Mk2 20vt

classy

Reaction score
Haven't been on the forum long but it's already becoming a new home with all the info about 20v lumps & stuff for sale so figured I put some pics up of my mk2 20vt
biggrin.gif

Started off as a standard 1990 mk2 8v with 2 owners & 83,000 original miles!

4 years later... It's now a AMK K04'd running mk2 golf on standard management.

Modifications/notes:

Massive pipercross air filter
N249 bypassed
Forge 007p
Badger 5 V3 TIP
Simplified breather system
Re-manu K04-023
FMIC & 2.5" piping
2.5" QPeng downpipe to Jetex SS sytem
02A CTN (Mk3 Golf diesel gearbox)
G60 lightened flywheel w/ Vr6 sachs clutch
G60 bonded transmission mount, solid front engine mount, poly insert for rear engine mount
Uprated K-jet 5bar fuel pump
General engine dressing, polished & powdercoated bits & bobs!

Kw V1 Inox line coilovers
23.8mm Ibiza cupra R master cylinder
Running Wilwood 280mm Midilite front brakes
Corrado hydro clutch system
Borbet B alloys 7.5x 16 running 205/45/16 Pirelli P-zeros

Full RAAMmat soundproofing
Audioscape speaker grills
TIM boost gauge
2 in 1 Racetech mechanical oil temp/pressure gauge

Pretty much everything's been replaced on the car from the ground up right to the full gasket re-build on the engine. Re-sprayed engine bay, wired tucked/re routed, battery, washer bottle re-located to the boot etc.

Let the pictures do the rest of the talking
icon_thumright.gif

PICT3471.jpg

PICT3473.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00084-1.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

Photo-0068.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00103-1.jpg

DSC00143.jpg
DSC00193.jpg
DSC00294.jpg
DSC00434.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

PICT4717.jpg

PICT4729.jpg

PICT4752.jpg

PICT4795.jpg

PICT4778.jpg

PICT4853.jpg

PICT4868.jpg

PICT4875.jpg

PICT4959.jpg

PICT5094.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Good to have you onboard. This has got to be one of the best 1st posts i have come across, i love the car and all the work you have put into it. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Where are you located? Hope you continue to enjoy the forum. :) x

Thanks - couldn't fit all the pictures in the first post :laugh: Located in Worcester.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0721-plateblanked.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

If you want to join the guys in local meets, click on the link below and add your name in to the section that is local to you. :) x

Smaller (Local) Events

Nice to see another MK2 owner on here bud:rockwoot: (i'm sure i've seen your car on CGTI?)

What size exhaust you running on it mate?

I have seen this in the metal. Nice car, needs som niggles fixing and it will be an awesome car.

Where have you seen it? Not been out much since it's been finished. What you have you noticed?
laugh.gif

Nice to see another MK2 owner on here bud
rockwoot.gif
(i'm sure i've seen your car on CGTI?)

What size exhaust you running on it mate?

Yeah I have the full build on CGTI, this site is more focused towards the 20v engine though & that's where the attention is at now for me.

It's 2.5, using the qpeng downpipe & jetex 2 box system (soon to modified because it keeps smacking the rear axle)

Thanks for the comments
icon_thumright.gif

Hi mate, I'm in the process of doing a mk2 1.8t conversion at the moment, amazing pictures! Looks like you have done an excellent job.

Do you have a link to your build thread?

Thanks

Cheers mate. They're`expensive but worth it! I'm having a few teething problems with intermittent lack of power at the moment but when it goes, it goes like a stabbed rat!

Full build can be found here: Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!!

Excellent cheers buddy I will read this once in back home :thumbup:

You bought it over to B5 for a smoke test, you have leaks in the PCV system IIRC

Ahh, apologies mate I didn't put the username to you :icon_thumright:

Yup, the breather systems all sorted now - Got rid of all the valves/pipes underneath & used the simple one piece pipe. I found out what the leak was from oil filter housing, the solid 90* plastic breather pipe coming out of it had split at a join from underneath. Replaced the Y piece that was all squidgy - £80 lighter for those two pipes :blink:

I'll be back down sometime next month for another smoke test just to confirm it's all leak free & potentially some logging as the car's still not running right if I don't sort it myself before hand (lazy)!

Thanks guys :icon_thumright:

Fitted a toad alarm & kill switches over the last 2 weeks so don't feel as paranoid about leaving it anywhere now. Got a suede sparco steering wheel coming, got to re-trim the headliner this weekend & on the hunt for some decent bucket seats & a serious car detailer.

Been looking at companies like detail my ride & autodetox if anyone has any recommendations on service, quality of work etc..?

Little update. Haven't really done much on it for a while due to the weather (cold)! & generally just enjoying driving it!

Got 1 seat fitted after having to modify all the subframes for it to suit & fit so I'm comfortable. Installed the harness & the wheel in also.

Started the headliner, it's pretty much almost finished just needs to be re-trimmed. Needed alot of fibreglassing as it was F*c*ed.

Also now have it booked in for a 3 day paint restoration with detail my ride, probably going to have the bonnet carbon wrapped to just for something a little different B)

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

Nice work there. Coming along very nicely. Always had a soft spot for MK2's.

Keep up the good work.

Looking good buddy, I'm so far behind you motivates me though :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments chaps, keeps me motivated to get her finished. So close - especially hard in the winter months! Still haven't found a replacement headliner & I'm desperate to have it mapped though recently the car has gone completely to the back of the priority list so not sure when it'll get done now :crying:

Had it detailed recently from the boys at 'Detailmyride' 18 hours worth of a machine polishing alone so I was told, came out looking immaculate.

Here some pictures shot with their Dslr cam:

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

Love the car mate looks spot on nices work been done there

Pretty sure you know my thoughts on this mate... ;-)

Great to see it all together and lookin fantastic!

Absolutely mint!

If your looking to sell it drop me a pm, its just what im looking for!

Ryan

Thanks for the comments guys.

Gave her a good wash & wax today, first time since the detail - came up just as good as she left the place so really happy about that (& how easy it was!)

Sourced another headliner last weekend & finished off repairing it today, will be re-trimming it next weekend hopefully. I messed the last one up by getting to excited with the fibreglass & repairing the material side so there would have been bumps in the material!

Took off the original woeful soundproofing on the roof. I've been driving around for a few weeks with no headliner & having temporaily fit the one I got last weekend to drive home - it's amazing how much of a difference it makes being in there to quietening down the car & making the music sound better. Keeping that in mind, the remaining RAAMmat I have left over from the rest of the car & the closed cell foam will now be making it's way on to the roof for more quiet :)

Also popped the resistor in for the n80 - charcoal canister purge valve as it was the only thing making the engine management light stay on so once I've erased the codes I should be EML Free!

Should have some pictures next week - Spent the last two hours looking for my vagcom cable that had managed to make it's way under my mrs bed 9 miles away!?

...Spent the last two hours looking for my vagcom cable that had managed to make it's way under my mrs bed 9 miles away!?

As good as VCDS is it won't be able to diagnose faults in women mate... thats something not even god can do ;P

Love the car... there is a bit of a Mk2 Golf theme at Badger 5 at the moment lol... currently have 3 in for various bits of work... I love my little 1.3 Mk2... bring her up on a weekend next time so I can have a look :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

As good as VCDS is it won't be able to diagnose faults in women mate... thats something not even god can do ;P

Love the car... there is a bit of a Mk2 Golf theme at Badger 5 at the moment lol... currently have 3 in for various bits of work... I love my little 1.3 Mk2... bring her up on a weekend next time so I can have a look :thumbsup:

<tuffty/>

Never a truer word spoken ha! Literally turned my house & garage up side down thinking I'd lost it.

I need to get it back in again soon... Confirm it's all leak free after getting smoked out last time & look at booking a map & sort out the long overdue niggles..

You guys open on a saturday?

Never a truer word spoken ha! Literally turned my house & garage up side down thinking I'd lost it.

I need to get it back in again soon... Confirm it's all leak free after getting smoked out last time & look at booking a map & sort out the long overdue niggles..

You guys open on a saturday?

Yep... :)

<tuffty/>

Car's back off the road again now :(

I've had an underlying boost fault that I never realised was actually a fault until a month or so ago. Long story short, I had mixed up n249 plug with n75 plug & had being essentially running around in the car with the n75 disconnected as it was plugged into a bypassed n249.

The reason I never really suspected anything is because it was just slow to build boost, 1.5bar around 4-4.5k (though I've never driven another 20v to of known!). When I realised my mistake & plugged the plugs back into their correct sensors, the car was mental to drive. Boost spiked at 2.0bar++ at around 2.5/3k & pulled 1.5bar to redline - was a weapon to drive that once but very obviously over-boosting.

Further investigation & understanding, was disconnecting n75 valve, the turbo should run on actuator pressure (6psi, 0.5bar) this evidently wasn't the case as I'd been using the car for months with it disconnected & it was running 0.5 bar to 4.5k, then hitting 1.5bar & maintaining to redline. More faffing & advice from Bill @ B5 revealed the turbo that I'd purchased from Midland turbo was manufactured faulty. B5 had a Chinese copy K04 in recently with similar symptoms to what I described. B5's investigation lead to finding the wastegate port hole was actually TO SMALL. It being to small, means there isn't a big enough hole to allow the air to escape through the wastegate & relieve the boost to 6psi / 0.5 bar.

When I removed the turbo last weekend to check, I measured up the hole & inspected, called Midland turbo & had them compare. The turbo they had sold me had a 5mm diameter smaller port hole than was actually specified! My turbo measuring at 21mm, rather than 25/26mm. My turbos LIMP MODE was 1.5bar instead of 0.5bar! They also admitted using a chinese hot side, as gen hot sides are very difficult to source.

Got the turbo back Monday & I'm amazed at the difference in sizes.

IMG_0900_zps4c940e4f.jpg

IMG_0908_zps84218057.jpg

IMG_0913_zps1b8d6634.jpg

New:

IMG_0940_zps38760240.jpg

IMG_0947_zpse230fe98.jpg

IMG_0957_zps1da5613d.jpg

& How the car looks at the moment:

IMG_0897_zps70658445.jpg

IMG_0898_zps2e31e64d.jpg

Going to order some valve stem seals this week, I'll put those in when re-fitting the turbo. Hopefully will cure the excessive oil burning on cold startup after it's been sat a while. If the stems are worn, I'll buy some rods & do those at the same time later on in the year when funds are available. I will get this car mapped eventually!

Well done finding the fault dude.
Its pretty awfil they have the audacity to use Chinese copy parts in their turbo builds.
Is the replacenent genuine or just had the bore size fixed?

Car still looks stunning.