Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: Skomer Puffins

4th Gear

Status

Skomer Puffins

went to skomer on monday - puffin's a plenty

they're fast little buggers so have plenty of blurry ones, even at 1/1600!

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

all shot with 30D + 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM

cheers

drew

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Brilliant! Puffins are cool birds - I love the airborne ones, especially this one:

Quote Originally Posted by buckas View Post
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

5th Gear

Status
    Some nice Puffin shots mate. Have the pics been Photoshopped at all? Colours look stunning though.
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

4th Gear

Status
    only post-processing is a smidge of sharpening and tweaking levels - thanks guys

drew

Administrator

Status
    You're a git. It's as simple as that.

...Only joking fella, they're really great shots - and there's easily a couple that look like it'd be worth them going up against Andy Rouse and the rest in some competitions.

But yes, my first comment was a knee-jerk reaction. I've just about sorted out my shopping list for my kit-bag upgrade, and I had just talked myself out of getting that glass with it - and now I'm thinking again. It's both frustrating and a blessing that the 28-300 at an extra few hundred quid is only a 3.5-5.6 - I'd probably never wind it out much beyond 200mm anyway, so not worried about the IQ at max length (I've got a 170-500 that I use if I need silly zoom) but it'd be very useful to get inside 70mm without swapping lenses. I've got a 70-300 4-5.6 at the moment and there are times when I find myself swapping between that and a basic 18-55 quite frequently.

The more pocket-friendly plan I had settled-on (trying to convince myself it was beneficial in terms of lens-swapping (beside the fact I count being able to swap lenses whenever you like to get the best glass for the shot one of the primary benefits of SLR)) was to get the 18-200 IS, but that f/2.8 glass of yours is in a different league. I've been reading nothing but good things about it for ages and that's tempting enough, but now it's on ASN too! Do you reckon my Bank Manager would agree it's an omen?

...And if he'd agree to that, maybe a second new body to make life easier too?

Anyway, sorry for the random waffle, and again - stunning work bud!

Regards,

Rob.
    The truth they're trying to keep from you is that IPv6 has nothing to do with address space; we're actually running out of full stops.

4th Gear

Status
    haha, cheers rob

i know your dilemma, so many lovely things to buy but sooo much money!

i got the 70-200 about 3 years ago now, back then it was 1150 - thanks to the lovely pound vs yen (or that's what canon are saying for the increase excuse was in jan 09) it was upto about 1600 o_O - thankfully now i think it's dropping again recent prices around 1300

i'm on the look out for a 1.4 extender to go with the 70-200 at the moment - which will give the reach of 35mm equivalent 280mm (more on crop camera's - (448mm) 1.6x on 30/40/50d or (364mm)1.3x on 1d) at the loss of an f/ stop

even though it's an expensive option, you'll only ever buy 1 version of a lens, whereas body's you can chop and change - it's an investment, well that's what i tell the missus anyways

cheers again

drew

*edit* there's always a good second hand option http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/ind...gory_filter=41

Last edited by buckas; 1st June 2009 at 09:57.