Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: MMI Firmware

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8

    MMI Firmware

    Hi folks



    Couple of questions before I pick up my used 2009 q5 s-line tomorrow:



    1) Is the MMI firmware independent of the map version?

    2) How much does a firmware update cost? I'm asking the dealer to ensure they update before I arrive

    3) I'm struggling to find the latest MMI firmware version on the web... anyone able to provide it?



    Many thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    s8craig's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,557
    All Q5's fitted with navigation are MMI 3G (high or low)

    Typically all firmware is done by the dealership now as SVM codes are required with an online connection to germany.

    The map updates are also done at a dealership after 2011 as they require online activation.

    I would not recommend anyone with a 3G car to attempt there own MMI updates unless of course they want to

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig View Post
    All Q5's fitted with navigation are MMI 3G (high or low)

    Typically all firmware is done by the dealership now as SVM codes are required with an online connection to germany.

    The map updates are also done at a dealership after 2011 as they require online activation.

    I would not recommend anyone with a 3G car to attempt there own MMI updates unless of course they want to
    Many thanks


    I had a call from the dealer saying that the firmware was up to date, but they would only update the maps from the 2009 version to 2012 for GBP240 (MMI high)


    It's a shame it costs so much - just depends whether I think UK maps have changes a great deal in 3 years I suppose!


    cheers

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Also - can anyone confirm if the 'Europe' map contains UK and Ireland, or is that a separate file? Cheers

  6. #5
    s8craig's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,557
    It is all European countries to street level on the MMI systems including the UK and Ireland

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig View Post
    It is all European countries to street level on the MMI systems including the UK and Ireland
    you're a star

    hate to be a pain, but any idea what the latest firmware serial is? would be useful to put it in front of dealer. many thanks

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12
    I have MMI low I believe. 2009 A6 with nav DVD in glovebox.
    i was looking to update my firmware to enable 3d mapping, but my local Audi dealer isn't willing to sell me the cd as it is a dealer only operation.
    CD only costs £5. Anyone else had this problem or done the update themselves?

  9. #8
    s8craig's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,557
    MMI low does not support 3D mapping so a waste of time. You may be thinking of the MMI 2G (pre 2009) which could be updated with the £5 disk set to get 3D mapping once you got to version 3450, but you have MMI 3G low (from your previous post regarding SD card slots) and 3D mapping is not an option on MMI 3G low, only on 3G high.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig View Post
    MMI low does not support 3D mapping so a waste of time. You may be thinking of the MMI 2G (pre 2009) which could be updated with the £5 disk set to get 3D mapping once you got to version 3450, but you have MMI 3G low (from your previous post regarding SD card slots) and 3D mapping is not an option on MMI 3G low, only on 3G high.
    So you can have 3D mapping pre 09 cars and on post 10 cars !! That seems a little odd that the facility would be taken away and then brought back. I shall keep looking .......

  11. #10
    s8craig's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,557
    Keep looking all you want, it's well documented. 3D mapping is on HDD based cars only. It's called marketing, if you want the better functionality you buy the better option.

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig View Post
    Keep looking all you want, it's well documented. 3D mapping is on HDD based cars only. It's called marketing, if you want the better functionality you buy the better option.
    But that is my point. It is not just available in the HDD equipped cars, with a firmware update 3D mapping is also available in pre-09 cars. It just seems odd that Audi would leave out the option for 2009 and 2010 cars !!

  13. #12
    s8craig's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,557
    Sorry but that's how it is, DVD based low systems do not have the feature. If you think about it the MMI 2G systems were also high and low or high and basic as they were known. The high had 3D maps from around 2007 to 2009, but the low system (although it was text based) did not. You have bought a car with low (even though it's DVD based) and it does not have 3D mapping.

  14. #13
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    12
    I have aquired an Audi Nav update disc part No 8R0 906 961 BD, but havnt tried it yet, as I am not convinced it is the right one, but was told by Audi that it is. They wanted over £120 in labour charges to install it.
    I appreciate the comments that it is not possible, but the below video seems to show 3D mapping is available on 3G low models..

    2009 Audi A6 Beauty Shost Interior MMI - YouTube

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 A6 MMI Basic Plus Firmware Update
    By johnny_m in forum Parts Requests
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th September 2011, 10:06
  2. A6 MMI Software/Firmware updates...
    By madmac in forum In-Car Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17th October 2008, 00:09
  3. MMI with BOSE
    By midwood in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th February 2006, 13:55
  4. AUDI DVD NAVIGATION DISK MMI for sale
    By pteyeo in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th December 2005, 21:57
  5. AUDI DVD NAVIGATION DISK MMI for sale
    By pteyeo in forum A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th December 2005, 10:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO