retro upgrade q7 2011 sound system

pravinkumar

Reaction score
need help - just bought new 2011 4.2 TDI Q7 - opted for basic sound system and its crap....had a 2008 q7 for 3 yrs with basic system and it was great system - they seem to have changed to some cheaper version now - bec the old one was so good i did not opt for bose ($3000 option) ... so now thinking of retrofit at least the speakers- how to do this and is this the right option ---help

Probably best going to a reputable hifi installer and getting real gear put in - Back when I had a Mini I had someone put in decent stuff to replace the rubbish basic system under the proviso that it had to look 100% stock - sounded amazing and nobody would ever know the difference to look.

Only thing they have changed is the amplifier. The old standard Q7 sound system had the seperate amplifier and then the facelift 3G systems have the amp built into the radio, but they should both be 11 speakers.

thanks for info ... yes - both of you are so correct...just as well I did not get the insides of q7 ripped up by some sideline company to change speakers as the problem does appear to be not the speakers per se......
I have formally complained to audi NZ and they denied any change initially... after more e mails they say it will be further looked into...meanwhile it is hard to get expert opinion outside of audi as NZ is a small country and non audi dealers have little experience with such complicated vehicle with MMI system etc
It does seem to need a additional better quality subwoofer and now I am so confused regarding the amplifier - as s8Craig says- the amplifier may be the main culprit but how to change without interfering with central control system

The problem is that most people do not appreciate sound flaws ...it sounds ok to them.

s8Craig - U appear to be a expert.... I am so frustrated ....a I bought all the upgrades possible on this V84.2 except the sound system (so foolish of me)....whats the best thing to do without interfering with the front MMI control system in your opinion ...ie which ammplifier.....how about bose upgrade ?

You could upgrade to BOSE, I did it in my standard sound system Q7, but it's not the easiest of jobs and requires all new main speakers, not tweeters, but main speakers to be replaced by BOSE ones, a new amplifier fitting to the boot and two new rear roof mounted speakers and a sub in the wheel well. So quite a bit of wiring and changes, it took me a day to fix in the speakers into the roof space and swap all the main speakers to BOSE, plus all the additional wiring. Mine was 2G, not 3G, so yours will require additional wiring to connect the speaker wires from the radio area upto the amp which is mount about 2' above the radio.

Please do not ask me for a how to or instructions as I did this a long time ago as a one off to my own Q7. And as I said, mine was 2G and yours is 3G

THANKS s8Craig...thats very helpful...i will give the info to the audi dealer here (wellington, New Zealand) ...and get a estimate of costs...bec they will do it I know they will charge heaps...which is ok as i have already spent $165,000 NZ on the vehicle so dont mind spending bit more as the system irks me so much....hope the bose is much better system and worth spending on

thanks

s8CRaig,

U are correct....the dealers are not giving clear answer as to whether they can change to Bose or not.....they told me they have sent e mail to germany and Re awaiting reply!

The annoying sound is coming from the front door speaker where the substandard subwoofer/woofer is. ...it is so annoying that I listen to music quietly with the fader on front (dashboard/instrument) panel speakers only .... Do u think getting a reputable non- audi car hi fi company to - put in a new good subwoofer in the rear and
- substitute the front door speaker with a mid range speaker ??
Sorry for bothering you with these questions ....the system is complex and expertise here is so limited

I don't mean to be rude... But ummmm (being somewhat nuts on the subject), until I noticed the variation in spelling, and then that you're in NZ at present (and not a hotel in London), etc. - I was getting carried away!

... Praveen Kumar | India Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

All the best getting your audio sorted!... I'll bounce the post around to make a redirect in the ICE section to maybe give it a bump...

Rob.