audi a4 A pillar triple pod mount.

boost-addict

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Website
t.me
firstly sorry if im in the wrong section but here goes

so not wanting to pay £80+ on a 3 pod mount from psi or apr i set out to make my own
when reading along please bear in mind this will be wrapped or end up having the same fabric matching the interior,so looks arnt important, as long as the surface is smooth and transition cleanly to the trim its self. i haven't looked for the correct material, but thinking of buying a roof lining and using the fabric from that,
this is on a a4 1999. b5.5 but can be done for any car really.

any how
bits i used/needed
universal 3 pod a pillar mount was £13
resin kit and mesh was £10, although i then found my big tin of resin and hardner!
filler i had laying about but roughly £6 a tin
sand paper, again i had this laying about buy roughly £3 for 5 sheets
fabric, well not sure, but you could say the price of the roof lining from same car with same colour trim
so roughly £32 excluding fabric or wrap/plasticoat spray paint

starting with the a pillar its self, taken the fabric off, and cut down both sides to trim it up to the width of the a pillar trim

P1070238.jpg

then (not pictured) went to the car and positioned the pods were i wanted them
then i screwed it to the a pillar trim and went back out to the car to make sure its defently were i wanted it, also put my new oil pressure gauge and my old boost gauge in to show how itll look

P1070250.jpg

P1070240.jpg

P1070242.jpg

so then set about using mesh to reinforce the side, did the other side but forgot to photo

P1070251.jpg

then using resin and matting and the mesh fixed that up. little sand down to give the filler some thing to grab. im crap at resining but the screws are to be left in so this is only to reinforce the joint so the filler dosnt crack.

P1070254.jpg

then on with filler, again im no artist so although it looks crap, its isopon easy sand so im not fussed
P1070255.jpg

P1070256.jpg

P1070258.jpg

P1070257.jpg

so thats it for the moment. want the resin and filler to cure fully so ill leave it a few hours. then sand down and see what we have,

Quick question and dont mean to put a dampener on this build, but..........doesnt that restrict your viewing area and make a huge blind spot from anything coming from the right??

Quick question and dont mean to put a dampener on this build, but..........doesnt that restrict your viewing area and make a huge blind spot from anything coming from the right??
No not dampning any thing i was waiting for some feedback etc but it doesn't too much and I guess as its the nearest pillar to me I don't think it will. It measures 3 " out from the a pillar so nothing major. If such time comes the police mot guy says it illegal then I'll remove and rethink
ive actually stripped back the filler because the hight of the screws was forcing me to use to much filler and caused problems were the pods curve round. So I've removed the screws and it holds tight. So when I get home I'll update the pics and then re skim with filler to feather both ends on to the a pillar. I remounted it in to the car and I'm still pleased with the angle and position of the pods.

With other pods ie in scoobys etc they have the pods up the side don't they?

a lot of people run 3 pod A pillars. a lot of companies sell them so kudos for making your own! i love creative threads like these!!!

It measures 3 " out from the a pillar so nothing major. If such time comes the police mot guy says it illegal then I'll remove and rethink

Funny in the photo it looks a lot further then 3" hence the question, must be the angle etc. Nice to see some personal touches during builds. Keep up the good work, and pics :)

yer, well got it finnished and was out and about eairler and had it installed. looks good, and dosnt restrict my view much at all.

even the top pod is just above eye level so im happy, any how that filler i put on i accedently put to much hardner and p38 easy sand turnt in to concrete lol, still only way to learn, so an hour later with a power tool got most of it off back to plastic and the resin before, so with the right amount this time! two layer later, lots of sanding ive ended up with this, which with one last little touch up of filler were the resin has broken out of the mesh in one small spot and two places were the filler has a small nick in the surface is actualy good to be painted,
i may even try to get the colour matched to the fabric or just spray it matte black and then once i have the correct fabric hand it over to a trimmer to do it properly as i know its something ill mess up!

P1070267.jpg

P1070265.jpg

P1070262.jpg
if i get time tomorrow ill get some filler primer for plastic and give it its first coats and build up a nice 4/5 thin layers. rub back with the finest wet and dry and then few coats of matte black, unless i can get a grey thats nearly the same. not sure yet

well just put some plastic primer on, three coats wet on wet, then going to rub down a little and spray with filler primer, main problem i have is ive missed 2 little areas were theres remains of the fabric, almost looks like carpet tufts

so ill wait for the paint to harden and hopefully the paint will allow me to rub down the material left behind, also the paint has highlighted a few little dimples i missed so will fill were ever is needed and give another coat