Catastrophic transmission failure

mjw79

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Q5 2.0 TDI S Tronic and I have been really happy with it until it had a catastrophic transmission failure after only 42k miles! There was no warning until I tried to drive it off a drive and a warning came up on the dashboard, "Gearbox malfunction (No reverse)". RAC took the vechicle to an Audi dealer and they stated that the clutch had disintegrated and the whole system needs to be replaced at a cost of £4000!!!!

It is out of the Audi warranty and I have a thirty party warranty that Audi will not deal with, very frustrating. Audi will not replace the damaged parts as a good will gesture and I am waiting on a Customer Service Manager from Audi UK to get back to me. Is this a common problem and if it is what sort of results have people had? Look forward to your responses.

I take it you've had the gear oil changed at 38k?

Put pressure on audi uk mate as I've known vehicles with allot more miles & older that have got goodwill.

4 years old & 40k is absolutely pathetic tbh, how do they sleep at night trying to charge £4k on such a low miler, 40k is below average mileage for the age.

I had a number of conversations with Audi UK Customer Service team about this issue and to avail. They wanted some loyalty from me to fix the problem as a good will gesture (i.e. have bought the car from Audi, which I did not unfortunately*), which is strange in my mind as if they fixed the car as a good will gesture then I was probably very likely to buy another Audi! After the terrible handing of the situation by Audi I am very unlikely to buy another Audi, which is a real shame as I love my Q5. The car is now fixed and the gear box seems much more responsive than before it all went wrong. It is a joy to drive but I have a sour taste in my mouth :-(

*I wanted to buy a car from Audi but they could not get on in for three to four weeks so I went elsewhere!

What was the cost at the end of the day?