Audi's Engines

amoffat

Reaction score
Website
www.uk.experian.com
Why do Audi struggle to compete on performance with BMW? For example look at the 2.5 and 3.0 litre petrol engines. The 330Ci will do 0-60 in 5.9 secs and then onto a limited 155mph, its a different story in the A4 3.0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. The same comparison can be made with the A4 2.4 and the 325i.

It makes me mad. With the diesels, it is a similar story: the 2.5V6 TDi Vs the 330d and the 19.TDi (130) Vs the 320d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

At least the 1.8T is quick... not that it sounds very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S4 old and new engines are powerful and torquey

[/ QUOTE ]
Compare the engines! 3.2 6 cylinder normally aspirated Vs 4.2 V8 !!!! Bit of a difference there and the S4 is still slower.

I think BMW can sit back and think "our engines don't need to be tuned" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I do think that Audi are targetting a slightly different market. IMO handling such as BMW Vs Audi is fairly irrelevant in the *real* world, off the track. The S4 probably drives nicer than the M3 on most roads that it will be used on, but on a track the M3 will whoop it.

Am I talking crap here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't think you are talking crap Moff. I think a car like the M3 is more driver focused, and perhaps better on a track. But I don't know, not driven one, but would like to! :)

Think the S4 is/will be, like the S3, a great allrounder. OK-ish handling whatever the weather. I think most people would struggle with an M3 with weather in this country. Wonder how DHA is getting on with his?

AL

Sadly I couldnt agree more.
When I changed the 80tdi estate, I looked long and hard at quicker Audis, the S2 avant and the A4 2.8 Quattro Avant.
The S2 realy disapointed me, sure in its day it was a good car, but by todays standards...? The 2.8 A4 felt lifeless, the stering was realy vague, and the engine just felt bland even compared to wifeys old Mk3 VR6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I test drove a 328i touring, and bought it. It handled crisply, with the esc turned on it out handled the pair of Audis, and I could feel the road through the wheel. I wish it had been an Audi, I realy do. I have had 4 audis in a row, and love the marque, but until they build a car with feeling for the driver, I shall drink from the other cup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Ok (flame proof pants time) a turbo Audi can be tuned to fly, with wheel, tyre and geometry mods they can handle well to. I cant afford/ dont want to modify any more, if I want a fast car I buy one.

Lets please exclude the fantastic AMG engines from that line-up... they are amazing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I wasn't including AMG or even the M-tech engines in my opinions, the standard BMW engine is just fine for perforamnce and refinement.

I feel that Audi sit between Mercedes and BMW in regard to Chassis and Engines IMO.