Some of pics the gf's A3

Shutter

Reaction score
Apparently I can't post URLs until I've posted twice. So here's number 1..

Took the gf's car to a multi-storey to play with some camera techniques. Thought you guys (and gals) might appreciate them.

CRW_7558_2-1.jpg

CRW_7559-2.jpg

CRW_7553-2.jpg

CRW_7547-2.jpg

Hi(er)-res versions >here<

Mate, very nice.

Can I ask, what setup are you using? I've just purchased a D-SLR, after years of 'point and shoot' i thought it was about time to upgrade. I've got a Sony a100.

Have you got any useful tips, sites, examples, 'how tos' or anything that can get my experimenting with the camera at all?!

Are you using an external flash?!

Regards, Jim..

Very good photos
I really like picture No 2

Jimm3h said:
Mate, very nice.

Can I ask, what setup are you using? I've just purchased a D-SLR, after years of 'point and shoot' i thought it was about time to upgrade. I've got a Sony a100.

Have you got any useful tips, sites, examples, 'how tos' or anything that can get my experimenting with the camera at all?!

Are you using an external flash?!

Regards, Jim..

I'm using a Canon 300D. Had it a few years now and it just keeps on getting better and better. For these I used either my stock 18-55mm or Sigma 70-300mm (stood well back!) lens.

I'd say one of the most important things to learn about to get better pics is how photography actually works - apetures, shutter speeds, depth of focus etc. Get yourself a good book to read and then go out and try it. Doesn't have to be anything particular - your looking to practice the technique rather than the subject.

A great website for car photography is this one from Matt Watkinson.

****** nice! i've had a canon 400D from crimbo, so i'm pleased you can get those kind of results with the camera

Oi Big 'ead! You registered just to show your pics!

They look fantastic though good work :icon_thumright:

silver75 said:
Oi Big 'ead! You registered just to show your pics!

They look fantastic though good work :icon_thumright:

****** ell i over looked that! by jove your right! just showing off his Camera skills.

Great pictures ,would'nt look out of place on an audi advert !!!!

very nice pics, see for the 2nd pic, is there much work done in photoshop? what way did you take the pic?

I think I read that Audi Driver are running an Audi themed photo contest. These pics could do well.

Thanks for the great comments guys.

As for the process, as you can see below, there was a certain amount of post-production involved.

The setup, for the pic below, was basically my Canon 300D using my kit 18-55mm (@35mm) on a tripod as I was exposing for 5s at f/18 to ensure I get the best detail and enough light. The long exposure creates that star burst effect from the lights. I used the timer function to get away from the camera to avoid shake/vibration. I think shooting in RAW made a big difference in bringing out the detail and the light levels.

As for the competition - I had a quick flick through Audi Driver in WHSmith - not that I need a pair of binoculars but I suppose a £675 pair can't be a bad thing to have. Worth ago any I feel, even if I just get a pic published. Think I might go back (now the car's back sparkling after a service) and have another go.

//before

//after

Any more details on how you did the second pic? what did you do in the above photo in photoshop to get it like that?

technics100 said:
Any more details on how you did the second pic? what did you do in the above photo in photoshop to get it like that?

The second pic was done with a suction mount (pic below) stuck to the rear window on a 5s exposure while I was pushing the car along at 2mph.

asuction_pad.jpg

As for the pproduction process - it not strict recipe. A combination of curves, saturation, a little cloning to remove the unwanted objects, burning out of features.....it took a little while.