Recommend me a camera sub £200

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a digital compact camera. I've been looking at Canon Ixus70 and Sony DSC-W80 but its all starting to get a little confusing!

Thanks

Cheers mate - I've been looking at the 7.1 Mega Pixel version of this camera too. Any other recomendations guys?

Panasonic FZ7 for me. Ive had 2 FZ20s and a FZ5 and absolutly love them. They take a great pic with the added bonus of a 12x optical zoom and splendid Leica optics. Have a look through the reccomended list on dpreview and look at the specs and photo samples of some of them that should give you a beter idea of whats on the market.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

Thanks for the website - however the camera you use/suggest is a tad big!

Depends what you're looking for, a decent point and shoot camera, or something thats aimed more for an amatuer photographer.

For a point and shoot camera I would definately recommend the fuji finepix range or a samsung nv3 (which you can pick up for a bit over 100 quid from the right places).

I have a sony cybershot f717 which is great, its just not a point and shoot, so its really bulky with lots of modes/settings but takes fantastic macro pictures. I don't take it out much though, only when I know I'm gonna be taking lots of pics, otherwise (I know this sounds like a cop out) but I use my sony k800 phone, which is fine for pics when out I'm out with mates etc and need to take a pic!

Ed said:
Depends what you're looking for, a decent point and shoot camera, or something thats aimed more for an amatuer photographer.

For a point and shoot camera I would definately recommend the fuji finepix range or a samsung nv3 (which you can pick up for a bit over 100 quid from the right places).

I have a sony cybershot f717 which is great, its just not a point and shoot, so its really bulky with lots of modes/settings but takes fantastic macro pictures. I don't take it out much though, only when I know I'm gonna be taking lots of pics, otherwise (I know this sounds like a cop out) but I use my sony k800 phone, which is fine for pics when out I'm out with mates etc and need to take a pic!

I use my K800i too - not a bad camera phone especially with the auto focus but its time to get a proper camera

Ive got a Lumix TZ3. 10x optical zoom in your pocket :w00t: its 7.1mp, with image stabalization too

panasonic-dmc-tz3-back.jpg

I find the Canon Ixus is excellent. Small and compact to fit in your pocket and great picture quality - and I only have the 5mb version!

I like my Casio Exilim.
Nicely styled, with a red finish.
Never had so many "ooh, nice looking camera" comments with any others.
Remember, no point setting your camera to any more than 5MP if you only intend to print 7" x 5", or 8" x 6".
You only need the higher MP settings for large prints.
Even then, it's debatable...

camera2.jpg

camera1.jpg

bowfer said:
You only need the higher MP settings for large prints.

Agreed, thats why i went with the TZ3, 7mp is ample and the 10x optical zoom is huge for such a slim camera, coupled with the digital zoom it max's out at 40x zoom :scared2:

there is one rather silly mistake that panasonic made with this camera: You cant zom whilst filming video :sadlike:

There are loads of cameras that cannot zoom while in video mode, it's just the way they are. But just remember it's a camera first!

I suggest the Nikon Tough range, they're excellent and some of them are waterproof to 3 metres! Still 7.1mp

Defratos said:
well my camera zooms while recording ;P, check out the Sony T2, just bought one over the Christmas holiday & its great, 8.1 meg pixel, and around £230.

Most do this, only problem is if you have sound you can hear the lens drive motor whining on the recording.