Paint Restoration - post Scotland Meet

AL_B

Reaction score
Well guys I tried to restore the front bumper paintwork to its former glory on Saturday. But unfortunately Meguiars is not a miracle worker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The worst bit on my car is the lower painted section, below the fog lights and lower grill. Its very rough.

I started out by washing the front of the car. Dried it, then started with the Meguairs Quick Clay bar. The clay bar does smooth out some of the surface blemishes a little, but not enough.

I then decided to try the Scratch X. I did this twice. Again no success, but just for completeness I continued on and did the rest of the bumper. Finally I put on two coats of Gold Class wax to get at least a little bit of smoothness back.

Any more suggestions other than T-cut or a re-spray?

RE: Scratch X

Has this worked for anyone? There are some very fine scratches/swirls on the bonnet, which are only visible in the garage under artificial light - not visible outside. Sounds like an ideal job for Scratch X.

Does it work? Nope. It had absolutely no effect at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

RE: Clay Bar

The Clay Bar and Quick Detailer combination is very good though. I used it on the painted sills on the S3. There was tons of "welded on" grime on the paintwork. On some of the lighter grime, the clay bar just cut through it and removed it from the paintwork. It took a bit more effort to remove some of the more stubborn marks, but the end result is paintwork that literally is as smooth as glass!! Its amazing. Once smooth and dry, you then apply the Gold Class Wax. Sills are now like new.

AL

Try the Meguiars 3 stage. Seems to have worked for me. Failing that, I have another Meguiars product; the paint restorer which did a good job too.

I have heard that Zaino do the best product for removing swirls, everyone raves about it on the S2ki site. Apparently very expensive to buy approx £100, but DOES work!
I haven't looked for the website yet.

I agree, I now think that Scratch X is crap, and I won't buy it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I used to use *everything* Autoglym, still use some of there products, and even though they give you that great shine, the product is not as easy to apply and remove and shine is not sustained over a period of time.

The Meguiars product i.e. Gold Class Wax, is a ****** good shine, equal to Autoglym, but lasts longer and does not have as much evil white residue on removal.

IMO there is nothing to match the 3 stage, apart from spending some serious cash with Zymol, and still then I cannot see how my car could be any more shiney?????????

I need a product that completes all 3 stages without the ****** hard work that is involved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Oh and I bought a new chamois for £18 and it is crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif should have stuck to me old faithful Autoglym synthetic one. Going to get a new microfibre one very soon... watch this space.