EM TuningChris Nott
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 81 to 110 of 110

Thread: R8 diesel

  1. #81
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty

    Maybe it is your grammar I am not picking up on. Just in case and just for you, my A3 is a super car but it is not a supercar. There, I hope that helps you.
    Lol, you know you've lost an argument when you start picking problems with someone's typos.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #82
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    Lol, you know you've lost an argument when you start picking problems with someone's typos.

    An argument? Sorry I didn't realise. Indeed I lost the argument long ago mainly because I was not having one.

    I seem to have you very confused now and I will cease this particular discussion with you to try to ease that confusion for you.

    Very well done for winning the argument though.


    M
    Last edited by Moisty; 21st January 2008 at 13:22.

  4. #83
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,641
    Why thank you..... shame, is rather difficult to convey sarcasm in a forum entry.

  5. #84
    An update on the R8 Diesel..... from the AutoBlog website:

    When we heard that there was a 50/50 chance Audi would be offering a production version of its R8 V12 TDI LeMans concept, our interest was piqued. The thought of 737 pound-feet of torque rippling the pavement behind the mid-engined R8 supercar will, unfortunately, remain but a fleeting fantasy in our power-hungry dreams. According to Michael Dick, Audi's head of production, the V12 TDI is not slated for production. That's the bad news... the good news, though, is that there is a coming diesel engine option in the form of Audi's 90 degree 4.2-liter TDI V8. In the Q7 SUV, that engine produces 326 horsepower with torque registering in at 550 pound-feet.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  6. #85
    jonnyc's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    846
    Out of all the people commenting that this car is going to sound like a Tractor/taxi who has actually heard a v12 diesel?

    With 500bhp and over 700ft/lbs of torque its going to be a huge amount quicker than the v8 or even v10 version of the r8..

    I saw the car in the flesh last week and its beautiful!

    Jonny
    MK5 ED30.. Fastest MK5 / 2.0T FSI in the UK - Fastest DSG MK5 in the world!

    12.601 @ 115.85 MPH

  7. #86
    Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    357
    I think that there is still too much snobbery about diesel cars in the UK.

    I would have thought that the actual sales figures for everyday diesel cars speak for themselves over the last 2, 3, 4 years in the UK. Diesel powered "supercars", sportscars, etc are surely simply a logical evolutionary step, specially given the whole environmental, CO2, emissions issue too. And with the tremendous advances in diesel technology (twin turbos, common rail, piezo injection, PDI, etc) it will no doubt continue.

    I do remember BMW once saying that their coupes would only ever be petrol powered; a diesel coupe was considered heresy! Take a look at their product lineup now. You even have diesels outperfoming their petrol equivalent - again heresy a few years ago. If you were asked what do think about a diesel convertible 5 years ago, I'm sure the doubting Thomas's would have laughed and all cried they would never sell. It's simply a sign of the times.

    Who knows, diesel powered S, RS and M cars could be a reality one day?

    Get with the plan people! Change, progress, a different way of thinking is inevitable...
    Last edited by a3norwich; 20th March 2008 at 17:51.

  8. #87
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    There is talk of a Diesel RS4 too in the future. I for one would be interested, can someone tell me where the downside is with a car with more/same power as a petrol, more miles out of a tank, and the same styling as a petrol version?

  9. #88
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nr Portsmouth
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    There is talk of a Diesel RS4 too in the future. I for one would be interested, can someone tell me where the downside is with a car with more/same power as a petrol, more miles out of a tank, and the same styling as a petrol version?
    NOISE
    EXHAUST NOTE
    SMELL
    LACK OF NUMBERS ON REV COUNTER
    COST OF DISEASEL

    But very tempted

  10. #89
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    There is talk of a Diesel RS4 too in the future. I for one would be interested, can someone tell me where the downside is with a car with more/same power as a petrol, more miles out of a tank, and the same styling as a petrol version?
    'Purists' will argue a petrol's always 'better', but I don't swallow that.
    As you say, if it has the same power, probably more torque, and offers something like double the tank range, any daft mutterings about noise/revs/smell just go out of the window.
    The smell thing is daft anyway.
    I certainly don't smell of diesel.
    What kind of twit is incapable of filling up without covering themselves in it?
    Purists, quite often, just can't handle sensible change.
    There are some who argue vinyl is better than digital, but the hell with going back to that.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st March 2008 at 14:03.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  11. #90
    motorbikez's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    There is talk of a Diesel RS4 too in the future. I for one would be interested, can someone tell me where the downside is with a car with more/same power as a petrol, more miles out of a tank, and the same styling as a petrol version?
    There is no downside.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

    2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

  12. #91
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nr Portsmouth
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    'Purists' will argue a petrol's always 'better', but I don't swallow that.
    As you say, if it has the same power, probabky more torque, and offers something like double the tank range, any daft mutterings about noise/revs/smell just go out of the window.
    The smell thing is daft anyway.
    I certainly don't smell of diesel.
    What kind of twit is incapable of filling up without covering themselves in it?
    Purists, quite often, just can't handle sensible change.
    There are some who nargue vinyl is better than digital, but the hell with going back to that.

    They are not 'daft mutterings' but fact!

    You don't have to cover yourself in diseasel. Just smell the exhausts of many cars without DPF's !!

    Cheers

  13. #92
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Lad View Post
    They are not 'daft mutterings' but fact!

    You don't have to cover yourself in diseasel. Just smell the exhausts of many cars without DPF's !!

    Cheers
    But a diesel RS4 would be fitted with a DPF, for sure.
    So that's an irrelevant argument, in this case.
    I'd also lay wager it wouldn't make a 'taxi / tractor' noise.
    OK, it might not make the godawful (IMO) noise the current RS4 makes from the exhaust (There is one ion my street, sounds like an ME109 in a dive), but some might think that's a good thing.
    If childish (IMO) exhaust noise is any valid reason to buy a car, then we're on completely different wavelengths.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st March 2008 at 14:10.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  14. #93
    motorbikez's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    2,033
    [quote=Sussex Lad;510556]NOISE- Trivial
    EXHAUST NOTE - Trivial
    SMELL -What smell do you put your nose in the tank
    LACK OF NUMBERS ON REV COUNTER - Trivial saves reving the ******** out of engine.
    COST OF DISEASEL- pound for pound spent you can travel 25% further
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

    2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

  15. #94
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    [quote=motorbikez;510585]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Lad View Post
    NOISE- Trivial
    EXHAUST NOTE - Trivial
    SMELL -What smell do you put your nose in the tank
    LACK OF NUMBERS ON REV COUNTER - Trivial saves reving the ******** out of engine.
    COST OF DISEASEL- pound for pound spent you can travel 25% further
    Hear hear.
    I bet 25% more is quite a low guess too.
    It's feasible 50% more, or greater.
    I've had petrol and diesel cars of the same capacity and tank size.
    I can get double the tank range in a diesel, for the same type of driving.
    (That's based on a 2.0tdi A3 doing 500 miles to a tank, compared with a 1.8T golf Gti that barely did 250 miles to a tank).
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st March 2008 at 14:15.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  16. #95
    motorbikez's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    2,033
    I think we're flogging a dead horse here bowfer Sussex Lad is probably related to jeremy clarkson.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

    2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

  17. #96
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I can see why fans of performance cars scoff at fuel economy as any reason to buy a car, but if the rest of the package is just as good with the added bonus of better fuel economy, then surely that's an unarguable benefit?
    I wouldn't have thought anyone enjoys throwing money away on 'principals'.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  18. #97
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nr Portsmouth
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbikez View Post
    I think we're flogging a dead horse here bowfer Sussex Lad is probably related to jeremy clarkson.
    Not related to Clarkson fortunately. I dislike his Tory attitudes!

  19. #98
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nr Portsmouth
    Posts
    59
    [quote=bowfer;510589]
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbikez View Post

    Hear hear.
    I bet 25% more is quite a low guess too.
    It's feasible 50% more, or greater.
    I've had petrol and diesel cars of the same capacity and tank size.
    I can get double the tank range in a diesel, for the same type of driving.
    (That's based on a 2.0tdi A3 doing 500 miles to a tank, compared with a 1.8T golf Gti that barely did 250 miles to a tank).
    Get your facts right please! Accept diseasel is more economical than petrol, we have both in our family fleet. Your Golf vs A3 going twice as far on a tankfull is bull***t. The Golf has a way smaller fuel tank..
    Last edited by Sussex Lad; 21st March 2008 at 15:14. Reason: .

  20. #99
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    [quote=Sussex Lad;510621]
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post

    Get your facts right please! Accept diseasel is more economical than petrol, we have both in our family fleet. Your Golf vs A3 going twice as far on a tankfull is bull***t. The Golf has a way smaller fuel tank..
    You think?
    According to the stats I can find online, the 1.8T Golf Gti I owned had a 55 litre fuel tank.
    Same as the A3 2.0Tdi.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  21. #100
    AudiLad's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    145
    some very narrow minded people on here,IMO i would say the diesel engine is the far more advanced engine,petrol engines really havent changed much over the years,anyone who sais they wouldnt have the diesel R8 is stupid
    Lava grey pearl (A3 2.0 TDI sport 140) 2004


  22. #101
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nr Portsmouth
    Posts
    59
    [quote=bowfer;510631]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Lad View Post

    You think?
    According to the stats I can find online, the 1.8T Golf Gti I owned had a 55 litre fuel tank.
    Same as the A3 2.0Tdi.
    Well well our A3 Diseasel 170 has a 60 litre tank! THat's not t really an issue though cos of course diesel is more economical, just not as much fun IMHO. We had a 1.8T 150 bhp in 2000/1 and got 33mpg or so. Diseasel 170Q does about 38. Fuel costs 25p a gallon more around here. Diseasel batter on long runs petrol more fun to 'drive' IMHO

  23. #102
    Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    357
    More for those doubting Thomas's hiding their heads in the sand: anyone seen the latest AutoCar? A diesel Scooby WRX is on the way. OMG where will it all end!?!?!?
    Last edited by a3norwich; 22nd March 2008 at 00:56.

  24. #103
    klauster's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,121
    As someone who actually has an RS4, I can tell you IMO the ONLY downside to the car is the fact you need to fill it up more than a NORMAL car.

    People buy performance cars for lots of reasons but I dont think im alone with the reasons I buy my cars, infact Id say lots of people buy cars with the same rational...

    I wanted 1 car that was: FAST, FUN, LOOKS GOOD but also something PRACTICAL! If a diesel version RS4 is as quick/quicker and costs less to run/needs less fuel, surely people would consider it! Well I would!

  25. #104
    Well well our A3 Diseasel 170 has a 60 litre tank!
    SussexLad - is your A3-170 a quattro?
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  26. #105
    R8GGA

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulham
    Posts
    451
    Why the hell is this thread in the A3 8P Section? There is an R8 section you know...
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

  27. #106
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nr Portsmouth
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    SussexLad - is your A3-170 a quattro?

    It is a Q as per my original post. Cheers

  28. #107
    Why the hell is this thread in the A3 8P Section? There is an R8 section you know...
    Because I think when this thread was started there was not an R8 section.

    Anyway this particular A3 8P sections seems to have become a 'General Car discussion' section with all sorts of cars discussed. BMWs, RS4s etc.

    Not sure if that's a good idea or not. It does seem to get looked at a lot more than most other sections on ASN
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  29. #108
    R8GGA

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fulham
    Posts
    451
    My point is that this section is meant for A3 8P drivers, and there are a lot of us. That means more people come to this section than go to the R8 section, because there aren't many R8 drivers out there, and most of them are footballers or business men who aren't interested in retro-fitting cruise control or where to plug in their Ross-Tech cable....

    So, is it cool for people to be taking advantage of this section's popularity to start threads which are totally off-topic?

    I don't think it is.
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

  30. #109
    So, is it cool for people to be taking advantage of this section's popularity to start threads which are totally off-topic?
    I do tend to agree with you. Personally I would prefer it if this section was for posts about the A3 8P only and everything else was posted in the other sections of ASN. Perhaps that would make some of them a little more active. Perhaps the mods should start moving some posts to other sections.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  31. #110
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Some threads get moved to the general discussion forum, if an 8P member is asking about a specific model as a replacement for his current car then I think this is the relevant section.

    Fair enough a diesel R8 shouldn't really be in here... MOVED.

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO