**TTRS** Project 750hp

And your profile name is poverty??
Like it!

Reactions: BradHatton
You'd be in poverty if you bought a ttrs and tuned it to 750bhp! Haha

Really liking your work.

Thanks lads!

Should have an update in the next week or two!

woah what do you do for a living!! I wish I could do all this to my s3.. Great work pal!!

Fantastic. I would love to go down the serious tuning route with my 2.0 TFSi A4. Money and missus stops that at the mo. I am currently on a (contentious) Stage 1 REVO map. I would like to get this off and get a custom map, turbo back system, carbonio or the likes intake. Will see what i can sneak in....

Fantastic car by the way and that exhaust looks superb. The welding is like a piece of serious art work. Good luck with hitting the 750hp target.

Unbelievable, hope the build goes well Pov, it will be astonishing!

Right, engines done this week, then moving onto the next stage of refitting it back inside the car and running it in.

Ive also made some extra progress on the weight saving. These recaros are 13kg with sidemounts and runners. The OEM seats are about 34kg, so a saving of 21kg per seat.

The titanium exhaust saves 26kg over OEM.

So thats a 68kg saving so far. I have a few more weight saving ideas in my head, so should be able to reduce the weight by about 100kg over stock. Will make the car weigh roughly 1360kg with a quarter tank.

E31D0326-C2E5-43AE-82AF-C94A3E916C72-4538-000003617C47FD41.jpg

Engines all done and finished. Also had some parts superfinished, never got any pics of it, so I'll borrow this pic of my friend jonny so people can see what it looks like. Nice and shiny!

Now the next step, fitting the turbo kit. Not long now till first fire up!

crankconnectingrod.png

Engine Spec:-

Full race engine build
Balanced and blueprinted
Superfinished crankshaft
Gasflowed race spec cylinder head with valve seat modifications
Bore block
I-beam Rods
Custom oversized pistons, high temp low friction coating
Full Ferrea valvetrain
ARP bolts

Wow great read, loving the spec and figures your build will produce

Dunno where Wayne has gone? Was looking forward to seeing this hitting the 750bhp magical figure.

What's going on Wayne, give us an update; you can't tempt us with all this and then go all quiet on us, where are you at? Still blueprinting engine?????

Reactions: ruffrida
haha you are mixing me up with my good mate wayne, warren! Hes moved on to porsche turbos now!

The engine is done, and its now at APR for the next stage, ie turbo kit.

The ultimate 750hp figure is a while off yet, its going to be a journey building up to that. Will be starting with a gtx3071 then increasing the size of the turbo in stages till I end up with the power delivery which Im after. So who knows, I might stop at 700hp, if the power curve is one of beauty, ie power everywhere, not peaky and good response. Dont want to ultimately end up chasing numbers, but am confident the final number will start with a 7, but I dont think that will happen till next year.

haha you are mixing me up with my good mate wayne, warren! Hes moved on to porsche turbos now!

The engine is done, and its now at APR for the next stage, ie turbo kit.

The ultimate 750hp figure is a while off yet, its going to be a journey building up to that. Will be starting with a gtx3071 then increasing the size of the turbo in stages till I end up with the power delivery which Im after. So who knows, I might stop at 700hp, if the power curve is one of beauty, ie power everywhere, not peaky and good response. Dont want to ultimately end up chasing numbers, but am confident the final number will start with a 7, but I dont think that will happen till next year.

Increasing turbos in stages!!! I'm guessing that was there suggestion lol. Are they trying to milk you dry? Sounds like there trying to make your user name a reality! I think you have to be prepared to give up some grunt down low to make power that starts with a 7, it certainly won't feel like stock response thats for sure. If it were me I would spec the turbo to make the numbers and run it in on lower boost and creep the boost up in stages, if they've ported that head properly I think you will be pleasantly suprised at how well it will spool a large frame Garrett.

Looking good though mate, keep the updates coming. We need more pictures :icon_thumright:

Reactions: Alex jb
A gtx35 we know for sure will make seven hundreds. The key here is to make the system as efficient as possible. Don't want the turbo bigger than it needs to be. Because the project is being handled by APR on the turbo kit front, and they have several development cars, I won't have to try every single turbo myself. The APR development process involves them trying a few different turbos, which should give me a rough indication of what turbo I need, at which point I'll spec one out with every option from owens or similar

Reactions: Alex jb
**update**

Next immediate step right now is strengthning the gearbox.

So its being split open, and the gears will be superfinished.

The end results will look like this:

6711638395_1b6394c56d_z.jpg

Whilst Im happy to doff my cap at your valiant efforts, I can't help but think you could easily have had a top spec R8 with what you have spent on the car and mods so far.

Or even something like a 911 turbo. You must be totally passionate about the whole project but I know which I would choose.

Also the Market for a car in this state of tune come sale time must be limited, and you must surely realise you will never recoup any cost on this project?

Good luck and enjoy!

Whilst Im happy to doff my cap at your valiant efforts, I can't help but think you could easily have had a top spec R8 with what you have spent on the car and mods so far.

Or even something like a 911 turbo. You must be totally passionate about the whole project but I know which I would choose.

Also the Market for a car in this state of tune come sale time must be limited, and you must surely realise you will never recoup any cost on this project?

Good luck and enjoy!

This ones easy for me to answer and something I get asked alot for obvious reasons!

1. From when I was a little boy I had always wanted a 5 cylinder turbo audi.
2. I have always wanted to do one big project in my lifetime
3. Yes I could have bought a r8 v10/911 turbo, but I would only be doing the same to those cars. Need to draw a line somewhere
4. I dont intend on ever selling this car due to the money I shall never recoup.

I did actually draw up a build plan for a r8 v10 just for fun the other day, would be cool if someone built a 5.2 v10 properly, and without ruining the car with a big boost application imo. Id just have a mental NA build. But thats just a dream.

Fair enough. I know what you mean about the 5 cylinder turbo motors though, they even beat the v8 soundtrack for me.

Always had a thing for the RS2 myself.....one day!

Good luck.

lol, where do they pluck the term 'isotropic' from in this case.

Thats what I was going to ask so me being me did a little digging and here's why its best to Isotropic finish the gearbox.

Isotropic Superfinishing increases horsepower by reducing friction in the engine, gearbox and drive train components. Testing has shown this process increases the functional life of motor and gearbox components by an amazing 300%!​
Isotropic Superfinishing is not a coating, polish, oil treatment or additive of any sort. This technology is dyno tested and track proven. It gives the added advantage every competitor is looking for. It is effective on all metal components involved in the production and delivery of horsepower.​
Manufacturing cannot make a perfectly smooth surface. All new surfaces, even when coated, have surface asperities (micro peaks). When metal cutting begins, these asperities are producing friction and affecting the life and performance of the product. In a closed system, as metal components mate and shear, every component in the oil/coolant stream is exposed to these particles carried in the lubricating fluid.
Isotropic Superfinishing creates a surface with low surface roughness (skew). Bearing properties improve, heat from friction is reduced and engine/gearbox life is extended. Most importantly, performance is improved!

The superfinishing should make things drive smoother, whether I will notice or not while driving, I do not know. I'll drive mine and the roadster back to back to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Superfinishing is used extensively in F1, was banned at one point for being too advanced and costly, but its pretty cheap to do now.

Sexy or what?

Ext wastegate, v-band manifold. Ooft!!

apr-manifold.jpg

Very Sexy!

Just read this thread. Excellent work on the project so far. Looking forward to the finished article.

hi pal,amazing build but i have one question?
what do you do for a job as i really need to get on there so i can live the dream like u lol!!

hi pal,amazing build but i have one question?
what do you do for a job as i really need to get on there so i can live the dream like u lol!!

Haha

Looks like a great build, good luck with it chap