Project black ('97 2.8Q)

Padz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, been on here a wee while now and on my second A4, its a 1997 2.8 Quattro in black. I will be making a good few changes over the coming months so thought i would document them here.

The car - 1997 'P reg 2.8 Quattro - black, 121k miles, Fsh (most of it audi).

The plans - facelifted, 18/19" black rims, coilovers, s4 bumper, ice, exhaust/intake mods, clean it!

Be back soon with some pics etc..

This was my old A4 (2.6)

2hdwf8z.jpg

And here is the new one

2n0ofuv.jpg

258tlwl.jpg

efuwp.jpg

35me7iu.jpg

30ubfdc.jpg

Sorry the car is a bit dirty in the pics, really need to give it a good detail when the weather is better..
Other things i will be doing are H.I.D's, S4 style mesh grille (all black), possibly remove the rear spoiler as i dont like it, and i desperatley need new No. plates so will be going for some smoked items but want to get a private plate also.

The car actually came to me with these tail lights

17wwap.jpg

As you can see i have now removed the offending items and they are boxed up ready to be sold on gay bay.. if anyone on here wants them please pm me, they are in perfect order just not my thing..

Good first mod mate, these things make me cringe when i see them now!!!

Car looks a nice tidy base to work with!

Good first mod mate, these things make me cringe when i see them now!!!

Car looks a nice tidy base to work with!

Lol, yeah that was the 1st thing i did, order facelift tails as those lexus jobbies just look so bad, why would anyone remove quattro tails to fit them?!!?

Car will be just grand once it gets a right good service, its going away this week for Insp.2, coolant temp. sensor, new thermostat and rear brakes and also need a few sensors seen to, im also hoping to get my mates H.I.D's off his passat so they will possibly be fitted too, ill post up pics again soon.

SO an update, had the car in for Inspection 2, h.i.d's are now fitted (pic up as soon as i take one), new rear brakes and coolant temp sensor fitted. My guy couldnt do the thermostat and he couldnt adjust the abs sensors so i still need that doing and the airbag light is still on and the tracking/alignment needs doing but that can wait till i get rims + coilies..

Something ive noticed is that it seems to be down on power, my last a4 (2.6) felt a good bit more responsive, does anyone have any ideas? was thinking of putting it on a rolling road or such like??

I really wanna put some facelift headlights on but im not sure of the work required to make them fit, ive seen 2 peice items from america does anyone have any experience with these?

Ill give it a wash and put up a pic of the hids later on.

Todays work - fitted new battery as old one was on its ****.. What a bitch of a job to do, broke the scuttle panel while doing it so will need a new one lol, also had a look at the pollen filter - dont think its ever been changed in its life so will get a new one asap.

SO an update, had the car in for Inspection 2, h.i.d's are now fitted (pic up as soon as i take one), new rear brakes and coolant temp sensor fitted. My guy couldnt do the thermostat and he couldnt adjust the abs sensors so i still need that doing and the airbag light is still on and the tracking/alignment needs doing but that can wait till i get rims + coilies..

Something ive noticed is that it seems to be down on power, my last a4 (2.6) felt a good bit more responsive, does anyone have any ideas? was thinking of putting it on a rolling road or such like??

I really wanna put some facelift headlights on but im not sure of the work required to make them fit, ive seen 2 peice items from america does anyone have any experience with these?

Ill give it a wash and put up a pic of the hids later on.

Vagcom, if you have it, will give you feedback on possible problems causing the power loss.

Later spec headlights make a MAJOR difference imo, and from wot i gather it doesnt seem a big job to tackle, mine came with them fitted luckily but if your quite handy im sure most people could do it hassle free.

Good job getting the essentials sorted first before any mods, sensible approach and will be worth it in the long run mate.

Right, people keep going on about this vag com - i gather its a diagnostics programme and you plug the car into a laptop? the software is pretty expensive so i need to find somebody who has it??

From what ive been reading the facelift lights will fit the pre-face wings with a wee bit of butchering? I actually need new front wings anyway as mine have started to bubble so would facelift itemes be a straight fit?

Yeah i always like to get the car running spot on before i mod it, that said i have aquired a set of 18" rs4 style rims which ill be getting done in black with a red lip, need to get some tyres too, but ill wait till ive got coilovers on before i fit them otherwise it will just look ghey lol