Project B5 RS4 Sedan...

No space for the fans up front, no. I'm mounting a pair of Pace slimlines at the front.

I've looked at the engine bay this morning - the manifolds can be removed easily in situ, just as easily (if not easier) than a 1,8T.

I will be fabricating a snub-mount support too.

It's not really a snub-mount on the S8 motor, it's physically bolted to the frame.

Now you know it fits Lee, get buying!

Lee that ebay motor i linked you too went for £530 in the end....

Should have been buying it!

Not got the funds yet or I probably would've had a punt!

Been in contact with A8parts a few times.. prefer to get one from them as they seem reasonable and have service history etc with most. They do discounts on extras too if you have an engine which is good.

Another part to facilitate the S8 motor into Outlaw arrived today, in the shape of...

20032009048.jpg

20032009049.jpg

More to come...

just read this from start to finish...or at least now im waiting for the finish.

loving this mate. Kudos to you for carrying on with it for so long

Little update here:

Have just received the left-hand side mount, that bolts to the block.
This now integrates perfectly with the engine mount carrier, that bolts between the subframe and mainframe.

These are C5 A6 4,2L V8 items.

Still awaiting the front mount (it's a true bolt-on mount, as opposed to the regular snub-mount arrangement) but I can carry on without that for now.

As I previously stated, the right-hand side mount of the C5 A6 4,2L V8 could be used as well, but it's integrated with the oil filter housing, so would mean replacing the S8 oil filter housing, and at over £300 for the A6 housing alone, then add £30 for the mount carrier, not a cheap option.

So, the existing S8 set-up on this side will be custom.

Will be pulling the motor and tranny on Sunday again, fitting the left-hand mount, and re-installing.

I'll then look at fabricating the right-hand side.

Left-hand mount:

26032009058.jpg

26032009059.jpg

Left-hand mount and carrier:

26032009060.jpg

Depending on my workload - I've got two B5 S4 engine pulls to do, I'll get the harness onto the motor, when I'm satisfied with the fit, and should get the lot running in the next 3 weeks or less.

I'm glad that worked out :)

Saves some of the hassle and makes the B5 V8 conversion a little more straight forwards :)

I would imagine that the PAS pressure pipe might need to come from the A6 V8 or perhaps the S8 too, to line up with the V8's PAS pump, unless the 4/6cyl A4 pipes will fit? Have you looked at this side of the conversion yet?

The pump's in pretty much the same location as the I4, in the lower left hand corner. If it doesn't fit, I'll purchase a C5 A6 V8 item.

Just read the thread to date, excellent build mate, guttsy descision on the engine but will be worth the hassle i imagine! Car is stunning aswell mate, good luck with the rest of it.

my fingers are crossed :D

Lol, Aragorn. We're going to fight this one out - the mount didn't fit the S8 block. Grrr! :keule:

I've just checked - all C5 A6 V8's were 40V, so the block must have had a slightly different profile / lug arrangement.

So, 2 custom mounts are the order of the day! Have removed the front clip once more, will pull the engine and tranny once more - the thick webbing at the rear of the S8 sump needs to be removed, as it fouls the subframe, removing them will allow the engine to sit lower.

Front clip removed:

04042009080.jpg

Front engine support, will have an aluminium block machined, with 2 spacers within the hollow rail for the 2 bolts to run through:

04042009081.jpg

04042009086.jpg

Webbing that needs to be ground off, and smoothed to allow engine to sit lower and further back:

04042009083.jpg

Left-hand engine mount, short of the lower mount carrier, and only 2 out of 3 bolt holes line up - will be building a custom bracket for this side, as well as the right-hand one (not pictured):

04042009084.jpg

04042009082.jpg

Painted.

I'm getting another trunk, but the black section will be in genuine carbon fibre.
I'm also working on an active rear spoiler, that'll be carbon fibre too, flush with the trunk, but raised at speeds over 40mph.

Haven't done much on the engine this week, have 2 S4's that had engine pulls, one's still in bits, with another (S4 Avant) booked in for the next fortnight.

This weekend's busy too, as I have to go into London tomorrow to collect some stuff from Docurley, and drop a car off to Harrow, London on Sunday.

Everytime i see your car Siena, i think would look loads better with a private plate.

Carbon fibre active rear spoiler you say........very intersested in that!!!!!

Been a busy week, but decided to put some time into prepping the S8 engine for Outlaw.

I pulled the S8 motor, and the 6-speed tranny.
As I said, I had to grind off the thick webbing at the rear of the sump, as it was fouling the subframe.

I bolted the 6-speed tranny back on, and reinstalled the lot by hand (no room to get a hoist in). Besides, my hoist at the workshop's too large to bring home, despite the fact my workshop's only 3 minutes from my house if I walked.

The result of removing the webbing?
Well, the engine now sits lower, and more central in terms of firewall and front clip clearance, so really pleased with that.

Going to B&Q to buy some MDF and wood glue, to make the engine mount mock-ups, if I get them completed today, then I can get them made out of aluminium in the week, bolt them on, then install the wiring harness in preparation for first start-up and mapping session.

I will be doing the actuall install into Outlaw in my workshop though, with hoist and ramp.

Some pictures - note clearance between firewall and front clip:

26042009114.jpg

26042009115.jpg

26042009116.jpg

looking good :yes:, i wish my work was that close

Hi siena just gone through this post start to finish and you must be mad,,,
but where would we be to day without mad peps,,,lol
it looks great so far cant wait to see it up close and done

will this monster be ready for the audis in the park in august

Outlaw will definitely be ready for Audi's in the park.

Have completed 2 ot of 3 engine mount mock-ups.

The front engine support, as well as the passenger side mount. I got a bit tired, so will crack on with the driver's side mount in the week.

Will drop off the mock-ups tomorrow to be made out of 12,5mm thick aluminium.

Will post pictures of mock-ups shortly...

A hot day, ideal for doing some fabrication.

I got some mock-ups made for mounting the motor.
I used 12,5mm chip board, that's how thick I want them to be, when they're made out of aluminium.

I ran out of time, but at least got 2 out of 3 done - the front engine support, as well as the left-hand side mount. I'll get on with the right-hand side in the week.

I'll take them to my fabricator tomorrow, who will be constructing them out of aluminium, and then at least, I can bolt them to the block and frame, and be that much closer to my goal.

Engine front support:

26042009118.jpg

26042009119.jpg

Engine left-hand mount:

26042009120.jpg

26042009121.jpg

Thanks Mark.

I can't wait either - I've got the UrS4 Avant too, so have alternative transport while Outlaw's under the knife.

To be honest, once it's all set up in the R&D car, and running, it shouldn't take more than a weekend to just transfer the lot over.

I've got a weepy PAS rack too, I have a replacement Sport unit, but would rather wait till the engine's out before tackling replacement.

My S4's having a color change too, so my hands are pretty full.

Getting closer to my target time.

Definitely be ready for GTI International.
Hopefully within the next fortnight, I should be in the position for first start-up.

29042009129.jpg

29042009130.jpg

29042009131.jpg

29042009132.jpg

29042009133.jpg

29042009134.jpg

29042009136.jpg

Just sitting on the transmission mounts at present, I dropped the mock-ups off on Monday to be built, won't get them back till sometime next week.

Believe it or not...not a single mount I bought was of any use! They're all custom. I'm having 2 sets made, and the drawings are stored on my system, in case anyone else wants to go down the same V8 route.