V8 Into A4 B5 II

Siena

Reaction score
So with my B5 A4 Quattro Sport, I proved the V8 does fit the B5 chassis, with minimal effort.

Following the success of Outlaw's new V8 heart, I have the pleasure of doing another V8-into-B5 project.
grin.gif
Oddly enough, it's another widebody, this time though, the project is different - it's the same AHC S8 32V motor as mine, but there the similarities end.

It's a front track, it's retaining the original 5-speed 012 tranny, and it's going to maintain the OEM S8's Bosch Motronic ECU and harness, which means no MAP sensor, and it'll be running the standard MAF.

The base car is a Ming Blue Pearl 1,8 T Sport. I spent the day prepping the bay for the larger block, removed the 1,8T motor. Mounts are already available for the V8 / B5 integration, it will also be running one of my flywheels, a single-mass 7,2kg unit. In my car, there is no chatter, even when loading the tranny from low speeds, in any gear.

I'll keep you guys updated via the usual write-ups and pictures, stay tuned!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Awesome!

I'll be wanting one in mine, I bet, after this one's done!

Looking forward to the updates.

damn it I would love to assist on this one but in italy, *****

The base car, B5 A4 1,8T Sport:

12092007204.jpg

12092007205.jpg

12092007203.jpg

Quite agree, a nice big fat V8 badge would be better.

Car looks good, should have the power to go with looks soon!

Those manholes in the road look a bit brutal!

Siena have you ever done a quatty conversion? good work

Side note: These are old pictures, before the current owner got his mitts on her. She looks very different now - no RS4 badges, now sporting 1-piece ecodes, and M3-style trunk lip.

The teardown began today...

Outgoing 1,8T engine:

BWmS-QBmkKGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBKrNfeM.jpg

And so the teardown continued:

Photo007.jpg

Photo009.jpg

Photo010.jpg

Photo011.jpg

Photo012.jpg

Photo013.jpg

Photo014.jpg

Little boy 1,8T:

Photo016.jpg

Big bad boy S8 32V!

Photo015.jpg

Photo017.jpg

Fancy kicking that big lump into the B5 bay?

Photo018.jpg

Photo020.jpg

Siena have you ever done a quatty conversion? good work

Thanks bud, never done a quattro conversion, cost would be prohibitive, unless on the later B6 / B7 platform, where the shells are the same, with all quattro mounting points, even on FWD.

The V8 just looks so compact and neat. Would of those fit nicely into a tdi q base car or would teh tranny and ecu / loom be too much of a mind feck?

Only issue with using any TDi as a base would be the fuel system - lines, pump and tank would need replacing.

RS4 clutch will be with us tomorrow, so will be able to mount the engine.

Happy days! :cool:

So... you're using the existing gearbox, with a higher performance clutch, with the V8 bolted straight to it?

The only custom parts that are needed are the engine mounts?

What about the exhaust, fuelling and wiring? Does it just use the standard V8 ECU and wiring harness, or does it use a modified 1.8T harness?

Lots of questions as very curious!

Same custom parts as in my car - mounts and flywheel, to allow the use of an S4 / RS4 clutch.

This car will be running the stock S8 ECU and modified harness.

So, pretty straight forward in terms of getting it running... its just the hard slog of actually getting it all in there then and looking pretty?

Is the engine significantly heavier so that it requires uprated front suspension?

It's a fair bit heavier than the 1,8T, the front of this particular B5 was quite low with the I4, it'll definitely require 2,5 TDI Eibach springs, as it'll bottom out otherwise.

Just got back after a long stint in the workshop.

And discovered the mounts I had made for my own car don't line up with the I4 set-up.

Not sure if it's due to the different subframe, the front engine support fits though. So Monday, will see if my guy can rework the existing ones, or I may need to supply him with new mock-ups based on the B5 4 cylinder.

Some pictures though...

Upper oil pan that needs to be ground off, else it fouls the subframe. I also shaved the thick webbing off, will take pictures of that later:

26092009832.jpg

Engine bolted to tranny temporarily:

26092009833.jpg

Front panel, showing area that needs to be cut out:

26092009834.jpg

Radiator test fitted:

26092009836.jpg

26092009837.jpg

26092009839.jpg

26092009840.jpg

Checking hood for clearance:

26092009838.jpg

You can bring it over here - you won't need tools either.

Someone was selling one recently, will see if it's still available.

tempting,tempting. v8 quattro b5 does sound nice. can it be a plug and play affair pretty much if you get all the bits from the donor car?

tempting,tempting. v8 quattro b5 does sound nice. can it be a plug and play affair pretty much if you get all the bits from the donor car?

Most of the parts from the donor car - mounts, flexi plate etc can't be used. The wiring harness, once all configured, can be pretty much plug and play though.

i've defo seen a s4 engine for sale this week with 65k light front end damage to the shell which is included i think, is it on here??? or ebay?
awesome work by the way lads.. your skills make me so jealous how on earth i became a builder and not a mechanic i'll never know

On the mounts, cant you use the V6 alloy brackets with the I4 subframe?

Afaik the subframes are all pretty similar, so if you got a pair of the V6 alloy brackets from a breaker, the existing mounts should fit?

Looking good though.

Looking good Siena, this is turning out to be a money spinner for you huh, lol, keep up good work.

Is that Solar Orange?

PS. Damn your finger almost looked broken in that picture, lol

That pic with the finger in freaked me out. I thought it was your right hand and you had some kind of freaky thumb! Then a friend pointed out (get it?) that it was your left hand and your 'pointy' finger... phew!

Still looks a 'bit' freaky... :faint:

i noticed something wasnt quite right with Siena's finger, 'but couldnt put my finger on it'

My B5's color is Audi Inca Orange Pearl.

My finger? Lol. I'm double jointed. :ninja: