EM TuningVolks Autos

Thread: Nikon d5100

Sideways

Status

Nikon d5100

My girlfriend loves taking pictures and IMO takes some pretty good shots with the point and shoot and her iPhone. So I've decided to get her a proper camera so she can take it a bit more seriously. I've found some good package deals with the Nikon d5100, but as I know next to nothing about cameras I thought I'd ask the experts. So does anyone have one? Does it live up to the reviews? Or should I avoid it? Any opinion welcome. Thanks, Paul.

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I have a D5100 - purchased it in November 2011 - in my opinion its a great camera for the price.

As you already know, its a beginner D-SLR camera, which means you can pretty much customise all the settings; aperture, shutter-speed, ISO Speed.etc - whilst also having the option of full-auto settings.

It can take a while to get used to the settings but its worth it.

Baring in mind this isn't a camera that can be slipped into your pocket, so a good quality camera bag is needed (I have a Lowepro nova 180)

Battery life is fine with these cameras, however spare batteries are around £40 (you have to get genuine Nikon as the replica batteries get rejected by the camera)

The kit lens provided (think its usually a 18-55mm) is ok quality wise, but the camera performs so much better with a different lens of higher quality - I have a 70-300mm VRII lens for zoom photography.

Just make sure she is going to use the features, it may be worthwhile (and cost effective) to consider a Hybrid/Bridge camera.
    Bridge cameras are usually compact cameras with a larger fixed lens - they also allow you to change some of the more advanced settings, usually a good stepping stone from a compact to a D-SLR.

Lemmie know if you have any other questions!

5th Gear

Status
    snapsort is the best site for comparing, we were talking in the office yesterday about the new p510 9mp superzoom so we ran it against the d5100 and d3100

Nikon D5100 vs P510
    Nikon P510 vs D3100

in the office we all have nikons d3100/d5100/d7000 etc etc
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

Sideways

Status
    Thanks for the replies. She'll definitely use the camera a lot, so I'm not worried about it being left in a cupboard. What I don't want to do is buy a bridge camera and then she wants to upgrade anyway in 6 months or so. Good advice about the lense, so now I need to find a package that includes, camera, bag, sd card, spare battery, and atleast 2 lenses. Best get looking!

A3 3.2 Quattro Sport

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by willowsdad View Post
    Thanks for the replies. She'll definitely use the camera a lot, so I'm not worried about it being left in a cupboard. What I don't want to do is buy a bridge camera and then she wants to upgrade anyway in 6 months or so. Good advice about the lense, so now I need to find a package that includes, camera, bag, sd card, spare battery, and atleast 2 lenses. Best get looking!
    I get my memory cards from 7dayshop.com - they are good quality and very well priced.