Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By classy

Thread: Mk2 20vt

Neutral

Status

Mk2 20vt

Haven't been on the forum long but it's already becoming a new home with all the info about 20v lumps & stuff for sale so figured I put some pics up of my mk2 20vt

Started off as a standard 1990 mk2 8v with 2 owners & 83,000 original miles!

4 years later... It's now a AMK K04'd running mk2 golf on standard management.

Modifications/notes:

Massive pipercross air filter
    N249 bypassed
    Forge 007p
    Badger 5 V3 TIP
    Simplified breather system
    Re-manu K04-023
    FMIC & 2.5" piping
    2.5" QPeng downpipe to Jetex SS sytem
    02A CTN (Mk3 Golf diesel gearbox)
    G60 lightened flywheel w/ Vr6 sachs clutch
    G60 bonded transmission mount, solid front engine mount, poly insert for rear engine mount
    Uprated K-jet 5bar fuel pump
    General engine dressing, polished & powdercoated bits & bobs!

Kw V1 Inox line coilovers
    23.8mm Ibiza cupra R master cylinder
    Running Wilwood 280mm Midilite front brakes
    Corrado hydro clutch system
    Borbet B alloys 7.5x 16 running 205/45/16 Pirelli P-zeros

Full RAAMmat soundproofing
    Audioscape speaker grills
    TIM boost gauge
    2 in 1 Racetech mechanical oil temp/pressure gauge

Pretty much everything's been replaced on the car from the ground up right to the full gasket re-build on the engine. Re-sprayed engine bay, wired tucked/re routed, battery, washer bottle re-located to the boot etc.

Let the pictures do the rest of the talking

Sandra likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Hi, welcome to audi-sport.net. Good to have you onboard. This has got to be one of the best 1st posts i have come across, i love the car and all the work you have put into it. Thanks for sharing it with us all. Where are you located? Hope you continue to enjoy the forum. x
    Smaller (Local) Events
    Audi-Sport.net online magazine.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks - couldn't fit all the pictures in the first post Located in Worcester.

Status
    ​fantastic. x
    Smaller (Local) Events

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I have seen this in the metal. Nice car, needs som niggles fixing and it will be an awesome car.

Status
    If you want to join the guys in local meets, click on the link below and add your name in to the section that is local to you. x

Smaller (Local) Events
    Smaller (Local) Events

4th Gear

Status
    Nice to see another MK2 owner on here bud (i'm sure i've seen your car on CGTI?)

What size exhaust you running on it mate?
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow ruffrida On Twitter Visit ruffrida's Youtube Channel
    Nice motor fella, look well
    B6 1.9tdi Quattro Avant Sport,
    Full zenon bulb kit, Plug and Play chip @165bhp, EGR Delete pipe, Chrome Mirrors, Chrome side repeaters, wind deflectors, Front center arm rest, LED number plate bulbs (when they work), Rear tints, De-Badge Rear, 19" BBS LM's,De-Wiper
    Coming soon -35mm Springs, De-cat pipe.
    Wish List; FMIC, BV43 turbo, Bigger Remap, Fat Clutch, Stereo upgrade, Full Stainless with twin exit !
    Chuck it in & pin it out, nothing better than doing it in the dirt !!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    I have seen this in the metal. Nice car, needs som niggles fixing and it will be an awesome car.
    Where have you seen it? Not been out much since it's been finished. What you have you noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post
    Nice to see another MK2 owner on here bud (i'm sure i've seen your car on CGTI?)

What size exhaust you running on it mate?
    Yeah I have the full build on CGTI, this site is more focused towards the 20v engine though & that's where the attention is at now for me.

It's 2.5, using the qpeng downpipe & jetex 2 box system (soon to modified because it keeps smacking the rear axle)

Thanks for the comments

Neutral

Status

Re: Mk2 20vt

Hi mate, I'm in the process of doing a mk2 1.8t conversion at the moment, amazing pictures! Looks like you have done an excellent job.

Do you have a link to your build thread?

Thanks

Neutral

Status
    Cheers mate. They're`expensive but worth it! I'm having a few teething problems with intermittent lack of power at the moment but when it goes, it goes like a stabbed rat!

Full build can be found here: Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!!

Neutral

Status

Excellent cheers buddy I will read this once in back home :thumbup:

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by classy View Post
    Where have you seen it? Not been out much since it's been finished. What you have you noticed?

You bought it over to B5 for a smoke test, you have leaks in the PCV system IIRC

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    You bought it over to B5 for a smoke test, you have leaks in the PCV system IIRC
    Ahh, apologies mate I didn't put the username to you

Yup, the breather systems all sorted now - Got rid of all the valves/pipes underneath & used the simple one piece pipe. I found out what the leak was from oil filter housing, the solid 90* plastic breather pipe coming out of it had split at a join from underneath. Replaced the Y piece that was all squidgy - £80 lighter for those two pipes

I'll be back down sometime next month for another smoke test just to confirm it's all leak free & potentially some logging as the car's still not running right if I don't sort it myself before hand (lazy)!

Neutral

Status
    Strong work!

Reverse Gear

Status
    What a beautiful design that you have there.
    See that you had al lot of detail work!

One HUg From Portugal!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks guys

Fitted a toad alarm & kill switches over the last 2 weeks so don't feel as paranoid about leaving it anywhere now. Got a suede sparco steering wheel coming, got to re-trim the headliner this weekend & on the hunt for some decent bucket seats & a serious car detailer.

Been looking at companies like detail my ride & autodetox if anyone has any recommendations on service, quality of work etc..?

Neutral

Status
    Little update. Haven't really done much on it for a while due to the weather (cold)! & generally just enjoying driving it!

Got 1 seat fitted after having to modify all the subframes for it to suit & fit so I'm comfortable. Installed the harness & the wheel in also.

Started the headliner, it's pretty much almost finished just needs to be re-trimmed. Needed alot of fibreglassing as it was F*c*ed.

Also now have it booked in for a 3 day paint restoration with detail my ride, probably going to have the bonnet carbon wrapped to just for something a little different B)

1st Gear

Status
    Nice work there. Coming along very nicely. Always had a soft spot for MK2's.

Keep up the good work.

Neutral

Status

Looking good buddy, I'm so far behind you motivates me though :thumbup:

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    What a bloody lovey looking car!!!

nice work mate.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the comments chaps, keeps me motivated to get her finished. So close - especially hard in the winter months! Still haven't found a replacement headliner & I'm desperate to have it mapped though recently the car has gone completely to the back of the priority list so not sure when it'll get done now

Had it detailed recently from the boys at 'Detailmyride' 18 hours worth of a machine polishing alone so I was told, came out looking immaculate.

Here some pictures shot with their Dslr cam:

1st Gear

Status

Mk2 20vt

That is one sexy car!

1st Gear

Status
    Love the car mate looks spot on nices work been done there

MUSH Developments Ltd.

Status
    Pretty sure you know my thoughts on this mate... ;-)

Great to see it all together and lookin fantastic!
    Audi S3 1.9 GT30....

....that is all

1st Gear

Status
    Love the Mk1 & Mk2 Golfs. Great work :-)

Drive It Like You Stole It

Status
    Absolutely mint!

If your looking to sell it drop me a pm, its just what im looking for!

Ryan
    Milltek non-resonated cat-back - 15mm MTM spacers - Toyo T1R's all round - RS4 Pedals+foot rest - Blackout model front grilles - Custom black front badge - de-badged boot - R8 oil cap - silver indicator bulbs - Dodo Juice supernatural wax - ECS tuning Porsche cayenne brake kit ready to fit or sell?...

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Gave her a good wash & wax today, first time since the detail - came up just as good as she left the place so really happy about that (& how easy it was!)

Sourced another headliner last weekend & finished off repairing it today, will be re-trimming it next weekend hopefully. I messed the last one up by getting to excited with the fibreglass & repairing the material side so there would have been bumps in the material!

Took off the original woeful soundproofing on the roof. I've been driving around for a few weeks with no headliner & having temporaily fit the one I got last weekend to drive home - it's amazing how much of a difference it makes being in there to quietening down the car & making the music sound better. Keeping that in mind, the remaining RAAMmat I have left over from the rest of the car & the closed cell foam will now be making it's way on to the roof for more quiet

Also popped the resistor in for the n80 - charcoal canister purge valve as it was the only thing making the engine management light stay on so once I've erased the codes I should be EML Free!

Should have some pictures next week - Spent the last two hours looking for my vagcom cable that had managed to make it's way under my mrs bed 9 miles away!?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ...Spent the last two hours looking for my vagcom cable that had managed to make it's way under my mrs bed 9 miles away!?
    As good as VCDS is it won't be able to diagnose faults in women mate... thats something not even god can do ;P

Love the car... there is a bit of a Mk2 Golf theme at Badger 5 at the moment lol... currently have 3 in for various bits of work... I love my little 1.3 Mk2... bring her up on a weekend next time so I can have a look

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    As good as VCDS is it won't be able to diagnose faults in women mate... thats something not even god can do ;P

Love the car... there is a bit of a Mk2 Golf theme at Badger 5 at the moment lol... currently have 3 in for various bits of work... I love my little 1.3 Mk2... bring her up on a weekend next time so I can have a look

<tuffty/>
    Never a truer word spoken ha! Literally turned my house & garage up side down thinking I'd lost it.

I need to get it back in again soon... Confirm it's all leak free after getting smoked out last time & look at booking a map & sort out the long overdue niggles..

You guys open on a saturday?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Never a truer word spoken ha! Literally turned my house & garage up side down thinking I'd lost it.

I need to get it back in again soon... Confirm it's all leak free after getting smoked out last time & look at booking a map & sort out the long overdue niggles..

You guys open on a saturday?
    Yep...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Car's back off the road again now

I've had an underlying boost fault that I never realised was actually a fault until a month or so ago. Long story short, I had mixed up n249 plug with n75 plug & had being essentially running around in the car with the n75 disconnected as it was plugged into a bypassed n249.

The reason I never really suspected anything is because it was just slow to build boost, 1.5bar around 4-4.5k (though I've never driven another 20v to of known!). When I realised my mistake & plugged the plugs back into their correct sensors, the car was mental to drive. Boost spiked at 2.0bar++ at around 2.5/3k & pulled 1.5bar to redline - was a weapon to drive that once but very obviously over-boosting.

Further investigation & understanding, was disconnecting n75 valve, the turbo should run on actuator pressure (6psi, 0.5bar) this evidently wasn't the case as I'd been using the car for months with it disconnected & it was running 0.5 bar to 4.5k, then hitting 1.5bar & maintaining to redline. More faffing & advice from Bill @ B5 revealed the turbo that I'd purchased from Midland turbo was manufactured faulty. B5 had a Chinese copy K04 in recently with similar symptoms to what I described. B5's investigation lead to finding the wastegate port hole was actually TO SMALL. It being to small, means there isn't a big enough hole to allow the air to escape through the wastegate & relieve the boost to 6psi / 0.5 bar.

When I removed the turbo last weekend to check, I measured up the hole & inspected, called Midland turbo & had them compare. The turbo they had sold me had a 5mm diameter smaller port hole than was actually specified! My turbo measuring at 21mm, rather than 25/26mm. My turbos LIMP MODE was 1.5bar instead of 0.5bar! They also admitted using a chinese hot side, as gen hot sides are very difficult to source.

Got the turbo back Monday & I'm amazed at the difference in sizes.

New:

& How the car looks at the moment:

Going to order some valve stem seals this week, I'll put those in when re-fitting the turbo. Hopefully will cure the excessive oil burning on cold startup after it's been sat a while. If the stems are worn, I'll buy some rods & do those at the same time later on in the year when funds are available. I will get this car mapped eventually!

Neutral

Status

Well done finding the fault dude.
    Its pretty awfil they have the audacity to use Chinese copy parts in their turbo builds.
    Is the replacenent genuine or just had the bore size fixed?

Car still looks stunning.

Neutral

Status