New Camera - Test Photos

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new camera to replace my ageing Canon D30, which i've always disliked. Replaced with another Canon but this time a 1D. I also wanted to try out the 50mm which I picked up too...

S36.jpg

S33.jpg

S31.jpg

S32.jpg

S35.jpg

S37.jpg

Reactions: Sandra
Which Mk version of 1D is it?

Good shots. Can't go wrong with a prime lens.

Cheers Warren. Its a Mk1, bought it second hand (obviously) for £275 from a guy who used it as a back-up in the studio so it's mint and hasn't been used too much.

I've been toying with getting a new camera for a while but so much other stuff to spend money on it has always come low on the priority list, but I finally decided to go for something cheap just so I can start doing a bit more as the last camera was so cack it put me off. So the choice was was either a new bottom end Canon or something secondhand, the price I got this 1D for it's a no-brainer to be honest. Its down on megapixels compared with up to date cameras, but i'm not sure that really matters too much for me. The motor drive will be priceless for the footy stuff I do and at motor racing.

So now it's just a case of trying to get a bit more serious about it and learn a bit more and get better!

The 50mm is one of my favourites for car stuff.

A few more randoms with the same camera.

Monkey.jpg

Bo2.jpg

B89C9252.jpg

B89C9250.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
Nick, those pics are really excellent. The picture clarity is amazing. You got a good buy there:) x

I've found that megapixels can be as much of a hindrance as a benefit, particularly in cheaper cameras. In the last year Canon has rolled back the number of MP's on some non SLR camera sensors (like the SX30is which my wife uses as her holiday camera has been superseded by the 40is which has 2MP less). I can understand why, as images were lacking vibrancy and brightness (without a lot of post processing). As the pixels were being too tightly packed onto the sensor the available light to each was getting less and less.

In SLR cameras with larger sensors it's not such an issue, but my experiences (I run a 5.66MP Nikon D2H and an 18MP Nikon D7000) are that particularly when shooting in RAW mode with a decent pro series zoom or prime there is very little to tell between the two cameras. Most of the losses are realised in the lens, and actually the higher MP D7000 is more ruthless about exposing lens limitations (abberation / vignetting) than the D2H. The D2H is a CCD sensor, whereas the D7000 is C-MOS, so the D2H suffers a bit from noise in low light situation, and you can't crop and retain detail in the same way as you can from the D7000.

That said, the D2H is nigh on 6-7 years old, and it's AF detection / reliability is second to none. Whilst the D7000 has over 50 focussing points (against D2H's 11), it struggles like hell to focus in really low light where the D2H nails it every single time. Hard to believe in 7 years they can't significantly improve contrast detection AF on the newer tech. And as you say the motor drive in the bigger pro cameras mean you never miss a shot.

Think you made a good choice with the EOS-1i, it's a bulletproof piece of kit, totally dependable, and you'll get shots with it that the D30 couldn't even capture!

Fantastic pics indeed!
Missus getting me new camera next week-Canon 1100D(previously had 300d which I sold while back,still got my lenses tho)