Chris NottVolks Autos
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979

    Few Of My Photos So Far

    Hey,

    So Ive had my nikon dslr for a few months now and im actually loving it!

    Recently ive been playing about with night shots, heres a link to the ones im doing upto the current date

    Light Painting Album - a set on Flickr

    Still learning like I say only had the camera a few months

    Heres the rest, all car shows :D

    Flickr: D2NY G Photography's Photostream

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Nice work, it's not easy to get Light Painting right, it's a lot of trial and error involved. You know those light streaks are easily avoided by ensuring you don't point the light source directly at the camera lens? (just a tip if you didn't already know). What exposure are you using, do you have a "bulb" function on your camera or are you running around like a loony trying to get the light coverage in 30 seconds?

    Do you layer several exposures in photoshop or are these all single exposures in your gallery? I like the ones of the blue BMW.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  4. #3
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Nice work, it's not easy to get Light Painting right, it's a lot of trial and error involved. You know those light streaks are easily avoided by ensuring you don't point the light source directly at the camera lens? (just a tip if you didn't already know). What exposure are you using, do you have a "bulb" function on your camera or are you running around like a loony trying to get the light coverage in 30 seconds?

    Do you layer several exposures in photoshop or are these all single exposures in your gallery? I like the ones of the blue BMW.
    Cheers mate, a know sometimes my torch light shows up a slight bit in the pics some of the light over the top ov the cars anyway is intentional

    Ive got cs5 but still learning so all my pics at the mo are un edited, once i can do photoshop i can make a picture out of a few layers

    So yeh all one exposure shots till i get to grips with editing, still only early days for me yet

  5. #4
    SL11CKK's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Barking & London
    Posts
    615

    Re: Few Of My Photos So Far

    DSC0426 is the best for especially how u captured the orange sky. Reminds me of back home.

  6. #5
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by SL11 CKK View Post
    DSC0426 is the best for especially how u captured the orange sky. Reminds me of back home.
    Cheers pal :D

    Good to hear am on the right path :D

  7. #6
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,908
    For light painting get yourself a Lenser P7, it goes from narrow beam to flood, is a very white light so doesn't upset your white balance, and then put a piece of tissue or bog paper over the end of it to help eliminate hot spots caused by the light focusing on the object. Put your camera on a 30 sec exposure and gently and slowing paint the car with the torch, then try another 30 sec exposure and do the bits you didn't have time for the first time, you can even hold the beam over a certain area to highlight it, the alloys for instance. Then you can experiment with different lens coverings, plastic bags are good for it, red or orange carrier bags over the lens, try several layers to darken the colour.
    Then all you need to do is stack the images.
    Try photomatix for stacking. HDR photography software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & High Dynamic Range Imaging for photography
    Take a couple of shots and join them together / over each other, and then you can tone map it to get great HDR effects.

    The Eiffel tower example on the page link is three shots stacked, (Bracketed) one normal exposure, one under and one over exposed. The normal shot is the baseline, under gives depth into the shadows and lightens dark areas, over gives back depth to the shadows and darkens the lighter areas, with the tone mapping you just move the sliders until you get the effect you want.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  8. #7
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    For light painting get yourself a Lenser P7, it goes from narrow beam to flood, is a very white light so doesn't upset your white balance, and then put a piece of tissue or bog paper over the end of it to help eliminate hot spots caused by the light focusing on the object. Put your camera on a 30 sec exposure and gently and slowing paint the car with the torch, then try another 30 sec exposure and do the bits you didn't have time for the first time, you can even hold the beam over a certain area to highlight it, the alloys for instance. Then you can experiment with different lens coverings, plastic bags are good for it, red or orange carrier bags over the lens, try several layers to darken the colour.
    Then all you need to do is stack the images.
    Try photomatix for stacking. HDR photography software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & High Dynamic Range Imaging for photography
    Take a couple of shots and join them together / over each other, and then you can tone map it to get great HDR effects.

    The Eiffel tower example on the page link is three shots stacked, (Bracketed) one normal exposure, one under and one over exposed. The normal shot is the baseline, under gives depth into the shadows and lightens dark areas, over gives back depth to the shadows and darkens the lighter areas, with the tone mapping you just move the sliders until you get the effect you want.
    Cheers pal!

    Thats some great info there this should help me loads, thank you :D

  9. #8
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,908
    No problem, where are you based?

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  10. #9
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    No problem, where are you based?
    Im from sheffield me pal

  11. #10
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,908
    No worries, if you were a bit closer we could have met up and I could have given you a light painting workshop.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  12. #11
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    No worries, if you were a bit closer we could have met up and I could have given you a light painting workshop.
    That would have been quite cool,

    Ive just got ma self one of them torches, my market £3 special one wasnt cutting it

  13. #12
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    1,908
    A Lenser P7 ?
    Wait until you see how bright it is at night. Its the perfect thing for filtering with different colours as its still powerful enough to give a good beam.

    (Can also be used for personal protection, shine it in someone's eyes and they are not going to be able to see anything for the next 20 minutes, I do not recommended doing it to yourself just to find out !)

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  14. #13
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    A Lenser P7 ?
    Wait until you see how bright it is at night. Its the perfect thing for filtering with different colours as its still powerful enough to give a good beam.

    (Can also be used for personal protection, shine it in someone's eyes and they are not going to be able to see anything for the next 20 minutes, I do not recommended doing it to yourself just to find out !)
    haha quality,

    yeh thats the one, seen lense filter kits and that on ebay aswell might have to get them too

    been having the cam in manual and playing with the settings my self now, gives me a better understanding of whats going on like, probs helping me learn more aswell

  15. #14
    Jonathaan's Avatar
    Diesel Power!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    405
    Very nice photos pal, some great cars aswell (Y)

  16. #15
    Habitual's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    143

    My Social Networking

    Follow Habitual On Twitter Add Habitual on Facebook
    Good work on your first go! I hope when I eventually get around to trying this, I can do half as good.

  17. #16
    Ghost's Avatar
    Boo!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,042
    Hi D2NY G.. hope you don’t mind me asking, looking through your Flickr photos, what’s the Sheffield Art / Urbex about? I love this art, can you tell me a little more about it…. Is the Art still there, is it in one place?
    Lots of stunning photos in that album, this is some of the best of what iv seen….



    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/photography-digital-darkroom/155125-house-art.html

  18. #17
    D2NY G's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky View Post
    Hi D2NY G.. hope you don’t mind me asking, looking through your Flickr photos, what’s the Sheffield Art / Urbex about? I love this art, can you tell me a little more about it…. Is the Art still there, is it in one place?
    Lots of stunning photos in that album, this is some of the best of what iv seen….



    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/photography-digital-darkroom/155125-house-art.html
    Cheers mate,

    yeah im into grafitti art work these are all around sheffield, constatly updating it aswell so keep checking

    got loads n loads more places to visit aswell

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Few High Quality Photo's Taken At Weekend
    By D2NY G in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15th May 2012, 11:49
  2. Some of my car and a few random winter photo's
    By Mick a3 in forum Photography & The Digital Darkroom
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th November 2010, 20:51
  3. Latest photos with a few subtle changes
    By Crunch in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th February 2009, 20:05
  4. few photos after detail
    By kettle in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 30th July 2008, 13:27
  5. few photos
    By khalil in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20th April 2008, 13:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO