Track Car Content (K04 Inside)

Reesy

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As some of you will know I recently went halves on a track car.

It's an '02 Seat Leon Cupra and came with a k03 hybrid which had been mapped by Niki at R-tech and made 275bhp.

Also had:

Walbro Fuel Pump
Greddy Turbo timer
Usual Stage 2 mods
Tints all round
5 doors (Because Racecar)
Decat and proflow backbox
18" Wheels with 3 pony tyres and 1 uniroyal

Got it for cheap as it was stuck in 1st gear and had a big dent in the rear quarter panel.

Got the car back and the issue was fixed via some jiggery pokery and spares from an s3 6 speed box.

Rear of the car is completely stripped out, need to lift the front seats to get the carpet out the way though. Centre console will be going at some point, and probably so will the A/C.

Next job was to get the hybrid off the car and go for a more reliable K03s. Hybrid was good fun, spat flames, spun up in the higher gears etc, but for a track car it wasn't the most reliable way and selling it more than halved the cost of the car.

K03s went on, and as many of you will have seen:

4039EF66-2A47-47D4-A0B0-B027B7AD8634-2964-0000027E7483B447.jpg

E8643983-A498-4FE0-A9ED-D2AD3F9B1401-2964-0000027E261CBEC6.jpg

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/170480-destroyed-turbo.html

Just before this, the nasty duel exit exhaust which made a vortexy whooshing noise that made the car sound like it was going about 300mph was chopped off, and a slashgrinder cut single pipe was fitted.

After the k03s issues, a new plan was formed.

Possibly the cheapest k03/k03s to K04 conversion ever.

So far the grand total for the k04 conversion sits at £100. And as the car is 50/50 with BENJAMIN from here, it owes me £50.

The k04 and associated bits were fitted yesterday evening, and the car is up and running..

Needs an air filter and it's pretty much good to go, but it's going to get a welly cooler and a few pipes need to be bought to go with the few that we have got between us already..

Car is going to have a stage 1 map on it, and will make between 250 and 260bhp.

Will get some exterior pics at some point and post them up.

(I know it's not technically an 8L, but it's similar and no-one looks in the general car chat!)

Last edited:
Were going to, but needed to shift the **** out the way and never got round to it.

It's already really light compared to my lard **** tqs when you are pushing it around..

Reesy:1699947 said:
Were going to, but needed to shift the **** out the way and never got round to it.

It's already really light compared to my lard **** tqs when you are pushing it around..

The best part of 250kg's lighter than an S3 or TQS as it is without stripping; when you get it on the road you might see some sense in what I have been saying for years.

With the same power it would be about 60hp/ton better off.

Good project, I look forwards to seeing it go fast. You getting Niki to map it?

The best part of 250kg's lighter than an S3 or TQS; when you get it on the road you might see some sense in what I have been saying for years.

Good project, I look forwards to seeing it go fast. You getting Niki to map it?

No, it's only getting a stage 1 k04 map. All it needs for now.

Although it had 10bhp less, in it's full fat form it wasn't as quick as my TQS.

Also, pulling away quickly with any exuberance is impossible. Also understeers a lot in the wet/damp, and a fair bit in the dry.

power to weight isnt everything.

Exactly, it does account for quite a bit but other factors have to be taken into account.

Imagine if you could get 200kgs out of a TQS or S3 :faint:

No ones really gone the whole hog from what I can remember. To be honest, the 2wd will make it more fun and hopefully it'll only eat 2 tyres instead of 4! Not going into the whole queef diff malarky so it'll be about getting the power down properly.

All mapping will be done by Dan, hoping for flat shift, launch control, flames, torque, economy and max of 260bhp. MIght even see if I can leave it with him so he can get some proper time with it..

this thread is so gay without pictures.

Props on the ko4 based fwd track car though, far better than the a3 estate!

this thread is so gay without pictures.

Props on the ko4 based fwd track car though, far better than the a3 estate!

This has the same about of doors :moa:

Budget K04 conversion ftw. Hoping that a nice safe 250ish is the way forward, rather then trying to get 240 out of a little k03s.

Might have a chat to you in the future about getting hold of some sticky tyres, seeing as you have the worlds supply of 17" A048's..

I don't think I have any pics of the Leon unfortunately.

it's a requirement at most tracks Chris, most only allow slicks with a full cage, as you're MUCH more likely to flip :p

Thanks for the offer Karlos, but I think the cost of the cage will take a while to recoup in cheap slicks. Let me know anyway and we might be able to sort something out..

Wasn't aware of that Prawn, although it makes sense..

On a non competitive track day I'd like to think the chances of rolling the car are quite slim. On the Nurburgring though.......

You could say that about 15minute slots at Combe and the guy in the fiat coupe still managed to drive into the tyres and land on the roof. Also I've heard of people at Bedford going straight up the big banks taking off at the top lol. People do some silly stuff regardless of what event they're attending.

I'm going to get a sticker made up with the protocol for coolant and oil spillages! :p

probably worth noting that the leon is nowhere near as light as the A3,

standard A3 turbo is around 1220-1240kg depending on spec, where a mk1 LCR is 1380kg, so I'd imagine the LC is 1350+.

S3's are seemingly anywhere from 1440-1480ish, and the TQ is lighter than the S3, so with full interiors in both, there's probably not a huge deal in it power:weight wise, and the badass st2 ko4 is going to have much more torque and be stronger at the top end than a little CR ko3 hybrid

Apart from the fact that the Seat is horribly basic and pretty cheap feeling inside..

I think the added weight is because Seat decided to put about 1000 screws in both the front and back bumper to hold it on. Seems to be about the only area that it has been severely over engineered!

Yea, same chassis totally JoJo, but both the mk4 golf and the Leon were mich heavier than the a3! Not sure why!

Yea, same chassis totally JoJo, but both the mk4 golf and the Leon were mich heavier than the a3! Not sure why!

Probably the extra weight of the indicators they install in VW/Seat cars :lmfao:

Both the golf and the Leon look and feel lardy compared to a3's, I suppose just because they share the same chassis doesn't mean they will weigh the same. Not too fussed really, just going to make it as light as we can. Think we're going to keep the dash though, and despite removing the headlining we still have the grab handles, sun visors and interior light in the front.

Think we're going to keep the dash though, and despite removing the headlining we still have the grab handles, sun visors and interior light in the front.

This is a very good idea.

Removing the dash instantly ruins the whole car, and makes it feel like a shed, it's properly crap in there with no dash.

I still have my interior light, ziptied to the cage, it's SOOOO annoying not having lights inside the car if you use it in the dark ever. Grab handles again a sound idea.

I had to lose my sun visors for the cage, so a huge sun strip went on instead.

This thread is useless without proper pics of a car. I know nothing of k04's and all that jizz, I just want to see pretty car pics.

This thread is useless without proper pics of a car. I know nothing of k04's and all that jizz, I just want to see pretty car pics.

It's not a particularly pretty car if I'm honest. It has gangster tints, a sunstrip, a massive dent in the rear 1/4 panel and it's grey, if that helps.

I've never understood that argument, perhaps mine doesn't have an engine at the moment, but it's a temporary state, and in that respect, it's no faster than mine RIGHT NOW, because it's probably parked up at Bens unit and not moving :laugh:

My argument is about as valid. haha

I've never understood that argument, perhaps mine doesn't have an engine at the moment, but it's a temporary state, and in that respect, it's no faster than mine RIGHT NOW, because it's probably parked up at Bens unit and not moving :laugh:

My argument is about as valid. haha

Still faster then yours. Can be out on the road in under a minute :racer: