my ameteur photoshoot

Fahim

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought i'd share a few photos of mine and a friends car. These photos were taken last night as we were bored and thought we'd go for our first official photoshoot.

By no means is my friend a photographer. He has no prior experiance or training. Just a ****** expensive camera because he has nothing to spend his money on except gadgets. Keep telling him to take lessons and pass his test and buy a car, but hes more intent on spending £500 on ipads and the like.

Hope you like the photos!

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/9337/37949154369072429815958.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Not bad for a first attempt. What lens was used here?

Tell your mate, that if he has money burning a hole in his pocket to invest in a good prime (i.e. fixed focal length and not a zoom) lens, someting like a 35mm or 50mm, useful for great car stills, and also useful for some portrait work.

Not bad for a first attempt. What lens was used here?

Tell your mate, that if he has money burning a hole in his pocket to invest in a good prime (i.e. fixed focal length and not a zoom) lens, someting like a 35mm or 50mm, useful for great car stills, and also useful for some portrait work.
Can I ask why a fixed focal length is any different to a zoom at the same focal length, I need the right lens for car shots so genuinely interested.

Primes tend to be faster (larger possible apertures, allowing faster shutter speeds) than zooms. They also tend to give sharper images, as there are far fewer components within them to contribute to imperfections like chromatic aberration (colours not being lined up, giving a coloured "fringe" around objects). It's far cheaper for a good quality prime compared to a good quality zoom.

You do have to bare in mind that all lens ranges, prime or zoom, tend to have those that are known for being sharp lenses and those that are known for being not-so-sharp, so don't always assume that a lens will be better just because it's a prime.

Another thing to take into account, is how you intend to use it. Zooms are far more flexible than primes, for obvious reasons. You probably wouldn't want a huge bag with 10 primes when a decent zoom would do almost the same job, probably for less money.

If you're just starting out, I would suggest buying a reasonable quality zoom first. That way you'll have something to cover most situations in a reasonable quality without breaking the bank. Once you're a bit more into it and have found your preferred style, you'll be able to buy good quality primes that suit you, based on the focal lengths you use in most of your shots. There's no point buying a prime now, only to find that you would have been better off buying a different one, it could be frustrating enough to put you off photography altogether.

Last edited:
Agree with above. I love my prime lenses.
Only got two and thats all I use for day to day.
If i need any specific I hire it.

Nice images and some nice cars.
Your mate did well.