q7 steering issue

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
can hear rubbing when car is standing still (engine running) if i turn the wheel left or right,it only does it if i turn the steering a little.

Lets say ive got both hands on the wheel at '9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and i turn the wheel so it go's from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock.........or vice versa 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock

sound like rubber that is rubbing somewhere,its not inside the car (i thort back of steering was rubbing around all the plastic that go's around indicator stalks,ignition)

If i switch the engine off i dont get no rubbing sound.........it is not very loud....very annoying.

if engines running i get someone to rock the steering,i can feel it through the front wheels.
what i mean is,i got my daughter to rock the wheel side to side and i had my hand gripping the front wheel,i can feel like there is play in the wheel?

Its like the shaft has play in it....both sides is the same..........car drives ok,no problems.

All i have had done is the alignment which is all within spec.
But i never noticed these 2 issues until today,they could have been there all along

funny thing is.....all day today it aint done it,i went to local tyre place,they said theres movement ...side to side of both front ball joints,is this possibble?....
maybe that had something do with the rubbing?
no knocking or anything,car drives spot on,and its funny they both got play at same time.

not had time take it anywhere else.