I think its time for a quick update; unfortunately progress has slowed due to being involved in other folk’s projects! I’ve been fabricating all sorts, drawing stuff up for machining and running back & forth to the machine shop and what not! But in between all that I have managed to get a few small things done………..
Finished off mounting the Tilton reservoirs to the strut bar, once I’d drilled all the holes I tapped em all out to accept the M8 fasteners
Then bolted them on
Happy days! Then bolted the strut bar back into the car……
I then turned my attention to the planned wiring changes. First job was to get the battery + bulkhead fitting fitted because naturally the battery is going in the back of the car.
Then for once I saved a few quid by reusing the S2’s battery cable, the battery in my S2 was mounted under the rear bench so the cable fit the bill & it fit perfectly, made for’t job.
So I just need a battery tray to mount my red top race battery into and that’s another job ticked off the list.
I then turned my attention to the ECU wiring and various upgrades & or additions, since the ECU use to be mounted in the plenum tray next to the battery’s original position, I wanted to now mount this in the car, hence the bulkhead connectors. So first job was to plan which wires needed to go where, so of them won’t leave the cabin where as some obviously will pass through the bulkhead connectors. If I didn’t sit down and think about this I would without doubt forget something and once it’s all braided you can’t add or change the wiring without starting again! So Big brew, note pad, multi meter & big bundles of wire were required
So with the ECU now planned to live where the rear bench normally goes I routed the cabling accordingly to gauge the lengths of braiding to order and make sure everything was going to reach.
Now I’m happy that’s all going to be alright I’ve ordered all the cable braiding and heatshrink from the far east, it normally comes through swiftly so once that arrives I can braid the looms up from the comfort of my couch. Still need to make the ECU bracket which I've already drawn up, that won't take long.
I plan to add in some additional functionality to the set up by utilising some of the unused inputs to the ECU, launch control, MAP select, Hi / low boost & possibly nitrous. I will need a switch panel to make all this work, problem being that I can’t reach the centre console whilst strapped to the bucket seat so I need to have a think about that.
And thats all for now folks, hopefully progress will pick up again now I have satisfied my friends requests for parts! I have a few things up my sleeve........... All will be revealed in time.