cyclists use cycle paths'. To recap my previous argument, people on bikes generally fall into 2 camps:
1. The person using a bike to get from A to B, likely not to be riding that fast;
2. The person who is riding a bike for sport, who is likely to be riding fast.

I fall firmly into the latter category and I do not use cycle paths unless they mirror a very busy road or have been properly designed as in effect a completely separate lane. Most UK cycle paths are poorly designed and are simply there so the local authority can meet some sort of quota or qualify for extra cash.

Painting a white line on a footpath and calling it a cycle path is acceptable to those in group 1, but for those in group 2 they are dangerous. If I'm doing 20mph - I'd rather be in the road with the cars than on the footpath with dog walkers, pedestrians with ipods who have no idea of what is around them, people reversing out of their drives etc.

I appreciate that may cause some slight delay for others, but I keep to the left and wave people past. And yes, I do stop at red lights. And yes, I don't weave through traffic unless it is completely stationary - i've been knocked off too many times. And yes, if I see some other people on bikes behaving like prats I shout 'It's people like you who give cyclists a bad name.' I've even done that in France (although my spur of the moment attempt at translation had the rest of my mates creased up with laughter).

Ultimately our roads are bordering on the third world in terms of their surface quality, and are getting busier all the time. The utopia of empty roads is something we are never going to have again (unless fuel prices people off the road), so we've just got to get used to journeys taking longer and chill out.

Road rage can end in tragedy - here is a case that's in the news at the moment - Cyclist admits manslaughter of Hove grocer (From The Argus)
Car driver opened door causing a cyclist to swerve, argument followed, cyclist punched driver, driver fell backward and banged head, driver very sadly dies, cyclist has admitted manslaughter. There are of course, cases the other way around with the cyclist ending up injured or dead.

Unfortunately there are always t**ts out there, be they cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists, car drivers etc. Just treat others with the respect that you would expect to receive yourself.

99% of the cyclists on the road I mentioned are twats. They don't go fast, don't always go in a straight line, and always p*ss me off.

And as for "riding a bike for sport".... unless I'm misunderstanding what this means........ should that really be happening on the road???
Especially if it means that you're not going to use a cycle lane because of it.

Our roads are for getting from A to B, so cyclists who fall into the 1st camp are using roads as they should be, no??

The fact that cycle lanes become dangerous when bikers use it to cycle "for sport" says to me that it's those cyclist who are a problem.

Also, just to mention, I see cyclists not only ignoring cycle lanes painted on pavements, but ones painted at the side of the road too.

I honestly think that a lot of 'experienced' cyclists purposely avoid using cycle lanes to make a statement and they have an "I'll ride where I like" mentality.

But to be fair, it's london cyclists who I hate. When I've driven amongst cyclists elsewhere they don't really do anything to bother me.
Oh and I hate them not only when I'm in the car, but also when walking. And with the addition of the Boris bikes and the nuggets who ride them ..... jeeeezzzzuuussss! :faint:

It's cyclists on country roads and lanes that p*ss me off.
Only a week or two ago I was coming home at night down a 60 limit road lined with trees and there was a cyclist in dark clothing with no lights or anything on! He was ****** lucky there was nothing coming the other way and I had my full beams on or I wouldn't have even seen him.

Well it looks like none of our road tax goes towards repairing the roads so what does it matter if cyclists dont pay tax LOL.

I used to cycle a lot more when I was younger and the roads were a lot quieter but its a lot more dangerous nowadays, we all fly around roads in our cars with no chance of braking in our field of view. Cycling in London? No, I dont have a death wish..

99% of the cyclists on the road I mentioned are twats. They don't go fast, don't always go in a straight line, and always p*ss me off.

And as for "riding a bike for sport".... unless I'm misunderstanding what this means........ should that really be happening on the road???
Especially if it means that you're not going to use a cycle lane because of it.

Our roads are for getting from A to B, so cyclists who fall into the 1st camp are using roads as they should be, no??

The fact that cycle lanes become dangerous when bikers use it to cycle "for sport" says to me that it's those cyclist who are a problem.

Also, just to mention, I see cyclists not only ignoring cycle lanes painted on pavements, but ones painted at the side of the road too.

I honestly think that a lot of 'experienced' cyclists purposely avoid using cycle lanes to make a statement and they have an "I'll ride where I like" mentality.

But to be fair, it's london cyclists who I hate. When I've driven amongst cyclists elsewhere they don't really do anything to bother me.
Oh and I hate them not only when I'm in the car, but also when walking. And with the addition of the Boris bikes and the nuggets who ride them ..... jeeeezzzzuuussss! :faint:

I'm guessing we are never going to agree on this one!

As Joe says, a single cyclist vs. a group is far easier to overtake, and we all agree that simple courtesy should see a group string out single file to allow vehicles behind to pass. And London cyclists are a nightmare I agree.

I take your point about not using cyclepaths painted on the road - again, there are valid reasons for this. As I mentioned in my previous post, our third world quality roads often have the gutter full of loose tarmac, potholes, uneven drain covers etc. If there is a cycle path painted over the top I'm not going to ride through all that sh*t - I'll pull over and ride where the road surface is better. I'm sorry if that inconveniences anyone behind me, but I'll pull back into the gutter when it is safe for me to do so. As per the link from Cookstein - case law has shown that if a cycle path is provided a cyclist is not forced to use it.

I know there is a certain amount of bravado on forum posts, but seriously, blasting a loud horn whilst passing as close as you can to a cyclist? They jump, bike swerves, under the wheels/over the car the cyclist goes.

Do people seriously want that on their conscience?

I pay two lots of road tax (£430); pay duty and VAT on fuel for three cars; and insurance for three cars. Only one of them is ever driven at a time so I pay more than my share towards upkeep, but as Khufu says, barely a fraction of this is spent on maintenance as the Govnt need the dosh to prop up our bloated welfare state.

I'm also insured when I'm cycling and would happily have a cycling tax disc. Only problem is that it would be emission based so despite the occasional fart :fart: I think I'd still fall under the zero emissions category so it would be free anyway.

I'm also insured when I'm cycling and would happily have a cycling tax disc. Only problem is that it would be emission based so despite the occasional fart :fart: I think I'd still fall under the zero emissions category so it would be free anyway.

congestion charge?

what would worse would be a cyclist with a cloth cap and big ears (and not noddy either)

I drive to Shoreditch (London) everyday for work... and i tell you i almost kill one cyclist everyday! Some days i actually wish i did! the prats just weave in and out of traffic and out of nowhere just swerve into the road with no consideration that they can be made into mush with one wack. none of the prats wear helmets either! and then there is the point where you are stuck at a traffic light and they try to go around the car from one side to the other... i cringe when they try to go around me incase the barstewards scratch my car on the way past!

I agree with quattro1 though when seeing them in groups - it IS against teh like to cycle side by side - you have to be in single file. I passed some kids on bikes in a big group other day in a works car spread accross my side of the road so as soon as I went past them I dived in to distract there attention - bunch of clowns!

Don;t get me wrong I appreciate cyclists but if they aren't gonna follow the rules of the road and give the correct symbols then as a road user they will get abuse. All the information about cyclist is in the highway code.

It will p!ss you off even more to know that they are using the roads that motorists pay to maintain! lol :sadlike:

I cycle to work each day now but I drive rest of the time so effectively I'm using what i pay for both ways.

Near to where I live there is a two way road which is pretty narrow, so the council have painted the cycle lane on the pavement instead (which is pretty wide).
But do these cyclists use it??? Nope.
All of them ride in the road, totally ignoring the cycle lane.

Problem you get there is cyclist should use the road and not the pavement in normal circumstances (it's actually against teh law to cycle on the pavement unless teh availabilty is there and because they get so used to this they will continue to use the road.

I drive to Shoreditch (London) everyday for work... and i tell you i almost kill one cyclist everyday! Some days i actually wish i did! the prats just weave in and out of traffic and out of nowhere just swerve into the road with no consideration that they can be made into mush with one wack. none of the prats wear helmets either! and then there is the point where you are stuck at a traffic light and they try to go around the car from one side to the other... i cringe when they try to go around me incase the barstewards scratch my car on the way past!

Unfortuntalely the same rule applies for motorbikes in my opinion. As long as they give all the correct signals then I'm not bothered, I just take extra care when I see a cyclist. You have to remember bikes existed before cars and so did horses (hence why you slow to around 5-10mph when passing one).

I take your point about not using cyclepaths painted on the road - again, there are valid reasons for this. As I mentioned in my previous post, our third world quality roads often have the gutter full of loose tarmac, potholes, uneven drain covers etc. If there is a cycle path painted over the top I'm not going to ride through all that sh*t - I'll pull over and ride where the road surface is better. I'm sorry if that inconveniences anyone behind me, but I'll pull back into the gutter when it is safe for me to do so. As per the link from Cookstein - case law has shown that if a cycle path is provided a cyclist is not forced to use it.

100% with you there. A road bike (such as they use in the likes of Le Mans) are not designed to take punishment over pot holes and grids. I have to admit I'm partly glad I cycling a mountain based bike to work and back to tackle issues like this even if it does take more of an effort due to the weight of the bike.