EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 110

Thread: R8 diesel

  1. #41
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    My own definition of 'supercar' isn't the likes of an R8,911 etc.
    They're too affordable (relatively..) and common.
    So 'supercar', to me, means some multi-hundred thousand pound piece of exotica I'm only likely to see on the telly, or at a show.
    911's are pretty common up here, as are R8's (the local dealer has, allegedly, sold the most R8's in the country, something like 32).
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    Eeek, bowfer we agree.

  4. #43
    motorbikez's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    Well on that note, I think a mini is a super car then.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

    2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

  5. #44
    mikep's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wetheringsett, Suffolk
    Posts
    591
    I'd have one, and put a 'Tractor Power' logo on the back....

    1000Nm of torque will give a serious shove in the back at 70, 80, 90 etc etc and 25mpg? Pass the cake.

    In 10 years time there'll be electric/hydogen powered supercars, so what the hell has the fuel got to do with it? Acceleration is where it's at.
    Pragmatik ICT
    Revo (VAG & Porsche) & Steinbauer Dealer for Suffolk & N.Essex
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport DSG Revo Stage 1 & 2
    Porsche Boxster S Revo Stage 1

  6. #45
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Would you like a spoonful of sugar with your own medicine?
    WTF?



  7. #46
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Yep fair point but in this case I suspect the diesel is going to be the one with the superior performance over the petrol R8
    I do not disagree with that (mainly because I don't know).
    I suppose my original question is taken in the context that there is already a petrol version.

    But what if my point was that these two variants were being built from scratch today and we were comparing apples with apples, the petrol variant would be more powerful, so why would you go for the diesel?


    I do understand why people go for a diesel when you are spending 20k. But what if you are spending over 100k, what attraction does diesel hold?


  8. #47
    Moisty
    Guest
    Just nicked this from Pistonheads....


    "You see a beautiful sports car in the hotel entrance. The well groomed owner slides into the firm, leather covered sports seats. Places the key into the light ignition barrel, reaches for the stunningly crafted alloy starter button and as the engine roars into life... GRAAANK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK"

    F***in DERVS !!


    Not saying it is my view, just that it amused me!


  9. #48
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    Well the person who commented on pistonheads obviously hasn't heard the V12 TDI running then.

    And I can say from experience, standing next to a new M5 doesn't inspire confidence when you start it. If anything the V10 petrol engine sound like a bag of spanners on a fast spin..... very much like pre 2007 diesels.

  10. #49
    Moisty
    Guest
    I don't think it was meant to be taken literally!

    M

  11. #50
    DaveS3Turbo's Avatar
    Sepang Blue S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,062
    This is a deinate production car. Has been confirmed by audi.

    Whoever wouldn't have one of these is crazy I think.
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

    2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

  12. #51
    Audi_nut's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    so why would you go for the diesel?
    Torque
    Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. Steve McQueen

  13. #52
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    Torque levels approaching 1000Nm? Ill take the diesel over the petrol any day
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  14. #53
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    Who on earth is the customer?

    What type of person would buy a supercar with a diesel engine and what could their reasons be?

    I am not having a go at a diesel car, I genuinely cannot fathom out who would purchase such a vehicle!
    My brother-in-law has already ordered one.
    A3 Sportback TDI 170 Quattro, heated leather, RNS-E, GSM prep, BOSE, Open-Sky, etc.

  15. #54
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
    Ill take the diesel over the petrol any day

    Mmm, diesel over petrol.



    Last edited by Moisty; 20th January 2008 at 20:39.

  16. #55
    motorbikez's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
    Torque levels approaching 1000Nm? Ill take the diesel over the petrol any day

    So would I.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

    2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

  17. #56
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbikez
    So would I.
    So if you have 2 supercars, 1 is powered by diesel, the higher performing one is obviously powered by petrol. For what reason would the diesel be the choice?

    The exhaust note? Unlikely

    The flexibility of the engine? LOL

    The sound of the engine? Ha Ha

    The mpg? Oh yes, that'll be it!



    M


  18. #57
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    So if you have 2 supercars, 1 is powered by diesel, the higher performing one is obviously powered by petrol. For what reason would the diesel be the choice?
    In the case we are talking about here, The R8, The diesel version is faster. This would be why I would choose the diesel.

    If another petrol R8 were to be launched that was quicker than the V12 diesel then I'd choose that. But in this case I'd go diesel as the V12 diesel will be faster than the 4.2 V8 petrol.

    All this 'petrol is best' talk is ******** in this case IMO.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

  19. #58
    yak
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt
    Torque levels approaching 1000Nm? Ill take the diesel over the petrol any day
    Well, to be honest, I was rather disappointed. Mercedes is providing these numbers with their turbocharged petrol engines, and even they are limited, since the gearbox can't take enough torque.

    Since same torque can be achieved with petrol, what's the point of diesel? And whoever said that M5 sounds crap in idle, sure. But when it's running, no diesel can match it's high-rev sounds.

    At least to me, sports car should sound like one as well. And having huge rev-band gives thrilling to the driving. Why do you think bikes are so much fun? And no, HDs are not.

    - Yak
    Audi A3 2,0 FSI -04, Honda CB 600F Hornet -07

  20. #59
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Issac Hunt

    All this 'petrol is best' talk is ******** in this case IMO.

    Then you may have missed the point as I do not think anyone is saying that. I believe they can both be best depending on your requirements. If my requirement was for high performance, then yes, of course I would want petrol. That does not make petrol the best in any situation.



    M

  21. #60
    motorbikez's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    cumbria
    Posts
    2,033
    [quote=Moisty]So if you have 2 supercars, 1 is powered by diesel, the higher performing one is obviously powered by petrol. For what reason would the diesel be the choice?



    The flexibility of the engine? LOL


    The mpg? Oh yes, that'll be it!

    I'm just stating my personal preference you got a problem with that, I happen to like the characteristics of diesel cars, torque ,yes better mpg whats wrong with wanting to put less money into the chancellors pocket.
    and stopping every couple of hundred miles to fill up.
    2007 Sportback S Line Tdi 170 Avus,Bose,Multi function steering wheel, Electric Lumbar support,Front centre armrest,
    Storage pack,Through load system,Folding mirrors,Non smoking pack

    2009 BMW K1300S, ABS, ASC,OBC, heated grips

  22. #61
    Moisty
    Guest
    [quote=motorbikez]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    So if you have 2 supercars, 1 is powered by diesel, the higher performing one is obviously powered by petrol. For what reason would the diesel be the choice?



    The flexibility of the engine? LOL


    The mpg? Oh yes, that'll be it!

    I'm just stating my personal preference you got a problem with that, I happen to like the characteristics of diesel cars, torque ,yes better mpg whats wrong with wanting to put less money into the chancellors pocket.
    and stopping every couple of hundred miles to fill up.
    A problem with that?

    We are talking supercars. I just genuinely don't understand the desire for a diesel in this category of car.
    If you like, the opposite of that is why would I want a petrol car if I was looking for a vehicle that I could extract the most miles per gallon from.

  23. #62
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    [quote=Moisty]
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbikez

    A problem with that?

    We are talking supercars. I just genuinely don't understand the desire for a diesel in this category of car.
    Depends what you mean by "desire".
    I doubt anyone has been sitting with their cheque book primed, wishing Audi would make a diesel version.
    But if they make one that is able to compete with the petrol, with some of the side benefits that diesel can bring, I dare say there will be a few say "why not".
    Audi evidently think there's a market for it, otherwise they wouldn't commit the millions it will inevitably cost to do it.
    If nothing else, Audi are evidently confident the racing adage 'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' will work with their LeMans winning engine.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st January 2008 at 10:00.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  24. #63
    Moisty
    Guest
    [quote=bowfer]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty


    But if they make one that is able to compete with the petrol, with some of the side benefits that diesel can bring, I dare say there will be a few say "why not".
    Yes, I suppose that is the real point isn't it "IF they can make one that is able to compete with the petrol".

    I understand that the prototype is competetive with the petrol, but will the petrol have moved on too far by the time the prototype becomes a production vehicle (if indeed it does)?


    M

  25. #64
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    We are talking supercars. I just genuinely don't understand the desire for a diesel in this category of car.
    No we're not. The R8 is not a super car.... I think you don't understand that category.

  26. #65
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    No we're not. The R8 is not a super car.... I think you don't understand that category.
    Well I think you do not understand the question as we are talking about perception or viewpoint. Whether the car is a supercar or not is not fact. Evo believe it is a supercar for example but that does not mean it is or it isn't.
    Top Gear compare with Lambo and 911, that does not mean it is or isn't a supercar.

    M

  27. #66
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    Well I think you do not understand the question as we are talking about perception or viewpoint. Whether the car is a supercar or not is not fact. Evo believe it is a supercar for example but that does not mean it is or it isn't.
    Top Gear compare with Lambo and 911, that does not mean it is or isn't a supercar.

    M
    The comparison with a Lambo can only come from the fact they are both mid-engined and both 'built' by Audi.
    Pricewise, they're miles apart.
    Cheapest Lambo is 127K.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  28. #67
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    The comparison with a Lambo can only come from the fact they are both mid-engined and both 'built' by Audi.
    Pricewise, they're miles apart.
    Cheapest Lambo is 127K.

    Indeed they are seperated by price. Not sure if there is a point there or not?




    M

  29. #68
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarified atmosphere of its own."[

  30. #69
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarified atmosphere of its own."[

    In your opinion, absolutely! All I am saying is that is not fact, just your point of view.


    M

  31. #70
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    Indeed they are seperated by price. Not sure if there is a point there or not?
    It's a pointless comparison.
    I you're looking at 127k Lambos, are you going to bother with the R8?
    Hardly.
    You're in a different buying league.
    An R8 would be something to use in the winter, to keep the Lambo clean.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  32. #71
    Moisty
    Guest
    Found this somewhere, sums it up for me.

    "The term supercar was coined to describe extremely expensive, extremely beautiful and extremely fast cars. But the proper use of this term is often subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. There is no clear definition of what characteristics a car must have to be a supercar. What constitutes a supercar is often a matter of opinion. Also, the use of the term is heavily dependent on the era - a car that is considered to be a supercar at one time may lose its superiority in the future. "


    M

  33. #72
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    It's a pointless comparison.
    I you're looking at 127k Lambos, are you going to bother with the R8?
    Hardly.
    You're in a different buying league.
    An R8 would be something to use in the winter, to keep the Lambo clean.
    Pointless! pointless for who?, you? or everyone?

    I can see your opinion there, no doubt. Wouldn't apply to me though as I like my supercars to be real headturners and the Audi ticks that box more than the baby Lambo for me.


    M

  34. #73
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    I'm not going to crane my neck to look at a 911 or R8 going past.
    I wouldn't break my stride if I walked past a parked example of either.
    That's no disrespect to the cars, just an indication of their comparitive lack of impact and the fact they are relatively common.
    There are many cars I would stop and stare at though, because it's unlikely I'll ever see one again, and highly unlikely I'll ever be able to afford one.
    That's a supercar.
    Not something that I can see in any oil company or solicitor's car park.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  35. #74
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    I'm not going to crane my neck to look at a 911 or R8 going past.
    I wouldn't break my stride if I walked past a parked example of either.
    That's no disrespect to the cars, just an indication of their comparitive lack of impact and the fact they are relatively common.
    There are many cars I would stop and stare at though, because it's unlikely I'll ever see one again, and highly unlikely I'll ever be able to afford one.
    That's a supercar.
    Not something that I can see in any oil company or solicitor's car park.

    You are fortunate then as I have never seen an R8 on the road. Perhaps when I do I will feel the same as you.


    M

  36. #75
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    You are fortunate then as I have never seen an R8 on the road. Perhaps when I do I will feel the same as you.M
    I have, several.
    As I said before, the local dealer (specialist Cars Audi, Aberdeen) has, I believe, taken the most orders for R8's in the UK.
    I would also venture it's middle aged oil executives or solicitors that have ordered them, in the main.

    With regard to your "pointless to who" question, I would say everyone.
    Do you seriously think a prospective Lambo owner is going to look at R8's?
    I doubt it.
    If he has that kind of buying power, he's going to look elsewhere.
    It's like you having the buying power for an Audi A3, but going to look at a Ford Focus too.
    You're just not going to do it, regardless of how techincally similar the cars are.
    You're going to stay within your price range.
    You might even smirk at the suggestion you would 'downgrade'.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  37. #76
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    I have, several.
    As I said before, the local dealer (specialist Cars Audi, Aberdeen) has, I believe, taken the most orders for R8's in the UK.
    I would also venture it's middle aged oil executives or solicitors that have ordered them, in the main.

    With regard to your "pointless to who" question, I would say everyone.
    Do you seriously think a prospective Lambo owner is going to look at R8's?
    I doubt it.
    If he has that kind of buying power, he's going to look elsewhere.
    It's like you having the buying power for an Audi A3, but going to look at a Ford Focus too.
    You're just not going to do it, regardless of how techincally similar the cars are.
    You're going to stay within your price range.
    You might even smirk at the suggestion you would 'downgrade'.

    "With regard to your "pointless to who" question, I would say everyone." - incorrect, does not apply to me.

    "
    Do you seriously think a prospective Lambo owner is going to look at R8's?
    I doubt it." Yep, a friend of mine is ditching his 360 and looking at a year old Lambo or a new R8.

    "If he has that kind of buying power, he's going to look elsewhere." - Incorrect as explained above.

    "It's like you having the buying power for an Audi A3, but going to look at a Ford Focus too." - incorrect again as that is precisely what I done before purchasing my A3.

    "You're just not going to do it, regardless of how techincally similar the cars are." - Incorrect as explained above.

    "You're going to stay within your price range." - That may well be YOUR view but not sure how you can assume that applies to me?

    "You might even smirk at the suggestion you would 'downgrade'" - Not sure what you mean by that?


    M

  38. #77
    Amchlolor's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    5,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Moisty
    "
    Do you seriously think a prospective Lambo owner is going to look at R8's?
    I doubt it." Yep, a friend of mine is ditching his 360 and looking at a year old Lambo or a new R8.
    Right, so he's going to look at an R8 or a used Lambo.
    So he's looking within his price range.
    If he had the money for a brand new Lambo, he probably wouldn't go anywhere near an Audi garage.
    With regard to the Focus argument, it doesn't me that you're the first to do it on here.
    Why on earth would you look at a Ford Focus if you can afford an A3?
    Why not stick to cars around the A3 price range?
    You seem to have a strange, and somewhat confusing, car history.
    M3, B3, D3, A3, and also looking at a Ford Focus.
    Hmmm...
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 21st January 2008 at 12:44.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

  39. #78
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    York
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    You seem to have a strange, and somewhat confusing, car history.
    M3, B3, D3, A3, and looking at also looking at a Ford Focus.
    Hmmm...
    Thats probably why he doesn't understand what a super car is.

  40. #79
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Right, so he's going to look at an R8 or a used Lambo.
    So he's looking within his price range.
    If he had the money for a brand new Lambo, he probably wouldn't go anywhere near an Audi garage.
    With regard to the Focus argument, it doesn't me that you're the first to do it on here.
    You seem to have a strange, and somewhat confusing, car history.
    M3, B3, D3, A3, and looking at also looking at a Ford Focus.
    Hmmm...

    I think I have got to the crux of the problem. It is confusing for you because it does not match your expectations or perception of what a car history should look like. Perhaps you need to accept your view is a view not the view?

    Well this time last year I was driving around in a 54 plate Vectra so I suspect that is really going to mess with your head.

    Maybe I should only buy a car that has a '3' in it?




  41. #80
    Moisty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by auroan
    Thats probably why he doesn't understand what a super car is.
    So I do not understand what a supercar is but you do?

    So you are saying that you can only have an opinion on what a super car is if you have previously owned a certain set of cars. Well thank you for that how enlightening.

    Maybe it is your grammar I am not picking up on. Just in case and just for you, my A3 is a super car but it is not a supercar. There, I hope that helps you.


    M

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO