JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    3rd Gear

Status

Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

Rich said earlier that you would need 375bhp (i think that was it!) to get the same power to weight, i think someone said it was around a 20% power loss for an S3[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. So it would need to be fairly powerful!

Correct me if i'm wrong peeps!

2. # ADS
    ADS

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Robthehungrymonkey said:
    Rich said earlier that you would need 375bhp (i think that was it!) to get the same power to weight, i think someone said it was around a 20% power loss for an S3[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. So it would need to be fairly powerful!

Correct me if i'm wrong peeps!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more than that unfortunately! a standard S3 does (iirc) about 140bhp @ wheels... im currently producing about 265 at the wheels!

Rich

1st Gear

Status

but an S3 is significant quicker than a FWD drive car putting out 140bhp at the wheels, e.g St170 puts out about 150bhp at the wheels and is MUCH slower than the S3.

So if an S3 was putting out 265bhp at the wheels im sure it would be MUCH quicker than a FWD car putting out 265bhp at the wheels.

although for the S3 to be putting down 265, it would have to have about 375+ bhp. using the same figures as above (140bhp at wheels, with standard S3 of 210bhp)

so comparing performance using only this would be mis-leading.

Mark

Neutral

Status

so by chiping by 210 bhp S3 all i have done is made up the tranmission loss!

S3 Drift King!

Status

According to my remapped S3 power plots from Amd, 260.9 bhp @ flywheel, power loss through transmission and tyres 69.7bhp (36.8%) = 189.4bhp @ wheels. Still... I might have a hint of a chance against Rich on a wet track lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

my car was showing 217.4bhp @ the flywheel and 130bhp @ the wheels thats a loss of 87.4 bhp, really wish I hadn't bothered with the quattro as there seems to be very little advantage to having it on the A3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    NWMark said:
    but an S3 is significant quicker than a FWD drive car putting out 140bhp at the wheels, e.g St170 puts out about 150bhp at the wheels and is MUCH slower than the S3.

So if an S3 was putting out 265bhp at the wheels im sure it would be MUCH quicker than a FWD car putting out 265bhp at the wheels.

although for the S3 to be putting down 265, it would have to have about 375+ bhp. using the same figures as above (140bhp at wheels, with standard S3 of 210bhp)

so comparing performance using only this would be mis-leading.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's looking at 0-60 figures no doubt, but once on the move it's a very different story! My FWD 200hp A3 can outrun a 260hp+ S3 once on the move, but from a standing start it's a different story, as you really need perfect road conditions for a good start in a FWD car...unless of course like Rich you have an aftermarket traction control system. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Rich, just remember, i gave you those springs free, to help you save up for this conversion. Now, when do i get to borrow the car for the day [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jojo said:
    OK guys, sat in Rich's car yesterday morning at the Castle Combe racing track in the Audi driver International meet and it just blew me away with its performance and torque. This thing just takes off when the revs hit around 4K revs and just pulls upto and pass the rev limiter to about 7K revs(this also brings a Vag-com fault 'Engine speed exceeded, engine warrenty void' lol). To give you an idea of the speed upto around 120mph, a red RS4 couldn't pass Rich on the straight in at least 3 attempts, says it all really. Extremely good conversion and worth every penny after witnessing the couple of quattro's and couple of S2's that Rich wasted with me in the passenger seat. Total respect man! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that prety much sums it up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

It was good to put a face to a name yesterday mate, Car looked even better in the flesh and after looking at yours and quite a few others I think I need some better brakes!

Shame the weather was bad but hopefully I'll get to experience the wrath of the IHI
    next time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

lookin good rich,

now what are the specs of ur monster can u give us a run down [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What u getting 0 - 60

And 1/4 mile times too

cheers
    Costa...

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    XXX 1.8T said:
    lookin good rich,

now what are the specs of ur monster can u give us a run down [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What u getting 0 - 60

And 1/4 mile times too

cheers
    Costa...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure to be honest mate! Very hard to say. 0-60 times will not be all that great at the moment due to not being able to put the power down in first (and second in the wet!)

Once i get racelogic installed and running correctly, it will not be a problem to get sub 6 second 0-60 and 13-14 second quarter miles.

Rich

6th Gear

Status

It's taken me a good 15 minutes to read the whole thread, but what a read [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am so pleased that everything has turned out well in the end and the power must be something else [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hope to see it at one of the shows.

How about getting a sound clip of the car up? :P

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Markb said:
    It's taken me a good 15 minutes to read the whole thread, but what a read [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I am so pleased that everything has turned out well in the end and the power must be something else [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hope to see it at one of the shows.

How about getting a sound clip of the car up? :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Rich, where is the footage of the car going into a spin mate? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], actually should have switch the camera on when you took me out aswell, would have been an interesting watch!

...Watching you!

Status

heres a video courtesy of dwarfslapper

Video 1
    Video 2

Rich

1st Gear

Status

Rich the 1st one telss me the file format is invalid and the second one gives me a 404 error

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Leddy said:
    Rich the 1st one telss me the file format is invalid and the second one gives me a 404 error

[/ QUOTE ]

bit ahead of myself.. posted before uploading! Try the first one now... second one in 10!

5th Gear

Status

rich,
    could you give me a few tips/hints on my own big turbo conversion.I friend of mine is fabricating a downpipe for me.Is there any bungs/connections needed on the pipe?regards Ryan

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ryanc said:
    rich,
    could you give me a few tips/hints on my own big turbo conversion.I friend of mine is fabricating a downpipe for me.Is there any bungs/connections needed on the pipe?regards Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck! The downpipe on the S3 will be an absolute b1tch! Basically you get a cast housing fro the turbo (come with the turbo) which coems down to a stub... You start off by welding on a flexible exhaust bit on...has to be tig welded as its stainless onto cast. The buld it back to the cat from there... If you get hte IHI kit from Jabba, you need to get an oil feed pipe fabricated somewhere, and fabricate an intake (OE one just wont stay on the turbo!)... its a big job... bigger than it sounds! Also consider upgrading the intercooler as this would be a weak link in the system

Cheers

Rich

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    XXX 1.8T said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    XXX 1.8T said:
    lookin good rich,

What u getting 0 - 60

And 1/4 mile times too

cheers
    Costa...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure to be honest mate! Very hard to say. 0-60 times will not be all that great at the moment due to not being able to put the power down in first (and second in the wet!)

Once i get racelogic installed and running correctly, it will not be a problem to get sub 6 second 0-60 and 13-14 second quarter miles.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
    oh ok i thought u already had it installed, whens it going in man

cant wait want to see the results [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will hopefully get round to it in the next 2 weeks!

5th Gear

Status

All the car's in the videos look like they aren't travelling very fast RS4's included. Is it just cos the track is so large, or im used to seeing F1 cars hurtling around bends?

You were obviously shifting though as that RS4 couldnt close on ya.

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    All the car's in the videos look like they aren't travelling very fast RS4's included. Is it just cos the track is so large, or im used to seeing F1 cars hurtling around bends?

You were obviously shifting though as that RS4 couldnt close on ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

Videos are very deceptive! I would say your exiting that corner at about 50mph and then accelerating away upto the chicane... It is MUCH faster than it looks...Although i could be wrong on the speed...cant say i was looking to be hoenst! Even the in car videos I have dont look fast!

Rich

5th Gear

Status

My S3 would look like it was crawling around if thats what your beast and rs4 look like!

Prob just the video as you say, still looks good with the RS4 behind you. Were the RS4 guys shocked by your performance or did they know what to expect???

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    My S3 would look like it was crawling around if thats what your beast and rs4 look like!

Prob just the video as you say, still looks good with the RS4 behind you. Were the RS4 guys shocked by your performance or did they know what to expect???

[/ QUOTE ]

A little shocked i think! The modded ones i let by cos they were seriously quick!

Rich

3rd Gear

Status

just downloading them now

cheers for getting them hosted [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

3rd Gear

Status

that car of yours sounds pure [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif[/img] Rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Markb, i like your new record dude!

...Watching you!

Status

Hey this thread has the most views and replies in the whole life of the A3/S3 forum! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Senior

Status

And it was not started by pimp.

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    neil.c said:
    And it was not started by pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    But that's looking at 0-60 figures no doubt, but once on the move it's a very different story! My FWD 200hp A3 can outrun a 260hp+ S3 once on the move, but from a standing start it's a different story, as you really need perfect road conditions for a good start in a FWD car...unless of course like Rich you have an aftermarket traction control system. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambba, you must own a VERY fast 200bhp A3. I had an A3 1.8T with AmD software prior to my S4. The A3 was dynoed at 197bhp and 230lbft. Side by side with a stock S3, there was little difference. Against the stock S4 @ 265bhp and about 18 metric tonnes, the S4 ran away at some pace. Comparing this to a chipped (250bhp) TT, there was little in it up to 100+ mph. I cannot imagine my A3 as being nearly as fast as a chipped S3, the difference in night and day... Figures and power to weight say one thing, but the real world tells a different story.

Neutral

Status

rich the chip poll still has the most views! but only just!!

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    MarkS3 said:
    rich the chip poll still has the most views! but only just!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Im talking regular posts [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Sticky posts dont count [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

well by the time everyone has read these you will have passed it anyway!!!

Neutral

Status

just looked at the chip poll again (just to get the numbers up you understande) interesting that it has had 3200 views but only 174 votes!?

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    David R said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambba, you must own a VERY fast 200bhp A3. I had an A3 1.8T with AmD software prior to my S4. The A3 was dynoed at 197bhp and 230lbft. Side by side with a stock S3, there was little difference. Against the stock S4 @ 265bhp and about 18 metric tonnes, the S4 ran away at some pace. Comparing this to a chipped (250bhp) TT, there was little in it up to 100+ mph. I cannot imagine my A3 as being nearly as fast as a chipped S3, the difference in night and day... Figures and power to weight say one thing, but the real world tells a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, he does indeed have a quick A3 ( [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****_you.gif[/img] ) In the dry, he pulls from my chipped TQ fairly easy, and hangs with JayBeeS3's chipped S3 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Of course, his turbo has felt the abuse [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Nice one Rich, glad you finally got it all sorted. I'm sure youve probably got no fingernails left now after the arse on its been to get sorted out.

Still it's worth it in the end.

Dont think I could be arsed with the mess on doing it to my S3 though. Maybe if someone else goes through the grief and develops a proper "bolt on" kit I would consider it.

A future product of JB Performance maybe eh !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    r88per said:
    A future product of JBR Performance maybe eh !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status
    ttt
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456