2008cc 20 Valve Turbo Stroker Build

beast lol what baset (i think thats what there called) did you use for the bigger fuel pump?

I think the basket used to house the pump is from a Coupe Quattro but I can't be 100% sure and you will need to modify it extensively to fit the Bosch 044 into it, 034 Motorsport supplied mine and I have to say it dropped right in without any messing about, everything needed was supplied in a kit, bit pricey though but I didn't want to chance putting it together myself for the few quid saving, could cost me a hell of lot more if I got it wrong!

Today I wasn't planning to do anything but just couldn't resist with it being a such a nice day. Removed all the lower door trims and sill trims, clay bar'd, polished & waxed in preparation of pre-fitting the used S4 skirts & lowers before getting them painted, I've opted to go the full OEM route and bought all the brackets and associated gubbins from the stealership. Scrubbed up quite well I think.

P4110003.jpg

P4110001.jpg

Back to work tomorrow but hopefully the parts I've ordered will arrive so I can finish putting the driveshafts back together when I get home. Got some more good news this afternoon, Cpt Jack @ Satans Child has got my 034 ECU finally, still needs to go back state side to be upgraded etc but as soon as I get it back with the loom I think a test fire will be in order, I will sleep soundly knowing it runs.

Just busy putting my stainless steel shopping list together, anyone know where I can get a nice OEM style custom back box made?

Hi, I'm pretty new to the forum and just stumbled upon this thread. Congrats on how you've done so far... looks like a pretty awesome build :icon_thumright:

Hello, welcome and thanks for the kind words. I'm quite pleased with how things are turning out, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel now, I've been gathering parts and building the motor for over a year now so I'm glad to see it slowly come together. I've been working on the car tonight again so I will post an update soon.:icon_thumright:

very nice,
wish I had the time to complete my build as quick as yours!

I skimmed through it all just now so sorry if this is a repeated question...
what ECU/File/injectors are you using?

Cheers Buddy

Still plenty to do before im done here! But progress has been good the last week, Unfortunately work gets in the way of my progress! I'm off again in two weeks and I hope to get through the worst of it. Do you have a link to your build thread?

Anyway I've opted for the 034EFI Stage II C ECU with a file written for this motor, Injectors are low impedance 840cc Siemens Deka's. Choose this setup due to the inability to run the motor the way I want on the stock ECU, this way changes are easily made & tuning won't cost me and arm & leg. Plus the ECU has alot of other features you'll never get in a standard Audi. Anti-lag, flat shift, 2 step Launch control etc which I think I can put to good use.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...ld-thread-(GT2871)&highlight=20v+2008+stroker

I suffered from "spec creep". only wanted a 300bhp upgrade before.
went 2871 as I don't want more than 400 at the most. its a daily with 3 kid seats across the back most of the time!

Know what you mean about work getting in teh way!! I am 2 years into parts collection and building bits up at a time.
I went Tapp/Eurodyne 630cc as it is pretty much plug and play. If I had a B6 I would have gone for his Maestro upgrade as you can tweak all day and it has all the features you mentioned.

I just need about a week of no interuptions to finish it! fat chance

That ever so familiar Spec creep! It's a bitch hey! Hence I'm In 2 Deep! In for a penny, in for a pound as it were. Just hope it's all worth it in the end. I see your using the 2871R that thing will be so responsive on the 2.0, probably a better choice than GT30R as its going to lag badly, but super aggression will only be a cog away, It will take me back to my 2 stroke motocross days lol.

2 years, thats some commitment that fella, I know how hard it is to keep going. Many times I've nearly thrown in the towel myself after a year, Its looking good though & good to see another fellow B5'er going all out, keep it up dude and just ignore the world for that 1 week, you will be glad you did!

I considered doing an ECU transplant with a later ECU but to be honest I just couldn't be bothered with it all, I felt that a standalone would likely be a more flexible offering although I know it won't have the same finess. I have someone lined up to tune this on his 4 wheel dyno, he has some good 1.8T experience, he tuned an old Scirocco with a 1.8T, ran a 10.6 1/4. 650BHP!

Update

Cam chain tensioner, timing belt, alternator, throttle body & propshaft all fitted. The S4 uprights are away having new wheel bearings fitted. I only received 1 CV boot kit so I will wait till the other one turns up before getting them sorted & fitted. I re-routed the hard vac line that runs across the front of the bulk head from the fuel tank I think, it's now hidden behind the scuttle panel and pops out of an unused bulkhead plug and the AC hard line boot, I was suprised to find a strut brace tucked away underneath everything back there! Never noticed that before.

P4170008.jpg

Just working on the fuel lines now, I think I have a plan to sort out the FPR location. Also in the middle of fitting up the S4 skirts & lower door mouldings to get the brackets bolted to the chassis, Still need to mount the intercooler & front bumper before paint. Getting there slowly!

Today I got the fuel pressure regulator finally fitted, welded a little bracket together to save drilling the bulkhead and utilised a few of the vast array of studs. Then quickly made up the hoses to get it finished off, Just ordered some hose finishers to connect it to the original hard lines, another job done.

P4180010.jpg

P4180013.jpg

P4180012.jpg

P4180011.jpg

P4180016.jpg

P4180017.jpg

P4180005.jpg

You'll notice the ancillary bracket is now black, I actually had to remove the AEB one as it's different to the one on the AJL. They use completely different power steering pumps and these aren't interchangeable without the bracket. I could have used the AEB one but the original hoses wouldn't fit, plus the fact there might be a reason there different. So not taking any chances I decided to swap them over and keep the original steering pump & hoses. Glad I did because I badly nipped the O ring between the block & water pump and would have leaked everywhere, luckily I have a few spares knocking about so I swapped that out and assembled.

Also finished pre-fitting the S4 side skirts, Im missing 2 brackets from my Audi order, there on the invoice but not in the box. Lets see if I end up paying twice for them! It's always the expensive ones too :banghead:

P4180003.jpg

P4180004.jpg

Next job is getting the intercooler & front bumper mounted, Should be fetching the S4 uprights at some point in the week so I can get it back on wheels for the time being. Hope this volcano calms down soon, won't be getting my ECU or loom in a hurry.

Quick update

Front end is temporarily back on and I've tried to fit the S4 bumper. I have the correct side mounts but the screw holes don't line up so some careful drilling is required there, Im guessing this maybe a difference in facelift & pre-facelift? Also the bumper strut jobbies are not right, but it looks like you can adjust them so I will have a play and hopefully avoid forking out more cash! But If anyone has a pair of S4 bumper strut jobbies please let me know.

P4200001.jpg

Once the bumper is on I need to figure out how to mount this.........

P4200008.jpg

Pukka Garrett high efficiency core, cast end tanks fully TIG'd. Bar & plate design good for 500+ Hp. Should keep things nice and cool :cool:

Also got the CV's back on the shafts with there new boots, made up another turbo coolant feed line to replace the one running in front of the motor, 034 Motorsport sell a part that fits into the little plastic coolant pipe on the back of the head so I will take my feed from there instead.

I've been having a bit of think about all this spraying I will need doing on the bumpers, skirts, door mouldings etc not to mention the fact some chav keyed the car all the way down one side, all 4 panels and fairly deep. So putting it right will cost alot, plus the colour match just can't be the same, close but not the same. Which leaves me wondering what the most affordable soultion is, so I've been considering a full body wrap.......

http://www.raccoon.co.uk/

http://www.carbonskin.co.uk/index.html

Haven't decided exactly what I would go for if I went this route & I would have to see a wrapped car first before letting them loose, but what do you guys think?

Update

After spending Saturday at Oulton Park watching the Time Attack I felt motivated to crack on and get things moving. So I've managed to fit the S4 uprights, get all the suspension fitted & torqued down, S4 bumper is on for now, needs a bit more attention to fit right. Polished my wheels & calipers with Rimwax, fitted the front Brakes & wheels and its now on the ground again:). I intend to start removing the rear subframe next.

P4250013.jpg

P4250012.jpg

P4250002.jpg

P4250001.jpg

Don't know why my camera can't take pictures of red things without making them look pink!

I'm so close yet so far if you know what I mean. Just so difficult to keep going sometimes when you work alone! Never the less I have completely stripped the back end of the car now and fetched the new bolts from Audi that I had to cut off, some of those bolts had never been touched so after 10 years & 135K miles I'm sure you can imagine how they looked!

P5030006.jpg

The subframe, lower wishbones, tie rods and uprights were proper minging so I had to sort them out in the usual way, I also removed the handbrake cables as I have RS4 ones to use with the RS4 rear brake setup (bit of a stretch with A4 cables, RS4 are 3" longer). I also removed the bushes and fitted uprated items.

Rear diff carrier bushes, these were properly soft

P5050002.jpg

After, 034 Motorsport bushes fitted

P5050012.jpg

OEM Front mount next to the Apikol mount

P5050005.jpg

Subframe mounts Before, these were all completely ********, the aluminium had mostly turned to oxide, I could remove the inner part of the mount with a good swing on the lump hammer!

P5050013.jpg

These will be replaced with billet mounts from 034

P5050008.jpg

P5050011.jpg

This lot is ready to fit again come the weekend if I can motivate myself, still need a pair of RS4 rear discs to complete all the work for the rear end. Next step is TIG welding my custom 3" exhaust, charge pipes and intercooler brackets all from stainless as I only have a DC TIG setup.

Your doing a fantastic job fella Great stuff! gunna be a beast!

Cheers Matt

Cheers Matey, Its slowly getting there now, hopefully won't be too long till I can turn the key. I just hope it survives the break in & dyno tune, time will tell.

Just had a read through of your work. Going to be awesome!

I used to dream of big turboing my A4 a while back. Really looking forward to seeing what figures your build produces.

I like the wheels also, nice and light and a bit different to most fitted to A4's.

I sure hope so dude, it will be a completely different beast to what I was used to that's for sure, can't ****** wait to get behind the wheel, I miss the A4 badly.

I'm going to be a nervous wreck on dyno day, assuming its still in one piece when it gets there! I sure hope it makes 450+ crank when we finally turn the boost up.

I'm still not sure about the wheels myself, they are a bit different to the normal A4 choice and they are made in the UK as well. Kind of wish I could of stuck with the OEM Ronal sport wheels but there was no way I could have got my brakes under them without spacers and I didn't want to go there with the torque this thing should put out. Still might get another set of wheels yet as I've been eyeing some up! Where this project ends, god only knows!

I should make some decent progress this weekend, Ive not touched it all week as I was getting fed up but I'm all fired up again now, so time to crack the whip! :whip:

Thats a very (extremely infact) respectfull build with NO expense spared and everything done to an A1 standard. All those parts must have cost you close to buying a B5 RS4! I have the utmost respect for bods like yourself and the dude thats recentley dropped in a 5 pot UR engine! Now I have finished blowing the sun up your ****, when do you hope to have this little (well very big) project/gem completed?

Ollie

P.S....How on earth do you manage to stop the MRS whining at you for spending so much time on your car? I have yet to learn how to stem the flow of lady abuse I get whenever I pop the bonnet.....Please help, Ollie, Marlow.......LOL!:crying:

Last edited:
Thanks alot Ollie, it really means alot to me to hear that:icon_thumright:

I hope to get it finished very soon, there really isnt much left to finish for now. Your right though it hasn't been cheap by any means, kind of lost track if I'm honest LOL, Its not quite RS4 money but If I'd bought one I wouldn't have left that alone either! I know when its properly finished it will be a true one off as I have a few things left up my sleeve yet, just have to see it work before I chuck any more money at it. I have managed to keep the costs alot lower than you might expect though, all the work has been done by me and I have scooped some serious bargains along the way.

As far as keeping the other half happy, that ones easy, I just got rid of her! No joke! (not purely because of the car but it helped) I just take what ever comes my way if you know what I mean LOL ;)

Mate, thats hillarious!! Your ex-mrs got in the way of the build so you binned her!! Now thats dedication!! I wish I had the time to start and complete something like that. Trouble is I have no garage (just a lowly driveway that 3 cars have to share!!!), and limited tools at my disposal. I am completely opposed to getting anything done by a grease monkey (garage) unless I have NO other option. Everything I do takes place at the weekend AFTER I have got the other half to stop moaning (usually bate her with Haagen Daaz and a chick flick.....), which leaves me clear to crack on! The idea of a B5 RS4 is still very appealing, but everytime I give it serious consideration I keep on thinking of all the reasons not to get one like.......Collosal insurance premium, running costs and the financial explosion two replacement K04's would be......I would be just like you though, if I did buy one, there is no way in hell I would be able to leave it alone! Every car I have ever had, even when the I told myself "this is just a run around/family car" , I have always tinkered in some way shape or form. I just can't help myself!

Mate, thats hillarious!! Your ex-mrs got in the way of the build so you binned her!! Now thats dedication!!
I've been through two now and they were both faulty! :)

I too can't leave anything alone, even my PS3 got modified! But I've always repaired / modified my own cars/bikes, on the odd occasion I've let a garage do something its never to my satisfaction. So over the years I've built a respectable arsenal of tools so when I set too not much can stop me! I have a second car which is a proper knacker scratcher but it helps me out the poo when stuff goes wrong with the A4. I have always worked on the driveway but agree without a garage it would be very tough, this would mean car parts in the house! and that age old problem of being nagged & bollocked by the woman! LOL

Before I started this project I seriously considered a B5 S4/RS4 as I would love one, but after doing alot of digging I decided against it as most owners are forever removing the engines to do the most simple of tasks, plus all the points you mentioned. Besides I'm sure my A4 will hold its own against the stock S4's & RS4's out there when its done, might even show them a clean pair of heels, who knows!

All I can say to that is I hope it does, as unconvential means are usually the best ones.....

Good Luck on Dyno Day!

Ollie

All I can say to that is I hope it does

You know it will!

Update

Right then I have been busy again! The rear is as good as back together now. Big thanks to Chris for his help this afternoon couldn't have done it without ya.

Pretty much everything fitted, just need to torque the last few things and jobs a good'an. I still need to change both rear outer CV boots which I will do tomorrow if I have the energy to get the hub bolts out!

P5210009.jpg

P5210006.jpg

P5210005.jpg

The next big task is TIG welding the exhaust, intercooler pipes & intercooler bracket. I will measure up tomorrow and order the mandrel bends, V bands & flexi's, I've got a fresh bottle of Argon and stacks of filler rods so I'm ready to go.

Also I measured up some alternative rear discs against an RS4 rear caliper today in a bid to try and make them a bit more affordable, £500 for a pair of RS4 discs is just robbery! They are alot lighter than my alternative but £500! No. There 310mm Vs. the RS4's 312mm so im sure I can handle 1mm less on radius and there the same PCD, happy days.

I can see the light now, won't be long.:racer:

Hows the build going this week mate? Dead keen to find out what the finished article will be like......RS4 speed???!!! - I ****** WELL HOPE SO!!

Its been a lazy week if I'm honest but strangely an expensive one! All my exhausts parts have arrived today though, so tomorrow I will get busy. Obviously I couldn't just do nothing all week so I have refitted my OEM ECU and loom. I also used some 3M DI NOC carbon fibre on my B pillar trims, I damaged the finish on the trim when I made a mould to make some carbon fibre ones, so I had to do something to cover the mess! I actually think they look really good.

P5220001-1.jpg

Thats about it really. Progress should pick up again now as I have something to be getting on with and a week off work. My loom & ECU should arrive very soon if 034 Motorsport keeps to there promise! Not much to do now. I'm going to try and get it running for GTI fest on the 26th of July, obviously the body work will still look like a patch work quilt but im not ***** at this point!

Your going to be busy mate! Whats up with the bodywork?

Always busy mate, never stop! I say bodywork, but I really meant paintwork.

UPDATE

I've spent the day making the rear section of the exhaust, It was really difficult on my own without a ramp, there were many choice words echoing from under the car, passers by must have thought I had turrets! I persevered and got there in the end. I managed to pull it off without cheating any bends so I've ended up with a homebrew 3" mandrel bent system, fully TIG welded and back purged, it doesn't weigh a right lot so I'm quite happy with the end product so far. I still need to make the straight section that runs down the tunnel to the downpipe and all the hangers but that's easy in comparison. I've just finished running all the welds, in hindsight it might have been a better idea to wait till tomorrow as my torch arm was a bit shakey after grafting all day.

My TIG setup.

P5300002.jpg

The exhaust ready to weld, purge line in and all the seams taped up.

P5300005.jpg

And all finished!

P5300006.jpg

My welds look like this, not the best I've ever done but ain't coming apart!

P5300008.jpg

Good work with the exhaust, welds looks pretty good, wot tailpipe u goin for?

Cheers fella, for now I'm going to use a piece of 3" pipe, I intend to use an OEM looking twin pipe but I can't find one that fits a 3" pipe! I will make one in the same way a merge collector is constructed eventually.

James, I weld with pure Argon gas in the torch and in the purge line. I'm not exactly a qualified welder, I taught myself to TIG weld but I seem to do OK. Its difficult to get into comfortable positions when you don't have the space so I end up contorting myself into some strange positions and this effects the look of the weld!

Cheers guys :)

im very keen on getting myself a tig now and bining the mig! were did you get the tig welder from if you dont mind me asking?

I have used MIG, stick, gas in the past but I prefer TIG over everything else, its not as quick but its much nicer.

This is what I have, Its perfect for all the thin wall stuff I do, the support from the company is excellent. It has all the functions of a very expensive welder and runs on a 13amp plug, happy days! I've never used more than 45 amps and it will do that a 100% duty cycle so no worries there.

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Tig_Welder/Tig_Welders_R-Tech_Tig160PDC

Brill thanks for the info,i will be getting one of these at the end of the month! now im itching to get started!

2Deep, Just been browsing over your work again mara....You must have been involved in some interesting/big builds to achieve the skillset you have required without going to college and making a living from it. What I'm getting at is I have been fiddling with cars (mostly Jap) for 6ish years and a fair few man-hours and the limit of my know-how ends at the changing a head gasket level!! LOL!!! What have you been involved in mate? Dog's body for a touring car team!??? lol!!

just been reading your thread over and noticed you are using the 2 litre ABF crank? hope so as my mate has one spare sorry for the questions as im new to the 1.8t motors....:blush:

Last edited: