My A3 "Matilda" Progress - Oil Burner

glasgowal

Reaction score
First got her about a year ago and she looked like this.

Standard 04 2.0 TDI 140 S-Line in 'Ebony Schwarz' black! Loved the DSG and comfort the Audi gave over my EP3 Type R. Just wasn't quick enough plus that double grille had to go!

In chronological order:

1stday.jpg

1stdayhome.jpg

1stdayint.jpg

Back end was a bit plain so got this bad boy:

s3rear.jpg

And Some of these:

backlights.jpg

The back end was de-badged, de wipered and added some of these:

blackrings.jpg

It was finished (the back end at least)

s3rearprog.jpg

blackringfit.jpg

rearlights.jpg

Also that front bumper had to go to make way for the one piece. Bought it for a very reasonable price from a man down south, he also sold me a very cheap turbo that I could use as spare:

frontend.jpg

It came up to my birthday so i got this:

milltekbox.jpg

a37.jpg

Headed down south for a group remap for a very cheap rate with audi-sport. Took a while for the ECU to adjust but was an incredible difference. Gotta love the oil burners for untapped potential!

So a few months down the line had some money and time then my friend linked me to this on eBay:

FMICpack.jpg

Fitted it:

a38.jpg

FMICfit1.jpg

Got the modding bug again, doubled up by my friend nagging me about what else i could do so you know that spare turbo? Sent it down to CR Turbo Engineering who said that they could Stage 2 the turbo. Got it back today!! Here it is:

box.jpg

garret.jpg

garret2.jpg

Even my cat loved it:

boxcat.jpg

That's it so far! Next after bankrupting myself I must save for a remap :) Hoping for about 250bhp 400ft-lbs of torque. I've been warned the DSG will struggle so looking for a custom map so I can get it limited in 1st and 2nd gear. But i've yet to phone Awesome to find out what my best option is.

Ways away in the future I shall get coilies (since i'm going to be a student as of the end of next month) For low and fast :D

Looking for some help to fit the turbo, anyone done it before? Any info would be appreciated!

Much love.

looks great pal! not sure if it is but if thats your address on the milltek box it might not be the best idea to have that photo on here

Glad you enjoyed having the remap mate, im sorry i didn't get to meet you but i had to shoot off at dinner time to set up for my engagement party.

Cars looking good, i like what youve done with it.

UPDATES!!!!

Glad you enjoyed having the remap mate, im sorry i didn't get to meet you but i had to shoot off at dinner time to set up for my engagement party.

Cars looking good, i like what youve done with it.

UPDATES!!!!

No worries dude! Stilll got a very reasonable remap :p

not messing about are we :),, looking frward to updates on this

Turbo is going in tomorrow!! :D

Next on the list is a remap and a couple of other things :)

Got this from the bay earlier this week

a3gcf.jpg

Also had my turbo installed. Since i've not had it mapped it's just laggier... But we'll see how she fairs with a good map coming soon hopefully! :)

Just had it mapped by Simon at Sitech Racing, cannot commend him enough. Amazing guy with more know how than God.

Booked in for 3, on the rollers and set up for 10 past 3.

Explains whats going to happen. Runs it on the rollers, take a few attempts as he has never done a DSG box before. But we get the car up and get a reading.

198.0bhp@4,057rpm at the fly. Respectable considering the turbo and FMIC hadn't been mapped on. Just the Milltek TDE.

So then off the map was sent to DNA Tuning.

Back it came, uploaded to the car and ran again.

SCAN0001.jpg

Not bad! Respectable 240.8bhp@4163rpm

Not only had he mapped my car for me but cleaned out my throttle body and drilled and plugged my inlet manifold for a boost gauge so he could get a boost reading! He had to drill as there is no external pressure reading. All VAG diesels are apparently vacuum read and the ECU calculates the boost. Now all I need to do is to get a boost gauge, pod and fit one :) Running 27psi. Asked 'His guy' at DNA tuning if I could go higher and was advised against it if i was happy which I was, so I was on my merry way. And boy does my car pull!

SCAN0002.jpg

All the while he was telling me what was going on and to have a look around the unit. Simon was a quality guy! Couldn't recommend him enough!

For a diesel that must fly! well done.

bet you cant stop driving it now

Yeah tis a joy :D The look on some peoples faces :D

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
have you got the part number fort that rear bumper part ?

that is the best audi a3, which was ever produced by audi! and your car looks really nice!

As already asked, what is that rear valance, where did you buy it from, how much and is it a straight swap/fit?

Looking really good - Im always impressed at how modern and updated you can make these cars look.
Choice mods also - I need to get my turbo sorted out next!

Same spec looks wise as my 2006 model, without the Ronal 5 spokes (although they are on my list for next year).

I thought that new bumper was from the facelift 8P and would need cutting to fit, did it just bolt right on??