EM TuningAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941

    Idiots on the motorway

    Why do people not know how to drive properly on the motorway?

    A number of things that piss me off on a daily basis, but the worst has to be people who just sit in the middle lane, when there's nothing in the left lane. WHY!?

    They sit there, doing barely 60mph, with people over and undertaking them, yet they still don't get the hint!? Are these people just brain-dead or what?

    Also, people who don't know how to use the accelerator properly, so feel the need to use the brakes every 3-4 seconds. If you're coming up to someone in front of you, let off the fecking gas pedal! It's not hard!!!

    Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    267
    lol

    Lane hoggers I find mainly consist of coffin dodgers who get on the motorway and into the middle lane but are too scared to actually change lane until they get to their exit. They simply speed up and slow down with the traffic in the middle lane. It cracks me up when a truck pulls out to overtake another truck and the lane hoggers just slow right down and wait for the truck to pull back in before overtaking it. They are too scared to actually pull out into lane three to overtake.

    Also, tailgaters - why do they sit 2 inches off my arse when even if they got past there is a line of cars in front of me anyway?!

    I remember once taking someone to Gatwick airport on boxing day at about 5 in the morning on the M25. Hadn't seen a single car for miles, then a single car in the middle lane! I moved from the inside lane to lane three and back to the inside lane in front of him to make my point and not break the law - but they still just sat there oblivious to it!

    Cretins!

  4. #3
    CHRIS555's Avatar
    DOPE with added OCD

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    1,941
    And people sat with there phone superglued to their ear, sitting in the middle lane!! I had one the other day and couldn't help myself, I pulled along side with my hooter hooting (a lot) and she didn't get the message that she "was a stupid mong" for using her phone on the motorway whilst sliming all over the middle lane.

    Hopefully the person on the other end of the phone heard how rubbish my hooter is!!

  5. #4
    Stratts's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upminster, Essex
    Posts
    61
    Couldn't agree more, unfortunately people just think you're just a typical Audi driver.

    I undertook some muppet this morning on the M25 and he decided to to chase me for the next 2 miles. At least he started changing lanes I suppose...
    On the driveway:
    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0TDi (140) Black Edition (Ibis White)
    Bluetooth/ Folding Mirrors / Storage Pack/ Rear Parking Sensors / Reversing Boot Mat / Deleted Engine Capacity / USB Connection

    Delivered on 5th November 2010

  6. #5
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratts View Post
    Couldn't agree more, unfortunately people just think you're just a typical Audi driver.

    I undertook some muppet this morning on the M25 and he decided to to chase me for the next 2 miles. At least he started changing lanes I suppose...
    i love it when people start chasing me, coz then i drive really fast and just slam my brakes on with them behind

    Also, people who can't keep a constant speed! OMFG!!!

    I use cruise control a lot on the motorway, so i'm usually doing the same speed. Yet some people feel the need to overtake me doing about 85+, then slow down to 70ish so i have to overtake them, and then they overtake me again

    What the actual fcuk!?
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  7. #6
    Alex C's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lizard, Cornwall
    Posts
    2,564
    i hate driving on A roads when a two lane section comes up so you can overtake, so you follow some guy overtaking and then he pulls in, so you think right he's going at reasonable speed, so you pull in behind him, then when the overtaking lane has finished he does the same bloody speed as the guys he's just bloody overtaken FFS!!
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

  8. #7
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,931
    The middle lane thing is lazyness imo. If you drive properly, and pull left as your supposed to, then you in effect have to put more effort in, as your constantly changing lanes, checking mirrors etc etc. A lot of these folk have no interest in driving whatsoever, they're just sitting in their box getting to where they're going, so if sitting in the middle lane means they have to think less and move less, then bonus.

    The accellerator/braking thing really pisses me off. From what i can tell theres two camps of people here. One isnt really paying enough attention to notice the traffic slowing up, they're staring at the car infront and nothing else, meaning that instead of noticing traffic up ahead slowing up and simply lifting off a bit, they're sat on the power until the car infront brakes (or they notice they're about to crash into the back of it because the other cars let off but not braked). The other group are mainly "comfort brakers", they're not braking because they have to, they're braking because thats what your "supposed to do" when you see brake lights (or a corner etc). Again, they're people who have no interest in driving, and get by with the absolute minimum of concentration or in the case of the second camp, some sort of rigid formula in their heads, rather than reading the road properly and responding to it.

    Its not soley limited to the motorway, you see them everywhere. The most annoying driver for me is Mr 40mph. You'll find him on any decent fast A road near you, and he drives at 40-45mph everywhere, and brakes for corners you can comfortably take at 75. Again, they fit into the "i dont care about driving" category. Probably say things like "we're doing plenty speed" and curse at you when you overtake them in a 60 limit, even if the overtake was completely safe. Oh and when you get into a village and drop down to 30mph, half the time you'll find Mr 40mph appear on your bootlid, because hes continued driving thru the village at 40mph.

    One real eye opener for me about peoples driving, was about 5 years ago, i drove a 70hp ford transit up the A82 to oban in the north of scotland. Being a transit, with no power whatsoever, you can imagine it doesnt accellerate, doesnt steer, doesnt stop. Infact it doesnt do anything particularly well. As a result overtaking all the **** drivers simply doesnt happen, however i quickly noticed that whenever the **** drivers infront turned off and got out the way, giving clear road infront of me, within a few minutes i'd completely left the other cars behind. This would be last for a bit, before some other idiot held me up. The fact that i was able to propel a **** van up a windy A road, and without even breaking the speed limit was able to pull out a decent lead ahead of the other motorists, highlights just how bad peoples driving really is. Not only that, but i wasnt even driving it hard, i'd never driven it before, so was wary of its appauling handling on its tall and narrow 185 commercial plastic tyres. I should have been holding EVERYONE up, but all i found was people holding me up.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Its not soley limited to the motorway, you see them everywhere. The most annoying driver for me is Mr 40mph. You'll find him on any decent fast A road near you, and he drives at 40-45mph everywhere, and brakes for corners you can comfortably take at 75. Again, they fit into the "i dont care about driving" category. Probably say things like "we're doing plenty speed" and curse at you when you overtake them in a 60 limit, even if the overtake was completely safe. Oh and when you get into a village and drop down to 30mph, half the time you'll find Mr 40mph appear on your bootlid, because hes continued driving thru the village at 40mph.
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about those morons. 40-50mph on a lovely open A road, you get to a 30mph zone and slow down to the limit and they carry on at the same speed completely oblivious to it all. Then you have to catch them up again when you get out of the village/town and get the look of death from them if you dare to overtake them. GET OFF THE ROAD !!!!!!!

  10. #9
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,722

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    i love it when people start chasing me, coz then i drive really fast and just slam my brakes on with them behind
    Nice. Adding weight to the 'typical Audi driver' argument mentioned earlier.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  11. #10
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,881
    You don't have to goto a motorway to see retards driving, my 5 mile trip to work through is full of them! I mean since when was signalling left to go into an empty gap against the law? I got a whole load of road rage from the driver behind as if I cut her up! Despite indicating, and getting into the space with room to spare!!

    Driving standards are quite poor these days, the amount of time in the last few weeks I had to make a manouver just to avoid an accident is a joke. I'm grateful my car has decent brakes!


    99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!



  12. #11
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    totally agree with the lane hogger comments, the only exception i would pose would be those roads where the slow lane has nasty grooves in the road caused by HGV's, nothing worse than trying to keep the car straight in them!!

    other than that i tend to undertake and clearly pull across the front of lane hoggers

    what gets me is when you have a dual carriageway with a single line of traffic moving very slowly and the odd idiot who drives up the spare lane - do they think we are sat there for our health? sure it may be safer to do that if the traffic is spilling onto another road...i personally go through phases where i will pull into the fast lane and go with the flow of the traffic causing the ignorant idiots passing everyone to queue behind me, sometimes they get irrate but F*** em is what i say and follow with the odd hand gesture
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  13. #12
    Crazyfool's Avatar
    Lead boot

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratts View Post
    I undertook some muppet this morning on the M25 and he decided to to chase me for the next 2 miles. At least he started changing lanes I suppose...
    I had a similar thing yesterday on the M4 near London, although I overtook the 1.4 Polo 'Sport'. But the driver didn't seem happy about it and started to overtake me, after I had pulled in front of them maintianing my speed! So I left the car in 6th an pulled away before I got caught behind the car in front of me that we were approaching. The driver eventually caught up and started tailgating me, so once the road was clear I dropped the car into 4th, waved and showed them why it has two exhausts hanging off the back. Needless to say, I didn't see it again as I turned off the motorway.

    It just drives me nuts, because you know they will eventually slow down further along the motorway and you will have to overtake them again.
    (59) 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) Lava Grey
    (N) 2.6 V6 Audi Convertible Europa Blue
    Gone: (02) 1.8T A4 sport saloon (B6) Denim Blue

  14. #13
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    And people who "forget" that their indicator is on....what world are these people in that they can't see a bright green flashing light on their dashboard?!!!

    Worst experience i ever had was a guy on his phone, at 2am in the outside line of a motorway with nothing else on the road

    To try and get him to move over as he should, i braked so that he overtook me, pulled into the fast lane behind him and sat with my full beams on. For 11miles he stayed in the outside lane.....11miles!!!! He FINALLY moved over 1 lane (on a 4 lane motorway) so i started moving closer and closer to his car just to try and force him over

    Lets say he wasnt happy, and pulled onto the hard shoulder and stopped, thinking that i would stop as well i suppose?

    Needless to say i just carried on my way, with a smug look on my face
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  15. #14
    gavin89's Avatar
    Wana go Low gotta go Slow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bournemouth/Manchester
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    Lets say he wasnt happy, and pulled onto the hard shoulder and stopped, thinking that i would stop as well i suppose?
    He obviously thought you were undercover police lol

  16. #15
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin89 View Post
    He obviously thought you were undercover police lol
    After 11 miles?
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  17. #16
    gavin89's Avatar
    Wana go Low gotta go Slow

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bournemouth/Manchester
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    After 11 miles?
    Well thats a even stronger case for the "Driving without due care and attention" charge then

  18. #17
    scott b's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warrington, Warrington, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post

    what gets me is when you have a dual carriageway with a single line of traffic moving very slowly and the odd idiot who drives up the spare lane - do they think we are sat there for our health? sure it may be safer to do that if the traffic is spilling onto another road...i personally go through phases where i will pull into the fast lane and go with the flow of the traffic causing the ignorant idiots passing everyone to queue behind me, sometimes they get irrate but F*** em is what i say and follow with the odd hand gesture
    its ppl like that, that piss me off, what are you achieving, your holding ppl up that have got places to go, the amount of times ive pushed my way past by mounting the kerbs etc just to get past, yes i am a white van driver. what your doing could be seen as illegal as clearly its an over taking lane.

    Quote Originally Posted by smudge_don View Post
    And people who "forget" that their indicator is on....what world are these people in that they can't see a bright green flashing light on their dashboard?!!!

    try a vauxhall combo van 55 plate when the sun is shining on to the display, you cant see it and the ticking noise you cant hear once he radio is on, even took my old combo back to vauxhall and complained that you cant hear it, they said its normal


    but as someone who does around 50,000 miles a year driving, most of which are motorway the worst things that piss me off are

    lane hoggers, if someone is up your arse it means you aint going fast enough
    ppl who drive at night on the motorway with full beam on
    and the worst one, when trucks over take trucks, when im towing a trailer, as by law when towing a trailer you cant go in the 3rd lane (on a 3 lane motorway)

  19. #18
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    To be fair Scott i'm teaching people like you how to respect others, in an unideal world there would be no respect and both lanes would be used.....as it happens the vast majority wait their turn only held up by the occasional tail who jumps the queue...you wouldnt do it in a post office queue, so dont do it on the road, overtaking lane or not........ if its clearly going to filter into one lane and everyone is waiting then i dont think a bit of respect is out of order, places to go or not....for ref i hit this on my way home when everyone is trying to get back, just goes to show

    oh and the last that tried passing me ended up head on in the other lane having to tuck back in........ their call not mine

    i do not apologise at all....learn some respect
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  20. #19
    scott b's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warrington, Warrington, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,254
    its a filter lane so let them past and filter in, by blocking the lane of you could be coursing danger to ppl that are in the outside lane further back

    theres a motorway junction near me, use it once or twice a week, M6 to M62 east, the slip road starts of 1 lane, then just befor the chevrons it goes into 2 lanes so hence ill take the 2nd lane, but 300 yards further down it goes into 1 lane, then you get some bright spark who thinks itll be a good idea to sit in the second lane 250 yards from where it starts to go back into 1 lane, thus meaning cars/vans in the second lane end up blocking/sitting on lane 1 of the M6.

  21. #20
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,148
    I'm with Scott on this one. There are two lanes, one is chocablock and the other is free? I'm using the free one. It's there to be used isn't it? Just because others have chosen not to use it doesn't mean we all have to do the same.
    And sitting in the lane just to block those trying to use it LEGALLY is pretty silly IMO, and might get you into a bit of trouble down here in London.
    Also, if people were to use both AVAILABLE lanes (that are there to be used!) then the queuing traffic would be half as long and have less chance of building up so much that it overspills onto junctions etc that are further back.

  22. #21
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    I'm with Scott on this one. There are two lanes, one is chocablock and the other is free? I'm using the free one. It's there to be used isn't it? Just because others have chosen not to use it doesn't mean we all have to do the same.
    And sitting in the lane just to block those trying to use it LEGALLY is pretty silly IMO, and might get you into a bit of trouble down here in London.
    Also, if people were to use both AVAILABLE lanes (that are there to be used!) then the queuing traffic would be half as long and have less chance of building up so much that it overspills onto junctions etc that are further back.
    + 1

    If one lane is queing, and the other isn't, then i'm gonna use the non-queing lane! It's public road that is there to be used, so i'm gonna use it
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  23. #22
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,639
    +2
    This really annoys me as the British way seems to think someone using the empty lane is queue jumping wtf ?
    I have seen peeps block others when they are filtering in...eejits

  24. #23
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,931
    Theres quite a few junctions round this way where its a single lane road, which comes up to a set of lights and opens out into two lanes. Then shortly afterwards switches back down into one again.

    Its excellent for overtaking Mr 40mph when you end up stuck behind him, although from time to time you'll get some complete mongo who will pull into the second lane, and instead of getting the toe down off the lights and pulling out a gap to merge in comfortably, they'll drive off down the road at exactly the same speed as the guy in lane one. Then at the very last minute when the lanes merge they'll squirt the throttle enough to squeeze infront, invariably leaving you sat next to a big queue of cars that have all bunched up to stop "that evil queue jumping person" getting back in again. At which point you have to simply ram yourself back into the line of cars before your driving up the chevrons.

    scott: you turned the indicator on by a concious action, so surely you're going to check to ensure that its cancelled.... Its no different to leaving a fog light on. You've noticed its foggy and engaged the light, when you notice its not foggy any more, you turn it off again. If you dont notice its not foggy any more, you shouldnt be driving.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  25. #24
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    ok ok i think the definition here needs rethinking..... i do use these filters as an overtake, its when its a particular type of filter, ie clearly not being used with a decent line of traffic - why should you overtake everyone that is queuing out of respect for each other?

    discuss
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  26. #25
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,931
    tbh, i think it ties into the original bit near the top about people being lazy and not actually paying attention or putting proper effort into driving. Everyones sat on the inside lane because thats what everyone in front did, and its easier, as you dont have to think, or indicate, or use mirrors, just pull up behind everyone else, and then pull away when they go.

    If theres a huge line i'll use the outside, because it often means the lights are about to change, which means i dont have to stop, and can sail past everyone and reach the lights just as they go green :P

    The purpose of using the road is to make progress, and for the most part every other driver simply impedes it. So if i find an opportunity to pass 20 cars at a set of lights by "jumping the queue" then i will. Its not really any different to finding a clear stretch of road, giving it full bore and overtaking 20 cars is it? Often places where you find junctions like that arent conducive to overtaking even one car "normally" so i'd rather smoke them at the lights than "respect" them and follow along behind like a sheep doing 40 in a 60 limit.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  27. #26
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,909
    To be honest I am a bit shocked and annoyed at some of the replys on here, no wonder the roads are so dangerous with people slamming the brakes on and overtaking on filter lanes etc.

    Take a step back and think how others view your driving. This thread should be re titled. "Idiots on the motorways, and how I joined in and showed how bad my driving could be".

    As was said earlier, no wonder Audi drivers get a reputation.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  28. #27
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,931
    I never mentioned overtaking on filter lanes. The junctions i refer to have two lanes going streight ahead, and one can only imagine the only reason they've put two lanes on the run up to and just after the lights is to enable overtaking, otherwise they'd have just made it one lane.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  29. #28
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,148
    Slamming on brakes because someone is tailgating is a bit stupid, I agree. But driving down the free lane of two lanes leading up to a filter... I just can't see how this is wrong/selfish/queue jumping/etc etc etc etc.

    There are two lanes for a reason, and the filter is at the end of them for a reason. If we weren't supposed to use both lanes and filter earlier then surely they would've stuck the filter less far down the road.
    And if anybody is in the wrong it's the bunch of sheep all sitting in one lane because the car in front has.

    @ Animal - so it's only rude and queue jumping if it's a "particular type of filter"??
    I'm surprised you don't accidentally end up swerving on to the hard shoulder after the 'type of filter' evaluation you must carry out everytime you are faced with one.

  30. #29
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,639
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    Slamming on brakes because someone is tailgating is a bit stupid, I agree. But driving down the free lane of two lanes leading up to a filter... I just can't see how this is wrong/selfish/queue jumping/etc etc etc etc.
    Spot on

  31. #30
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    Slamming on brakes because someone is tailgating is a bit stupid, I agree. But driving down the free lane of two lanes leading up to a filter... I just can't see how this is wrong/selfish/queue jumping/etc etc etc etc.

    There are two lanes for a reason, and the filter is at the end of them for a reason. If we weren't supposed to use both lanes and filter earlier then surely they would've stuck the filter less far down the road.
    And if anybody is in the wrong it's the bunch of sheep all sitting in one lane because the car in front has.

    @ Animal - so it's only rude and queue jumping if it's a "particular type of filter"??
    I'm surprised you don't accidentally end up swerving on to the hard shoulder after the 'type of filter' evaluation you must carry out everytime you are faced with one.
    you see this is where we differ, responding from the comments above and admitting that in a lot of circumstances i agree with you all...... i do overtake and see the need for filter lanes. I make reference to a particular stretch of bypass on my way home which goes from 2 lanes to a single carriageway, something you wont really understand until your there, essentially its clear that people are queing out of respect (if its moving i go for the overtake everytime), not because they cant be bothered but because overtaking a full line of 30-40 cars when the outside lane is totally clear is wrong IMO. Yes the filter is there for a reason, in this instance it is clear that the tailback is not causing any other problems...and so one or two cars disappear up the line and push in causing me to have to wait that millisecond longer (yes its a big deal)

    Theres two mentalities at work here, and neither mesh.....'rules is rules' but 'rules' very often don't feature where manners/respect are concerned - mainly because consideration is something you either have or don't, every interpretation of this will be different which is why we wont agree

    simples
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  32. #31
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,148
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    you see this is where we differ, responding from the comments above and admitting that in a lot of circumstances i agree with you all...... i do overtake and see the need for filter lanes. I make reference to a particular stretch of bypass on my way home which goes from 2 lanes to a single carriageway, something you wont really understand until your there, essentially its clear that people are queing out of respect (if its moving i go for the overtake everytime), not because they cant be bothered but because overtaking a full line of 30-40 cars when the outside lane is totally clear is wrong IMO. Yes the filter is there for a reason, in this instance it is clear that the tailback is not causing any other problems...and so one or two cars disappear up the line and push in causing me to have to wait that millisecond longer (yes its a big deal)

    Theres two mentalities at work here, and neither mesh.....'rules is rules' but 'rules' very often don't feature where manners/respect are concerned - mainly because consideration is something you either have or don't, every interpretation of this will be different which is why we wont agree

    simples
    And what about the drivers who are not familiar with the road (or its etiquette) that you are talking about??
    All they know is that they are driving down a nice clear lane only to be met by some geezer who is sitting in it blocking everyone trying to use it.

    In fact this highlights something that irritates me more than most other things on the road; drivers who think they have the right to force on to other road users what THEY believe is correct.

    As proven here, it's a matter of opinion whether or not something like using a free lane is acceptable or not, but yet you still force your opinion on those who don't agree with your view by stopping them from getting on with their journey in the safe manner that they have chosen.

    I'd be more inclined to agree with you if it was a blatant queue jump i.e. driving down a 'right turn only' lane and trying to jump across into the straight ahead lane at the last minute.
    But for the one you mention, and in my opinion, by plonking your car in a free lane and blocking everyone trying to use it you are being FAR more irritating than the people driving along it and using it correctly well within the laws of the road.


  33. #32
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,931
    Works both ways though. If someones driving along at 45 in a 60, then they're forcing their opinion upon me about which speed i can drive at, so surely i should be able to return the favour and ask them to get the f**k out of the way.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  34. #33
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Works both ways though. If someones driving along at 45 in a 60, then they're forcing their opinion upon me about which speed i can drive at, so surely i should be able to return the favour and ask them to get the f**k out of the way.
    +1

  35. #34
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,985
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    And what about the drivers who are not familiar with the road (or its etiquette) that you are talking about??
    All they know is that they are driving down a nice clear lane only to be met by some geezer who is sitting in it blocking everyone trying to use it.

    In fact this highlights something that irritates me more than most other things on the road; drivers who think they have the right to force on to other road users what THEY believe is correct.

    As proven here, it's a matter of opinion whether or not something like using a free lane is acceptable or not, but yet you still force your opinion on those who don't agree with your view by stopping them from getting on with their journey in the safe manner that they have chosen.

    I'd be more inclined to agree with you if it was a blatant queue jump i.e. driving down a 'right turn only' lane and trying to jump across into the straight ahead lane at the last minute.
    But for the one you mention, and in my opinion, by plonking your car in a free lane and blocking everyone trying to use it you are being FAR more irritating than the people driving along it and using it correctly well within the laws of the road.

    I see your point and agree to an extent...... but will keep my views on what i have described in this case

    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Works both ways though. If someones driving along at 45 in a 60, then they're forcing their opinion upon me about which speed i can drive at, so surely i should be able to return the favour and ask them to get the f**k out of the way.
    and i agree with this..... we have a single carriageway which has a ntional speed limit sign yet everyone insists on doing the 50mph limit of the previous stretch either because they dont know the national limit on a single carriageway or because they dont read the road....

    whilst on rants, what of the people who have to bend their neck to see through the rear view mirror......you can tell they never use the damned things and are likely to be rear ended at some point due to their inability to gauge their road positioning in respect to those behind
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  36. #35
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,931
    I think its more than that they just dont notice, although sure thats partly to blame.

    Across the country roads are being changed from 60's to 50's, and the general driving population is having "speed kills" drummed into their head, to such an extent that i suspect people are driving at 50 not because they havent noticed its a 60 limit, but because they think 50 is an appropriate and "fast" speed to be driving at.

    Another (somewhat rambling) insight into the "normal" motorist:
    A few years back the missus and i went up to visit her mum in dundee, then along with her mum and sister we drove up to inverness to visit other relatives. The A9 is your usual 60 limit trunk road, however its the only major route north, so as you can imagine is littered with lorries, caravans etc etc. On the way back, dawn overtook a truck on a chevroned section of road (was a filter lane or something, but the road was hugely wide and was miles of visibility and no traffic coming the other way, perfectly safe manoever), and her mum decided to have a moan about how dawn was driving the car and not me (i'd indicated to dawn that there was plenty of room to pass the truck, as shes not that great at judging) and that she shouldnt be doing "dangerous" overtakes.
    So a bit further down the road, we come up behind a 7.5t rigid doing 45-50ish, and as any decent driver does, dawn starts to look for passing opportunities. Road was quite busy and quite a few minutes had passed with no safe spaces having appeared, at which point her mum (who was in the back) presumably noticed that she was actively looking to overtake, and made a comment something along the lines of "dawn, you dont need to overtake the truck, we're doing plenty speed" at which point i glance at the speedo indicating 46mph, and the rear view mirror showing the growing queue behind us.
    Quite a while later, after various cars had overtaken us, and the truck, dawn finally got fed up trying to appease her mum and passed it.

    I realise its just one person, but given the way i see people driving, i think that most of them seem to think the same way. Overtakings almost seen as an antisocial act nowadays.

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  37. #36
    NICK-C's Avatar
    Nick

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    437
    The things that piss me off the most are the lane hogging, on the phone, fog lights and wrong lanes at a roundabout. So not many!
    There are quite a few roundabouts on my way to and from work and I can guarantee I see a least one tw*t everyday that decides they want to go in the right lane to go straight on when the lanes are clearly marked right lane for right only. Some dick tried it on me this morning but he wasn't quick enough!
    This time of year is the worst for fog light tho. Luckily with the BE when ppl have the front fogs on and come up behind me they aren't too bad as the dark window helps. However, if I get behind someone and they have the rear fogs on it is a different matter.
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

  38. #37
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    perth
    Posts
    380
    I get really pissed of with drivers that think it is safe to merge of a slip road into fast moving traffic at 30mph. Every day I have to use the same slip road and 9 out of 10 times I want to be doing at least 60 and some coffin dodger is breaking before joining. The visibility while on the slip road is excellent but no the very nearly stop , now in the habit of crossing the solid white lines early moving into the outside lane and passing them before they have even come off the slip road!

    Aragon this is on the a9 (I live just off it) I understand your pain about the a9 having the torque of the 170 tdi makes overtaking much quicker and safer

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO