Badger5Volks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Question Recommend me a DSLR

Hi all, I have been after getting into photography for a while as i am not happy with the results i'm getting from my compact , I may be starting a digital photography coarse in september and would need a DSLR. I know i'm fairly new so need something that is easy to use and also not too expensive. I have been looking at the Nikon D40 and the Canon EOS 350D, are these a good choice? any advicewould be great thanks.
    Stephen

2. # ADS
    ADS

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    My mate Bill (who will be with me at Audi in the park) is a photographer for a living,he owns Synergy Studios, and he uses a Canon EOS 350D. He has a 20D as a back up camera. He says that the camera is just a box to hold film, its the lens that matters.
    But he does rate the Canon.

Having said that, two of my gun scopes are Nikon.
    When I have the spare cash I am getting a Canon myself, they are easy to use and you can get good results with little or no knowledge of photography.
    Its perfect for me

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    We have a 35mm EOS and it produces good pics. We are looking to replace it with a 30D soon as i have seen some very decent pics from my mates one

Smell my finger.

Status
    EOS400D here, great camera and cheap now too as the 450 is out
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

6th Gear

Status
    I have recently gone through the same process and in the end I opted for a Sony Alpha A300 kit from Jessops.

Sony bought Minolta and so it is based on their technology and you can use older Minolta lenses.

Just to throw another brand into the mix.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Smell my finger.

Status
    The new Sony cameras are great value and very nice.

The only issue that I might have is that the choice of lens is limited compared to the main players like Canon and Nikon. In time there will be more available but at the moment the choice is pretty limited and pretty pricey though.

Nice kit though, very nice.

T
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

alp a3

Status

slr

Hi mate i use a Canon 5d mk 2 with a 16-35mm f2.8 and a 70-200mm f2.8 etc. and find canon to be very easy to use and good qulaty. i have used the canno eos 400d and it is very light and a good cheep slr. but also have a look at the new 500d with its 15.1 megapixel and its high ISO range.

5th Gear

Status
    Have always had Canon mate. Very user friendly and capable of great results. At the moment have a Canon 40D.
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the comments guys, i'm kinda swaying towards the canon mainly because there are a lot on ebay going for good prices. next week i will most probably be the proud owner of s DSLR can't wait.

Brown passenger seat.

Status
    I was recently in the same shoes as you and i bought myself a Canon 350D and was very happy with it! Im not 100% on working everything yet but its great for the money i paid for it

The One And Only Brown Bora

Current: 2007 S3, Solar Orange - Revo Stage1 + all the toys
    Sold: 2000 S3, Black
    Sold: 2003 BAM Nogaro Blue S3, Revo Stage2, 19" Rial Daytona's, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 2001 A3 1.8T
    Sold: 2002 A3 1.8T, Custurd Code, BBS CH, AP Coilovers
    Sold: 1999 A3 1.6, Jewish Racing Gold, S4 Wheels

Xbox live ID: o_HODGE_o
    PS3 live ID: Hodge_09

4th Gear

Status
    Nikon D40 is a great wee camera and cheap too.. lots of reviews on

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/d200...d40-5d-xti.htm

He rates it better than the dearer Nikons and says its easier to use than a Canon..

2003 Silver A2 1.4 TDi - 65mpg & 30 a year to tax - ;-)
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 2.0 S-line - gone
    2000 Goodwood Green S6 4.2 V8 - gone

Neutral

Status
    Nikon for me! I'd go for the D80/D90. On par, or tad better at colour reproduction that Canon but Canon faor better in other areas but at this level its doesn't really matter.

What does matter 1000x more than features, functions and mega pixels is the glass that goes in front. Nikon kitlenses are so much better than Canon's*so if you do go for Canon get a body only and spend the reamining on a good Canon or Sigma lens. Prob only need a couple of lenses at this point, ie an 18-70 and 70-200/300.

Mate has Canon and was unimpressed when he saw the Ninon kit lens (a few years ago now) I had compared to his Canon kit lens. Still true today by all accounts if you read the reviews.... but don't let that impinge on your view of the Canon cameras.

Also, get some UV filters for the lenses.

A3 1.8T Quattro (2001 | Y) - Black, 5DR, Full Leather, Recaros, Climate, CD, Elec Everything, TT Alloys
    BMW 320 MSport Touring (2007 | 57) - Le Mans Blue, 18" MV3s, PDC, Cruise, CAR

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by technics100 View Post
    Nikon D40 is a great wee camera and cheap too.. lots of reviews on

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/d200...d40-5d-xti.htm

He rates it better than the dearer Nikons and says its easier to use than a Canon..

Aye, but D40/D40x/D60 don't have AF motors in the body so to get Auto-Focus you need to buy lenses that have built-in AF motors.

Great for beginners but limiting after a while.

A3 1.8T Quattro (2001 | Y) - Black, 5DR, Full Leather, Recaros, Climate, CD, Elec Everything, TT Alloys
    BMW 320 MSport Touring (2007 | 57) - Le Mans Blue, 18" MV3s, PDC, Cruise, CAR

My BM is fixed!

Status
    I had a 400D now I have a 50D.

I also have a 70-200 Tamron AF lens if you buy a Canon and need a zoom lens for it.....
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gti Jazz Blue View Post
    I have recently gone through the same process and in the end I opted for a Sony Alpha A300 kit from Jessops.

Sony bought Minolta and so it is based on their technology and you can use older Minolta lenses.

Just to throw another brand into the mix.

Paul
    i have a sony a300 which i'm thinking of selling
    PM me if interested

1st Gear

Status
    Ive got the Sony A200 - which im more than happy with, for for 260 for the kit its a perfect learners tool - and as stated you can bolt all the old minolta A mount lenses onto it, and there are also some lenses such as the Tamron 55-200 for around 60 quid to get you started.
    1996 JDM Celica GT Four

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I've got sony alpha 350, love it!

6th Gear

Status
    So there are a few of us with Sony Alphas then

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

5th Gear

Status
    Recently bought a D40. Am just about to buy a 55-200 (VR) lense, as you say with a built in motor.
    Hopefully that'll be ok as a general all round lense. Need something with a greater focal length for Le Mans next year!!
    1998 S4 Widebody Saloon Track Car
    2006 320d SE Touring - Ze Fuhrer's Wagon
    2001 B5 RS4 510bhp & 508ft lbs SOLD
    1.9TDI (130) Sport -Black-Revo - Mrs Stoakseya4's mota - SOLD

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    I got my first DSLR 2 months back to start with. Opted for the Nikon D3000 and works nicely for me! Love it!
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Its not much more than a 350D body but i would seriously consider the 20D. Yea its a old camera (thier onto the 70D very soon) but still it is 8 megapixels (dont get caught up in the pixel race, 8 megapixels will produce cracking A3 photographic prints!) but most of all the 20D is a soild well build camera.

The 350D dont get me wrong is a very nice camera but is small and plasticky, where as the 20D is slightly larger and is made from magnesium alloy, making it very srong and durable.

Lenses are widely avaliable for both these cameras but remember the 1.6x crop factor on both. ie. If you have a 28-100mm zoom, it will atchually be a 36-160mm zoom. So if you want something wide, look at the Canon 18-55mm lenses are they are quite affordable.

Hope this helps

6th Gear

Status
    I have a 350d, it's a good camera, battery life is well good.

The lens is the real important thing though.

I have an EF 50mm 1:1.4 lens, and man does it take a cracking good picture!

But you can spend seriously silly money and buy fantastic lenses if you want stunning pictures.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

Gazza

Status
    been using nikon for the last 13 years [digital for 6 years],Canon or Nikon, you wont go far wrong, look for a kit with of a couple of lenses, as they can be expensive.Get the best you can, and spend as much as you can, cos you'll wished you had if you dont.
    ps. just cos you spend a lot on a camera, dose'nt mean you won't take crap pictures at times.

Eternal Sentiment

Status
    Great thread. I am about to purchase a dslr. Thanks for your replies.

Jordan.
    Last edited by JordanRHughes; 17th May 2010 at 23:11.

6th Gear

Status
    Hi Jordan

I'm also a Jordan

I just bought a Canon 450D and i love it
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    talking cameras is like talking about car tuning etc, it's subjective and all down to personal opinion.

Being a photographer myself i'd have to agree with Sidibear in that it's more about the lens than it is the Camera Body, but a great lens can take great photos on an average body. It doesn't work the other way, ie. Crap lens on a Great Body will still give you below average photos.

You can spend countless hours, days, weeks reading reviews and asking opinions on what is the best Camera, but in the end it's best to have a couple in mind, walk into a store and hold it. As soon as you hold the camera, you'll be able to decide pretty quickly. Canon vs Nikon are all fairly on par these days (can't really go wrong either way) much as APR vs GIAC vs REVO etc are all pretty much on par.

If you're starting out, i'd probably suggest in an average camera body and a good lens. If you can afford it, get a good camera body and good lens.

Pentax have really good camera bodies and have superb lenses. If they had a fullframe camera system i'd switch back to them, as their lenses are the same if not better than Nikon and Canon but without the crazy price tags.

P.S i'm a canon user - love it. love all other brands, but already heavily invested in canon lenses.
    CURRENT: 2010 Audi A4 2.0TQ S-Line | Meteor Grey
    FOR SALE: S3 8P OEM Exhaust & OEM Haldex CLICK HERE

SOLD: 2007 Audi S3 | Sprint Blue | APR | Haldex | Mount Insert | BMC CAI | Milltek Turbo-Back |
    SOLD: 2004 Audi A3 1.8T | APR