Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 239
  1. #41
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    104

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    I don't think it would rich. I've deen pics of a 28rs on an a4 and it looked the same configuration as the IHI to me.

    Did 290hp 290lbft on jbs rollers today, at 1.3 bar peak, 1.15bar sustained boost. Standard cars were within 1% of manufacturers claims, so the rollers are bang on.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Well it goes up2 AmD today! Got a few hours to finish off the intake... What ive done is fabricate an intake pipe out of stainless steel and then i will modify the samco TIP to fit over this, then adapt the end to fit in the large MAF. got a fair bit of work to do before taking it up but should JUST get it done in time...it doesnt come any closer than this! Anyway,

    ROLL ON THURSDAY EVENING!

    Rich [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

  4. #43
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Forgive my ignorance but what difference does the FMIC make? Does it allow you to run a higher boost pressure or does it just keep the charge air at a lower temperature?

    What im getting at is if a put one on my S3 will it allow me to a bigger gain after a re-map?

  5. #44
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    Forgive my ignorance but what difference does the FMIC make? Does it allow you to run a higher boost pressure or does it just keep the charge air at a lower temperature?

    What im getting at is if a put one on my S3 will it allow me to a bigger gain after a re-map?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Well you can turn the boost up BECASUE of the FMIC allows you to cool the air more effectively...or it just cools down what boost you already have...either way, a good thing to have.

    Rich

  6. #45
    HTC
    HTC's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Koh Samui, Thailand
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    You won't get much more than that amount safely as you will be running at the limits of the K04 charger.

    vw/audi turbos are really small. You'd need to think about doing what rich is to get big power.

  7. #46
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    340

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    So With a FMIC and a jabba re-map could expect much more than 270 BHP and what sort of boost pressure increase could i run safely?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    You won't get much more than 270. There are safety features on the car that stop you overboosting. With the FMIC you will have more "stable" power, where as the power can be quite random at times with standard IC's. At 270bhp+ the standard injectors will be running more or less flat out. So u would need a bigger turbo and injectors to get much more power.

    I think you might get a little more torque from the FMIC, should take you 300+ with the right boost set up.

  8. #47
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Is the turbo your using an IHI VF34 Roller bearing turbo?

    If so, what else apart from the manifold do i need to fit this unit to my S3 in Jabba's kit and will they supply the manifold etc separately?

  9. #48
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    Is the turbo your using an IHI VF34 Roller bearing turbo?

    If so, what else apart from the manifold do i need to fit this unit to my S3 in Jabba's kit and will they supply the manifold etc separately?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yes it is the VF34!

    You need the turbo, manifold, oil lines (you will need to get an oil feed line made somewhere as the OE one just wont fit!) cast exhaust housing for turbo, a downpipe will need to be fabricated on the car... very costly at pretty much a full days labour!, and you will also need to link up the original intercooler plumbing. As for the intake, dont waste time trying to get the original one to fit! there is JUST no point! Buy a samco intake, chop the bottom off and make a intake pipe out of 2.5" stainless or aluminium.

    All in you would be looking at close to 5000 with the car back on the road.

    if i were doing this upgrade again, i could easily do it in 2 days with all the right parts... The hard bit is figuring it all out in the first place. Also, i could do it cheaper as i could get the right parts first time. Would not want to have to do it on an S3 tho! the transfer box at the back would seriously get in the way and make any movement near impossible.. not pleasent!

    Rich


  10. #49
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    104

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Buy the manifold. Get a turbo off the net from the US, fab up a u bend to come off the turbo, to avoid the transfer box, and then mate it to your stanard downpipe.
    Get a hydraulics place to make up som flexible oil and water lines to complete. Buy some 440cc or bigger injectors, and get it mapped.

    To be hones a lot of cash to get an extra 40-50hp over a chipped s3. Well worth it on an a3T though for the extra 100hp.

  11. #50
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    GolfTTish said:
    Buy the manifold. Get a turbo off the net from the US, fab up a u bend to come off the turbo, to avoid the transfer box, and then mate it to your stanard downpipe.
    Get a hydraulics place to make up som flexible oil and water lines to complete. Buy some 440cc or bigger injectors, and get it mapped.

    To be hones a lot of cash to get an extra 40-50hp over a chipped s3. Well worth it on an a3T though for the extra 100hp.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh i dont know... the difference may not be as much over a chipped S3, but ignoring peak values, the power will be spread alot more over the revs and WILL be a much quicker car... just not as much as the Golf/A3. The golf's and a3's will, however, still p1ss all over the S3 due to the huge weight difference... were talking near 300kg! Thats 1/3 of a ton!

    Rich

  12. #51
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Oh, sod that its too much work. I just saw the blower for 500 and thought it was a bargain.

  13. #52
    peteA3tdi's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    the rose and crown
    Posts
    406

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    GolfTTish said:
    Buy the manifold. Get a turbo off the net from the US, fab up a u bend to come off the turbo, to avoid the transfer box, and then mate it to your stanard downpipe.
    Get a hydraulics place to make up som flexible oil and water lines to complete. Buy some 440cc or bigger injectors, and get it mapped.

    To be hones a lot of cash to get an extra 40-50hp over a chipped s3. Well worth it on an a3T though for the extra 100hp.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh i dont know... the difference may not be as much over a chipped S3, but ignoring peak values, the power will be spread alot more over the revs and WILL be a much quicker car... just not as much as the Golf/A3. The golf's and a3's will, however, still p1ss all over the S3 due to the huge weight difference... were talking near 300kg! Thats 1/3 of a ton!

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    will it plss over my S3 in the rain???

  14. #53
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clearfield, PA
    Posts
    892

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    at a guess pete yes.

  15. #54
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    104

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    peteTDI said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    GolfTTish said:
    Buy the manifold. Get a turbo off the net from the US, fab up a u bend to come off the turbo, to avoid the transfer box, and then mate it to your stanard downpipe.
    Get a hydraulics place to make up som flexible oil and water lines to complete. Buy some 440cc or bigger injectors, and get it mapped.

    To be hones a lot of cash to get an extra 40-50hp over a chipped s3. Well worth it on an a3T though for the extra 100hp.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh i dont know... the difference may not be as much over a chipped S3, but ignoring peak values, the power will be spread alot more over the revs and WILL be a much quicker car... just not as much as the Golf/A3. The golf's and a3's will, however, still p1ss all over the S3 due to the huge weight difference... were talking near 300kg! Thats 1/3 of a ton!

    Rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    will it plss over my S3 in the rain???

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh yes, without a doubt. I can give full power in second in the wet no problems. From a stop i'd give you the first 2 car lengts, but after that Bye Bye.

  16. #55
    peteA3tdi's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    the rose and crown
    Posts
    406

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    and if i had the same turbo??

  17. #56
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    289

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    power to weight?

    Dunc

  18. #57
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Pete,

    To match the power to weight ratio of a 300bhp A3, you would need 375bhp... THATS the difference it makes! Also, wet wont be a problem... Mine actually has pretty good grip in the wet. Mate that with racelogic traction control its unstoppable! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

    A whole 23 hours left to go! (i hope!)... getting a bit excited now. had no phone calls from AmD today which i can only assume is a good thing!

  19. #58
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    DuncS3 said:
    power to weight, but hey, no disrespect I would still personally prefer the S3...

    Dunc

    [/ QUOTE ]

    For comfort yes, but to be honest, it would take a DAMN good s3 for me to even consider changing now... The S3 just wont be anywhere near as fun to drive when mine is done.

    Next on the cards is koni shocks and ainti roll bars front and back...

    Rich

  20. #59
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    can u post all your old bits to me in a cardboard box please, marked "for a good home" LOL

  21. #60
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Pooh! not going to get it back til tuesday or so next week. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    Oh well... few more days wont hurt too much.

    Rich

  22. #61
    imported_20VT
    Guest

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    Can't wait to hear the results [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  23. #62
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    20VT said:
    Can't wait to hear the results [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    5 more days... its absolute agony!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

  24. #63
    jojo's Avatar
    S3 Drift King!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Solihull, Midlands
    Posts
    24,845

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    20VT said:
    Can't wait to hear the results [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    5 more days... its absolute agony!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

    [/ QUOTE ]

    It will be worth it though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

  25. #64
    HTC
    HTC's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Koh Samui, Thailand
    Posts
    3,402

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    So why the extra wait. Is there a prob, or are they just busy?

  26. #65
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    HTC said:
    So why the extra wait. Is there a prob, or are they just busy?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No problems apparently... just busy!

    To be honest id rather have it done properly and wait a bit longer... its just the wait is killing me!

  27. #66
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    238

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    The wait would drive me mad mate

  28. #67
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    James M said:
    The wait would drive me mad mate

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Drive? Im bloody driven! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img] Not driven ANYHTING in 4 weeks now... i guess an exstra 5 days doesnt make much difference. Should be driving up to alton towers on wednesday... think im going to get AA cover before then tho as after such major work, id rather be safe! Should be a good test for it tho!

    Rich

  29. #68
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    310

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    not driving for four months...mate, thats gonna feel sooooooooooo quick.

    Nice one rich

  30. #69
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    Audi A3 1.8TS said:
    not driving for four months...mate, thats gonna feel sooooooooooo quick.

    Nice one rich

    [/ QUOTE ]

    4 weeks not months... but same still applies!

    Rich

  31. #70
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    AA cover? Just recovery i take it.

    I don't think they'll be able to put that right on the roadside. Be better of with plumbing insurance with all the modified pipework!

    Seriously after four weeks its gonna be bloody terrifying. I step out of 320BHP 911 C4S into a 911 Turbo and that still genuinely shocks me it is that quick.

  32. #71
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    310

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    doh...thats what i meant!

    lo

  33. #72
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    AA cover? Just recovery i take it.

    I don't think they'll be able to put that right on the roadside. Be better of with plumbing insurance with all the modified pipework!

    Seriously after four weeks its gonna be bloody terrifying. I step out of 320BHP 911 C4S into a 911 Turbo and that still genuinely shocks me it is that quick.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yeah i just nee dto be able to get home or fix it myself. Going to start carrying a toolkit with me (just the basics) so i can fix any minor problems like hoses popping off .etc.

    Im not expecting any problems, but its best to be safe.

    and yes... its gonig to be SCARY fast! 0bhp to 300+bhp!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

  34. #73
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    It will be nice not begrudging paying for petrol for a while though!

  35. #74
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    It will be nice not begrudging paying for petrol for a while though!

    [/ QUOTE ]

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  36. #75
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    104

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    I've not averaged over 20mpg since having mine fitted. Thats mixed driving. I'm sure on the motorway it'll be OK, but hooning it around uses plenty of optimax.

  37. #76
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    GolfTTish said:
    I've not averaged over 20mpg since having mine fitted. Thats mixed driving. I'm sure on the motorway it'll be OK, but hooning it around uses plenty of optimax.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    I can see my fuel bills rocketing!

  38. #77
    robthehungrymonkey's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Uckfield, Near Brighton
    Posts
    555

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    nervus said:
    Seriously after four weeks its gonna be bloody terrifying. I step out of 320BHP 911 C4S into a 911 Turbo and that still genuinely shocks me it is that quick.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    ow, that's just not fair!

  39. #78
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    238

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    I can't imagine just how quick its going to be

  40. #79
    RichA3Turbo's Avatar
    ...Watching you!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earlsfield, London
    Posts
    5,087

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    [ QUOTE ]
    James M said:
    I can't imagine just how quick its going to be

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Neither can i... its been way too long since i drove it! Im well happy tho because i just checked my car budget account it 500 better off than i thought! woohoo!

    Rich

  41. #80
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    310

    Re: Part 2 - IHI Roller bearing turbo

    in that case you should donate it to me?

    You need to support the other A3 Enthusiasts??

    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

 

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO