ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
sale.jpg

History:=-

Bought the car back in July of 2010 from my Grandad. He bought the car in 1999 from the dealers, every year he would get it MOT, taxed and serviced at the same time by the same garage. First couple of years was with Audi and he then started taking it to a local Indy.
The last 5 years of so, the car has either been parked at his house in the UK or parked at his house in Spain. With lack of use and no need for a car he finally decided to sell it.
Now starts my ownership.

Car:=-
1998 A4 1.9TDI 110 SE

Option codes:=-
H6U = Tires 205/55 R16 91W
C6R = Alloy wheels 6J x 17
1Q3 = Mass damper for steering wheel, XXHz
0YE = Weight range 5 installation control only, no requirement forecast
0JF = Weight category front axle weight range 6
1BE = Sports suspension/shock absorption
X2B = National sales program Great Britain
B0A = Component parts set without country-specific design requirement
0G2 = Selector lever
8RN = Sound package (brand sound)
8GD = Alternator 90A
J0R = Battery 380 A (80 Ah)
2PV = Leather trimmed sports steering wheel
3S2 = Black roof rails
G0E = 4-speed automatic transmission
M6N = 4-cyl. turbo diesel eng. 1.9 L/81 kW TDIwith MVEG 2 base engine is T1R
Q1D = Sports front seats
1AC = Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
5RV = Right exterior mirror: aspherical
5SJ = Left exterior mirror: convex
T1R = 4-cylinder diesel engine 1.9 L unit 028.R
4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
8UD = Radio "concert"
1LB = Disc brakes, front
3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)

Faults:=-
Paint work is a massive one. Needs a machine polish and allot of little scratches needs removing.
Leaking Oil feed pipe. FIXED
Turbo to exhaust gasket blowing. FIXED
Front suspension upper front, upper rear arms fell off the bushes and was rubbing on the top bracket. FIXED
Passenger side seat back wont stay on. FIXED
Boot trim snapped and not keeping load cover on. FIXED
Load cover needs replacing.
Stereo/CD changer, It wont all ways play music from the changer. FIXED
Rear bumper is cracked and needs replacing.
Missing rear bumper brackets. FIXED
Missing from bumper grills. FIXED
Rear bumper spoiler got a chunk taken out due to Towbar. FIXED
Cup holder wont stay down (Little but annoying). FIXED
DIS missing lines, unreadable and general crap. FIXED
Door lower strips rusting and about to fall off.
Passenger door rub strip bit missing.
FIXED
Auxiliary belt snapped when driving. FIXED
Drivers and passenger doors dropped. FIXED
Steering wheel badge damaged and paint missing.
Drivers door appears to be moving going over speed bumps.

Modifications:=-
Electric rear windows.
De-bage.
Removed the Towbar.
EGR removal.
VCDS coding.
Facelift scuttle panel tray.
Facelift wiper arms.
LED 3rd break light.
Cruise controlParking ticket holder.
Rear window trim.
Linked stereo to DIS
Facelift Dash Conversion
Interior LED upgrade.
Parking Ticket Holder.
Wind & Rain Deflectors
Chrome Striker Plates.
Passat Sun Glasses Holder.
Facelift wipers and scuttle plate cover.
Rear Electric windows
New control arms, springs and shocks with a little bit of a drop.
Alloy Wheels.
Shark Fin Aerial.
EGR Blanking & Engine Covers.
Electric Rear Blind.
Silver indicators bulbs & Clear side repeaters.W8 Interior Light With Mood Lighting.
Electric Folding Mirrors.
Facelift Air vents.
Facelift front lights.
240V Socket.
Debadge
Wood Removal
Bonnet Bra (SOLD)
Raised Boot Floor
Porsche Engine capsMore images.
LED reversing lights

Future ideas:=-
Facelift rear lights. Maybe.
Auto Open/Close boot lid. Big one but I really like the idea.
Facelift Clocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, like the advert from when your grandad got it.

Oh I want your steering wheel aswell :)

I fixed one of the oil leaks today.
I fixed the one that was causing the engine bay to smoke. :)

Some pics.
The old leaking part.
2011_01_25_0469.jpg

New union bolt joint thing.
2011_01_25_0476.jpg

New pipe
2011_01_25_0481.jpg

Today I removed my rear wiper and fitted some facelift lights.

First the rear wiper. Removed the wiper arm and mech, block off the water pipe and secure the pipe and mech plug. Clean the glass and fit the glass bung.

Job done. :)

Before

2011_01_29_0517.jpg

2011_01_29_0520.jpg

After

2011_01_29_0522.jpg

2011_01_29_0523.jpg

2011_01_29_0521.jpg

Next was the head lights. All ways thought the pre-facelift lights made the car look a bit dated (Dont think the car colour helped). Bought some new lights off Aragorn (Thanks mate) and set about fitting them today. I a couple things I did before fitting the lights was fit a new bulbs, a set of 4 Osram Night breakers plus. I also coated the lights with some Rainx, two coats.

Before

2011_01_29_0527.jpg

2011_01_29_0525.jpg

Half way

2011_01_29_0529.jpg

After

2011_01_29_0535.jpg

2011_01_29_0533.jpg

Bit of night driving tonight to see how they compare.

Nice work with the headlights, looks loads better. How did you get on with the wiring conversion form pre to post facelift?
All the cables was the same colour.
So easy. :)

I did double check them as i went to make sure.

Went out with the Osram Night breakers in and they are stunning. So much light, so white and oh so good.
well worth it.

Loads better, wouldn't mind putting facelifts on mine some day. Do you have to do any cutting to get the facelift lights to fit?

All the cables was the same colour.
So easy. :)

I did double check them as i went to make sure.

Went out with the Osram Night breakers in and they are stunning. So much light, so white and oh so good.
well worth it.

Ah, I guess you had the plugs and part of the loom with the new lights then.

Good work.

With this winter being cold and this morning being cold again, I've really annoyed with cold leather seats. Along with all the other things i want to do, I've added another one. Heated seats must be in y end of the year or i'm buying seat covers!!

Thanks to Jacktdi for showing me theses plates. Ordered them on sunday and they arrived on tuesday. Can't get better than that.

My new pressed plates.
Front
2011_02_02_0550.jpg

Rear
2011_02_02_0547.jpg

Good man, look good, not bad at all are they.

so the facelift head lights fit fine when you cut the inticator backing away on the wing? is everything else the same?
lovley car btw

I noticed that i never put up any pics of the Osram Night Breakers.

Here are dipped and main beam shining on a wall.
Off to dart moor this week to see how far they reach and what the beam is like with no obstructions or other lights.

2011_02_02_0553.jpg

2011_02_02_0554.jpg

Last weekend I replaced my disks, pads and wheel bearings.
All went well apart from one rounded carrier bolts, split cv boot, split caliper rubber and a split caliper slid bolt.

Here is some pics.

Rounded bolt
2011_02_19_0589.jpg

Split piston rubber
2011_02_19_0580.jpg

Old caliper and disk.
2011_02_19_0572.jpg

New happy disk
2011_02_19_0591.jpg

Looking good.

Just wondering about blanking your egr valve off, where abouts have you got it blanked? I've done mine at the exhaust manifold like you have and at the egr valve itself, now i've left my egr valve on and blanked the bit where the pipe used to go from the exhaust manifold to the egr valve because my plate wouldnt fit the hold where the egr is bolted to the inlet, the pipes been removed from the egr and blocked so the egr is shut, yet im getting a very small amount of oil coming from where I have my egr valve blanking plate? Any ideas?

I got the same issue mate.
I replaced the bolts and seal and it still leaks.
Tempted to make or buy one that bolts where the egr is.
It's really annoying.

Just taken mine off and put a cloth over one of the holes and blew through it, can hear air very slowly going through, deffo need a proper blanking plate for it I think, they only seem to make them for the audi/vw in one size though, custom jobbie im guessing.

Where are you with the old knakard wessex in the background in your second post?! Like the car by the way, allways regreted not getting an avant!

Just taken mine off and put a cloth over one of the holes and blew through it, can hear air very slowly going through, deffo need a proper blanking plate for it I think, they only seem to make them for the audi/vw in one size though, custom jobbie im guessing.

Yeah, bit **** really.
I'm off to the engineers tomorrow. I might have a chat to them and see they will let me play with their machines.

my Audi stereo been acting up for a couple of months and started getting worse but then it started working again and now its stopped working again.
A little bit ****** off I went in to halfords and bought another one.

I really wanted to stick with OEM stereo but with out going RNS I was never going to get any thing more than a CD player.
I opted for this one Halfords | Sendai CD988BT Bluetooth CD Radio with MP3 & USB Connectivity
I wanted something that almost matched the Audi LEDs and wanted bluetooth. I would have liked a becker unit but I got impatient and still unsure what to do with the ICE in the car at the moment. so this will do for now.

IMAG0124.jpg

I need to buy some leads and a couple of plugs tomorrow to wire the stereo in to the amp. Did a test fit and it appears to work fine by using the original amp leads.
Time will tell.

For thoses that dont know what it looks like this is the amp and sub.
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

CD change, CD change cartridge and head unit all going on ebay soon.

No that great is happening at the moment with the Audi.
Have spending out stupid amounts of money on the 206GTI I'm having to cut my spending on the Audi a little bit.
I am slowly building up parts for a coolant over hall next month.
Hopefully I will have a couple of extra bits coming this month as well to keep my entertain. I also got a wood working project that I might try and undertake when i'm at my dads, since he has all the wood working tools.

Little bit of a change.
I was wondering if my reserve tank would fit in the Audi.
So I went out and did a test fit.

Audi Tool kit
2011_03_05_0593.jpg

Or

BMW 9 Litre reserve tank.
2011_03_05_0595.jpg

Reactions: A3steve
My hinges start to annoy me.
They are covered in years of grease and dirty.
So I attacked them with some de-greaser and a stiff brush.

Befores
IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

And afters

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

I went back to the motherland this weekend (Bristol) to see the family and collect some bits.
I picked up a JL Audi 6w3 sub from a mate. I did not want any thing massive or something that would intrude in the boot and this should replace the original Audi unit.
Its not massively powerful but should be enough. if its not then I'll sell it and construct my own sealth box in the location of the current sub and 240V intervert.
Should be able to get a 10" in there.

IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0203.jpg

Mate had an old V12 amp sat in his loft for years, unsure if it works or not so gave it to me. I got a feeling it might be a bit to powerful for the baby sub. I'll see what happens.

IMAG0199.jpg

That sub will take it easy, JL subs can handle the power, sound great to.

What size is that sub, 6"? Looks tiny, never see them that small, but its JL so sure it be worlds away from standard Audi unit.

As for amp, better to have a more powerful amp turned down than the opposite way about so will be ideal for what you want from it.

I also have a Phoenix Gold QX4150 kicking about that hasnt worked for a while, sending it to the amp doctor and might run my comps active from it.

What size is that sub, 6"? Looks tiny, never see them that small, but its JL so sure it be worlds away from standard Audi unit.

As for amp, better to have a more powerful amp turned down than the opposite way about so will be ideal for what you want from it.

I also have a Phoenix Gold QX4150 kicking about that hasnt worked for a while, sending it to the amp doctor and might run my comps active from it.

Amp doctor?
Link?
If this amp dont work I might need to send it away.

Hes Gordon from Genesis, now repairs all types of stuff, comes very highly recommended.

Email is - doctor@amp-doctor.co.uk

He is on holiday ive been told and expected back around 22nd Mar.

Cool thanks.
I'll test it out and if I dont get any luck i'll email him.

Not much recently apart from sorting out parts and planing days to do the bits I got.
I did sort out my cruise control, which is nice.

Next weekend is coolant flush, clean, replace the thermostat, temp sensor and clean the injectors.
I'll do my best to get pics.
I want to filter the old coolant and see if there is bits in it. No real reason just think its be interesting.

I was awake and sat out side the car wash place by about 8am this morning, full of energy and motivation to do stuff to the car.
I got the car cleaned and then polished it, treated the rubber, leather and cleaned the glass.

Took this pic of the bonnet.
IMAG0228.jpg

Shame the hole car is covered in chips and scratches.

I also fitted theses.
IMAG0227.jpg

I'm running manual rear door cards cause i'm unable to find the correct replacements, I have the holes where the window winders went.
I thought the black round disks would look better than a hole.

Thats my car weekend done for now.

Was bored and had an urge to take some pics of the motor.

Here is the pics, dont think they are worthy of a new thread. so putting them in here.

Enjoy. :)

2011_03_27_1122.jpg

2011_03_27_1127.jpg

2011_03_27_1141.jpg

2011_03_27_1139.jpg

2011_03_27_1129.jpg